last person to reply WINS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uknesvuinng
    The US public school system is pretty lame. My nieces are going through public school at the moment and I can't help but wonder what they're teaching kids. The reading bit is especially horrible. They seem to have abandoned phonics all together. Fortunately for the kids, Mom and I take the opportunity when they're down to visit to teach them to read the right way.
    It's frightening. I was looking at my 10 yr old niece's schoolbook the other day and the words on her spelling list weren't right. How can she learn to spell if they don't even check to see she's done it right in the first place? I had her write them out again and taped them into her book.
    sigpic
    Don't try to pull any crap on Magnus... if you know what's good for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Eoin
      Yeah I guess....only a few know where im from (i think )

Fewer? My mum went to the states recently and she said that the TV there is worst thing ever...she said that you could blink twice and your garunteed that there'd be a commercial on (obviously she was exagerating (sp?)) no offence intended either to the americans )
      We get about 3 commercial breaks that last roughly about 3 1/2 - 4 minutes...
      I dont like the breaks either

Lets start a destroy commercial breaks campaign
      (yes yes, i do know thats how their is free tv stations etc.)

Anyway whos up for a party?
      There'll be cake
      I know what you mean about American TV. My uncle said the same thing after he went there, 100s of channels and he couldn't find a movie to watch. Not that it's any better here...... The digital ABC 1 channel here has breaks like in the US and there's one right after the opening credits which I find really weird.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Weir
        I don't even remember being taught reading at school. I think books were just avaliable and the teachers hoped for the best. We were never taught the alphabet, I learned it on my own. They wouldn't teach maths either. My mum had to teach me how to add and substracte because the retarded teachers just wouldn't!
        really?
        The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Yeah I guess....only a few know where im from (i think )
          I don't think I do. I'm going to guess and say southern Europe.
          Fewer? My mum went to the states recently and she said that the TV there is worst thing ever...she said that you could blink twice and your garunteed that there'd be a commercial on
          It might depend on the channel as well. And while we're eliminating commercials, at the very least they shouldn't all be allowed to be on a commercial break at the same time. Most frustrating when I'm trying to watch 3 shows that all break at the same time.
          Anyway whos up for a party?
          There'll be cake
          Woohoo - count me in. Mmmmmm, cake.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SqueeG-1
            It's frightening. I was looking at my 10 yr old niece's schoolbook the other day and the words on her spelling list weren't right. How can she learn to spell if they don't even check to see she's done it right in the first place? I had her write them out again and taped them into her book.
            From my experience a lot of teachers just want to get paid, unless it's a private school, and arn't very interested in teaching or anything else assoicated with it (like dealing with bullies).
            sigpic

Comment

really?
              Yes.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Weir
                From my experience a lot of teachers just want to get paid unless, it's a private school, and arn't very interested in teaching or anything else assoicated with it (like dealing with bullies).
                Well, as the daughter of a teacher, there are always exceptions to that. I know a lot of very dedicated teachers. But I also know a few very undedicated teachers. I think the school system here (and just about everywhere really) is getting really bad. The governments and education boards are just trying to save money instead of thinking of the welfare and future of kids. ECE teachers (daycare workers) get paid less than zookeepers. And they are raising the future generation. It makes no sense to me.

Anyway, I'm getting all irritated now. Where's the cake? That'll make me happy.
                sigpic

Comment

I don't think I do. I'm going to guess and say southern Europe.
                  Ill give ya a clue.. im from the closest european country to canada (i think)

It might depend on the channel as well. And while we're eliminating commercials, at the very least they shouldn't all be allowed to be on a commercial break at the same time. Most frustrating when I'm trying to watch 3 shows that all break at the same time.
                  how'd you watch 3 shows at the same time?
                  Woohoo - count me in. Mmmmmm, cake.
                  There'll be pizza too

Comment

I want cake so badly!!!!!!!!!!!
                    sigpic

Comment

Iceland?
                      I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

how'd you watch 3 shows at the same time?

There'll be pizza too
                        Oh wait, I do know! Ireland. I didn't remember until I used your clue and went to look at a map. It was mentioned awhile back. I love Ireland. I've been there twice.

The joys of the remote control! I also have a short attention span and most TV bores me. I also cross-stitch when I watch TV (but then I usually have to stick with just 1 or 2 shows).

Bring on the pizza! I'll bring the beverages, alcoholic and non-. But if imbibing, please respect your permitted alcohol intake and don't drink and drive.
                        sigpic

Comment

there are always exceptions to that. I know a lot of very dedicated teachers.
                          Ill have to agree with that... I had this one teacher for my last 3 years of primary... I used to fight with him all the time and its only recently that i realised how good of a teacher he was...he'd drill everything into your head, which was annoying at the time... his teaching method was brilliant too.
                          And on top of his excellent teaching method....he didnt miss a single day in the 3 years i had him as my teacher...now thats dedication

But I also know a few very undedicated teachers.
                          Sadly, IMO i think theres more undedicated teachers these days than there is dedicated

Where's the cake? That'll make me happy.
                          *hand Squee a sclice of chocolate gateau

Comment

Originally posted by jonno
                            Iceland?
                            is that in europe?

Comment

Sadly, IMO i think theres more undedicated teachers these days than there is dedicated
                              Yeah, but my dad wasn't friends with them. My Grade 2 teacher was one of the most horrid people I've ever had to deal with.
                              *hand Squee a sclice of chocolate gateau
                              Merci beaucoup, c'est fantastique.
                              sigpic

Comment

is that in europe?
                                Yeah, I think Jonno is right. Even though Iceland isn't "mainland" I think it's still considered part of Europe.

Maybe Greenland as well. Isn't that considered part of Denmark?

And technically, France would be closest. There is apparently a small island off of the east coast of Canada that belongs to them.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X