Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diversity in Stargate (and Sci-Fi, in general)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diversity in Stargate (and Sci-Fi, in general)

Over the past couple of months, there have been a few discussions about diversity in Stargate (e.g., whether or not race is a factor in casting or if the writers can write capable women characters). I think this is a topic that should be discussed (by those who want to, of course). If you think everything is A-OK and Stargate and other shows are perfect as is, let us know why you think so. If you think diversity in science fiction (TV, movies, and books) could use some fixing and can propose some changes, share those too.

I have a question to start off:
    1) Is it a coincidence that the least developed characters on some shows are "minorities"? I can name several off the top of my head: Teyla, Ford (SGA; meanwhile minor characters such as Zelenka, Beckett, and even Kavanaugh get more lines and screen time); Teal'c (for the first couple of seasons of SG:1); Mayweather, Sato (Enterprise); Pete (Smallville); Uhura, Sulu (TOS).

I look forward to an exchange of wonderful and mature ideas. Also, I do have one request: can we avoid unnecessarily using such buzz words and phrases as "racist", "politically correct" and "pulling out the race card"? I think these are overused and misused expressions and are usually used to close down serious thoughts and discussions.
    Last edited by skye1974; 15 July 2005, 09:50 AM.
    Earth...steaks. There's a difference?

TOS of Star Trek was groundbreaking in its day. When it aired, you didn't see black people on tv. ST:TOS in fact, screened the first interracial kiss... ok, it may have been quite contrived in that it was a storyline where they were forced to, but you just didn't see that happen on TV back then. Putting colour aside, Star Trek has done a LOT for promoting diversity, in that there are so many races that work together, each bringing their skills to the table. ST has always included people of all races and colours.

Comment

Yeah, I have to admit, my reference to TOS was a dated one. Just simply being on-screen at that time was a big deal for non-whites.
      Earth...steaks. There's a difference?

Comment

Working...
      X