This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The midwest?

I'm from Michigan and my state is considered to be in the midwest. Can someone please explain to me why? Michigan is clearly in the east. Way, way, WAY back when, when America had just been colonized, Michigan was a territory in the west. But times have changed since then. I will be forever confused.
    Visit The Station (Warning: NOT family appropriate)

Hail to the victors!

Well, the way it was explained to me is that we were originally part of the northwest-territories -- way, way back (apparently we were technically part of Virginia before that, but that’s another story.) When the US acquired the Louisiana purchase (Basically everything west of the Mississippi –close enough anyway) Michigan was no longer “Northwest” so it became to be known as the mid west….Don’t know if it’s true but it sounds good anyway.
    Mostly nowadays I hear Michigan being described as being in the upper Midwest or the great lakes region.

Comment

Michigan is totally Midwest.

Comment

I was given a slight clarification that Michigan may be considered in the midwest based on Michigan's position within the states. Since there are so many states clumped together in the east coast region, Michigan is considered "midwest" in relation to the other states. But what always confuses me is if you take a picture of the continent and cut it in half, Michigan is clearly on the east side. California is what I consider west, Colorado, etc.
        Visit The Station (Warning: NOT family appropriate)

Hail to the victors!

Comment

Working...
        X