This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else here in martal arts?

I'm a purple-belt-blue-stripe in karate and was wondering if anyone else here was in a form of martal arts?
    Save us from danger, save us from evil
    Servatis a periculum, Servatis a maleficum

Originally posted by jack and sam 4eva 2getha
    I'm a purple-belt-blue-stripe in karate and was wondering if anyone else here was in a form of martal arts?

I stopped at green belt 1 stripe last year ...was doing it with my children too ...but they all decided to stop therefore I felt like stopping too ..but I was good and was doing competition and promotion shows for the school

Caty

Comment

I used to do kickboxing a while back - it's something I'd like to get back into, as I really enjoyed it.

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
      "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

yea, kickboxing is fun. what i find the most fun about karate is that (the big thing) you can defend yourself when someone attacks you. but the big thing for me is that it keeps me in shape. it really does tone your body

Comment

I used to be in Kenpo karate when I was younger - I mean like preteen younger, that was like eight years ago - anyway I got to red belt black stripe when unfortunatly my Sensie - fourth sensie actually - had to give up teaching so he could concentrate on medical school Aw, bless him. I loved tournaments (especially sparring ) and I liked the people I hung around with. Oh my god, this is turning into an informercial. Anyway, I've moved so here I am - karate less. I'm thinking of joining a kendo group if I can find one. I always liked Kendo. I did Tae Kwon Do for awhile but the dojo was so totally about kicking peoples butts and nothing about respect or technique or diversity or even a remote bit of religousness. They just wanted to cream people, y'know? I got so sore in that place. At least my other sensei actully knew a bit about the religious aspect of Martial Arts and he wrote in chinese!! cool! he was like a second Dan or something. Anyway, I miss karate. It makes you very disciplined, you know?
          TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

i've been doing Go-Kan-Ryu karate for 5 years now and i'm a brown belt 2 black stripes...
            you think that's funny....you should hear the one about the duck the moose and the Goa'uld

Comment

I did kung fu in middle/high school and made it to 2nd degree black belt right before I graduated. I haven't been able to keep up with it as I go to college in a different city, but hopefully someday. And tai chi, man I miss my tai chi. It's such a great way to relax. I've been so glad to see the Kali in Atlantis, it's about time they started using a decent fighting martial art in the Stargate universe (and no, The Warrior does not count. Do not go there.)

p.s. might it be possible to put the "I" in martial arts? It's come up better in the search feature (once it starts working again, lol)
              And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
              Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
              Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
              Daniel: Oh! You see?
              Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

I do judo. I'm a First Kyu (brown belt) and I need seven competitive wins now to get my black belt - but I haven't had a competitive fight since I first got pregnant five years ago so I'm a bit nervous of getting going again. Judo's great fun though.

Madeleine

Comment

When I stopped my karate lessons five years ago, I was a second degree brown belt... I was actually less than six months from being able to test for my black, but I have bad knees and they finally got so bad that I could no longer continue. Hopefully someday, after I get them replaced, I'll have the opportunity to go back to it again.

Mirnell

Comment

what kind of weapons (if any) do you guys use?

we use the bo and these hook things (i forget the name). of course we don't actually hit people with them, we just use them for the forms

Comment

I'm 1st Kyu (brown with white stripe) Freestyle Karate. (we used to be swanda but they were crappy so we've gone our own way now) and should be grading for my black belt some time this year.

As to weapons. We don't regular do them but I've done the nunchak kata, the knife Kata and the bo (staff) kata. But I've forgottent them all again.
                      sigpic
                      Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by jack and sam 4eva 2getha
                        Back in middle school and high school, I was into tae kwon do, but stopped when a girl totally kicked my skinny butt one day. I guess I was really sensitive! Now my motto is: RUN!!!! If I'm threatened, I just run away. Cowardly maybe, but I'll be aroudn to see another day.

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
                          Back in middle school and high school, I was into tae kwon do, but stopped when a girl totally kicked my skinny butt one day. I guess I was really sensitive! Now my motto is: RUN!!!! If I'm threatened, I just run away. Cowardly maybe, but I'll be aroudn to see another day.
                          he who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day

Comment

im feeling *scared*
                            gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                            so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                            love Torri

Comment

Red Belt in Tae Kwon Do, but that like 15 years ago. right after i got out of Tae Kwon Do i took up Judo for a year. a couple years ago i spent a couple of months training with my friend who's a former pro boxer (yeah, i know, not a real martial art).

Comment

Working...
                              X