X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
    Anyone know how it is doing in Canada?
    The ratings went up for the second episode then dropped for the third episode. Just going by memory, I believe the first episode was about 1.52 or 1.55 million, the second episode was around 1.6 and the third episode 1.44.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by discodiva View Post
      Reasonably well I think.....certainly being promoted well in Toronto and on CTV...I was there last week and saw billboards on the Freeway, on bus stops and many adverts on tv....was great fun being able to say I was one of the Canadian viewers there for episode 3...shame I can't afford to stay out there and watch it live every week..

I was an equal opportunity watcher though...instead of watching the SH repeat on Sunday night at 9, I turned over and supported Mrs Shanks (Lexa) in her new series Continuum, which was also very good and starred Tony Amendola...

*sighs*...I miss Canada....

Deeds xx
      Sounds like you had a good time in Canada, what with some of your favourite Michael on screen! You know, I'm still surprised that you haven't moved to Canada yet!

I really like 'Continuum', quite a good story and stars Vancouver as itself which makes a nice change!

I don't follow ratings news so I don't know how well SH is doing here.

I'm not sure about this show to be honest, really not caring about any of the characters. MS seemed more relaxed sitting on the cupboard in 'Crystal Skull' or when he was ascended! I agree with Mathpiglet, things need to be shaken up a bit. Still, I'll give it a chance, see where this idea of MS's character being in limbo goes, there's got to be some reason for it!

I miss his longer hair! His cut for this character seems so severe to me!

Comment

The wife and I are very much looking forward to tomorrow nights new episode.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
          Sounds like you had a good time in Canada, what with some of your favourite Michael on screen! You know, I'm still surprised that you haven't moved to Canada yet!

I really like 'Continuum', quite a good story and stars Vancouver as itself which makes a nice change!

I don't follow ratings news so I don't know how well SH is doing here.

I'm not sure about this show to be honest, really not caring about any of the characters. MS seemed more relaxed sitting on the cupboard in 'Crystal Skull' or when he was ascended! I agree with Mathpiglet, things need to be shaken up a bit. Still, I'll give it a chance, see where this idea of MS's character being in limbo goes, there's got to be some reason for it!

I miss his longer hair! His cut for this character seems so severe to me!
          Nope not moving to Canada....with those house prices and the extra cost of healthcare for me and hubby? 'fraid not..plus I won't leave my son and his fiancee and they don't want to leave England....so I'm sticking with visits thank you...if I won the lottery and could have a place in both countries and travel back and forth then I would....

Yeah the hair is SEVERE!...but I think he's truly meant to be playing the "elder statesman" role, whilst all the "young things" are going about in their very Hospital-soapy way (I'm under no illusion that this is ground-breaking stuff, it's fluff, light pure and simple)....but seeing some pics of him at the Much Music Awards and off-duty so to speak, he's dropped a good few pounds and toned up amazingly....the tuxedo is definitely gaining an appreciation society of it's own!!

Toronto are doing their home grown programme proud with support and promo....many others could learn from the Canadian's loyalty and love for their own imho...

Deeds xx
          sigpic
          Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
          MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

I am looking forward to tonight I really like Charlie & Alex they are my favorites so far
            sigpic
            My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
            poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Blindness
              Spoiler:
              At this point in it's life. Saving Hope has a 0.7 ratings share; now people may say that's the lowest the show has gotten but compare that to NBC's other (unfortunately outgoing) show Babar; which has a pitiful 0.1 ratings share. I don't know about you but that show could of used at least 3 or more points of that ratings share, at least it would of survived a bit longer and gain more recognition. I think the show should be retitled "Saving Babar" and be all about their attempts to save a cute elephant from the cold dead hands of death all while Michael Shanks does the promoting on his Twitter account.

So anyways after the good second episode, we get an episode that is... almost exactly the same as the second one. If you haven't noticed by now, the show is falling into a pattern. Alex (Michael's Fiancee) by Michael's side as he attempts to bring him out of a coma, the two patients who appear in the hospital with unique cases and Michael chatting it up with either a dead guy stuck in limbo or a guy who's in a near death state. That's okay for the people who watch the show (same for "Rookie Blue") but this show needs to evolve if it wants to stay on the air, even for a summer show. Anyways, the two patients that are shown are good. One is a Doctor who unintentionally becomes a patient (Mr. Wolf) and the other is an African American guy who loses his brother to death and has to get a leg surgery. Both have their twists and surprises and both handle themselves competently; the African American guy certainly has his moments, his apathy towards anything is a nice show of character and the emotional scenes that are to be had are nicely shot, nicely portrayed and prove to be the best parts of his story. His story is good and all and I kind of like how it connects with Michael's plot but it's Mr. Wolf who has the best story; his story takes a detour from all of those other patient stories featured here, including a twist that turns a common operation into a psychiatric story. His acting is good and much of his character is relatable but it's the things that he does that make it good, to see something so different then the people with diseases or operations is the first step Saving Hope takes towards making itself a unique show, I mean again; you can't have the same old cases time after time can you?

The same old... Same old...

Michael's story is a bit of the same old, same old and this time; his visitor is a African American guy who surprise, surprise, just happens to be the brother the patient lost. It's certainly interesting to see him talk to a guy in limbo and it's being given a bit more time then it has previously but it seems underutilized; I know Michael Shanks is doing the best that he can to play the role he's provided but it feels like they're just standing around waiting for the moment where they can truly create a powerful moment. We do learn more about the world they inhabit, and we also get a purpose for why they're here; I mean anybody stuck somewhere has an ultimate purpose to serve and I guess Michael is there for a reason but when I'm watching Michael Shanks, I want him to do something substantial. The plot does have it's moments though, the involvement of some religion served to provide some weight to a freefloating plot; it's sort of one of the most intellectual moments of the episode as it serves to represent both Michael's situation and that of his brother there are certain things that people don't put much thought into and it's nice that the Saving Hope people haven't forgotten about that; however, it also has the tint of generic medical dramacism, barely much of his commentary is unique, especially the one about death. I did like the utilization of a cartoon as a clever way for death but much of the other stuff still rings generic.

The characters do a competent job as always in playing their roles. For a show that claims to feature Michael Shanks, these people seem to be in it alot more as much of the screen time consists of them doing operations, chatting it up with patients and advancing certain romance plots. There is the usual GA-inspired dialog that's mostly satisfactory and then there's the usual drama that more then handles itself well but literally nothing seems to stand out memorability wise; while it may entertain you, you'll more then likely forget it within a few hours or so... Much of the episode middles in satisfactory until the near end of the episode where things truly get exciting, with the truly emotional and metaphorical stuff getting a chance to shine; this episode really knows how to use the false hope thing in a way that gives the people watching the episode something to think about and it truly gives Alex a base to provide a decent character performance. She is truly powerful in her role as she cries and shows compassion for Michael; if there's one thing the people did right, it was casting her as those two have a bond that make the show. However, it comes in as too little, too late since it gives it it's all near the end of the episode instead of in the middle or even the beginning. Sure it's good stuff but nobody watches something just so they can get to an amazing ending.

Sit through the entire thing, you get a cookie.

Saving Hope is going to need a miracle in order to survive; while the episode itself is competent and Michael Shanks is as amazing and ever, much of this centers around "entertaining but forgettable" fare. If the show continues on it's current path then it's mission to "Save Hope" will be for naught; uinless Michael Shanks ups the Twitter promotion by 11 of course.

6.0/10
              What you should be watching on NBC this Saturday morning.

Babar - "To Duet or Not to Duet"; last showing, help him go out with a bang!
              Back from the grave.

Comment

They filmed an episode in my town a few weeks ago and my church was used as a place for the crew and actors to eat.
                Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Really good episode last night. Very interesting ending. My wife and I are really enjoying this. Our fingers are crossed regarding it surviving this first season.
                  sigpic
                  "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
                    They filmed an episode in my town a few weeks ago and my church was used as a place for the crew and actors to eat.
                    That's amazing, who did you meet at your church when SH was filming there?
                    Back from the grave.

Comment

Just watched the episode thanks to a good fairy who took pity on a UK'er...

Better stick it in spoilers just in case I guess...

Spoiler:
                      Very good, gathering pace...glad they didn't go all "preachy" with the young gang member...he'll be back there and probably straight to the morgue this time with that attitude..which is what happens in real life...

The Maggie nurse is REALLY annoying me..she reminds me of some squeeing fangirls I've met online in the past.. but the rest of the characters seem to be settling into their niche quite nicely...still REALLY liking Dr Hamza (Brain Surgeon Aspergers Guy) and think that the 3 leads are going from strength to strength with their chemistry.....Michael, Erica and Daniel are without doubt worth their lead status and they truly do deserve praise and future success based on their hard work here....it's so very nice to be able to enjoy ALL the leads like I used to in SG-1...

Only niggle....I do find the episodes a touch soapy in places and was expecting much much more drama from the trailer I saw after last week's episode...but I do realise how TV companies HAVE to up the ante to get viewers to watch....

All in all, solid, dependable and rather yummy in places...a bit like Charlie and his never-creasing tuxedo!..

Deeds xx
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                      MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

I'm rooting for the show, but they really do need to amp it up a bit. I don't want to see the same story every week with different characters. It needs a punch of ... something, not sure what, but something to pull it apart from the rest of the pack. Right now, it's an alright show, but it's not going to be able to stand up to the rest of the fare as new seasons start.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
                          That's amazing, who did you meet at your church when SH was filming there?
                          Sadly, I didn't meet anyone since I didn't realize which show was using the building until after the fact. My son did see Michael Shanks when he was there though.

Originally posted by loserinc View Post
                          I'm rooting for the show, but they really do need to amp it up a bit. I don't want to see the same story every week with different characters. It needs a punch of ... something, not sure what, but something to pull it apart from the rest of the pack. Right now, it's an alright show, but it's not going to be able to stand up to the rest of the fare as new seasons start.
                          I agree. I haven't seen the fourth episode yet, but they do need to add something.
                          Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
                            Sadly, I didn't meet anyone since I didn't realize which show was using the building until after the fact. My son did see Michael Shanks when he was there though.

I agree. I haven't seen the fourth episode yet, but they do need to add something.
                            I am not sure, but with that ending, they may have.
                            sigpic
                            "...phu...ah..."

Comment

The Fight
                              Spoiler:
                              INT. HALLWAY - HOPE ZION HOSPITAL - AFTERNOON

The hospital, in the middle of it's busy hustle as usual. We watch as a patient is rushed on a crash cart to the OR, possibly facing some deadly injury or requiring surgery. As he is rolled out, we notice someone; the ever so present MICHAEL SHANKS who stands there with a blank look in his face, watching as the cart rolls past him.

???????????????????????MICHAEL
                              ?????????????Just another day as usual.
                              ?????????????????(BEAT)
                              ?????????????Watching as yet another guy gets rolled into
                              ?????????????the OR while I'm stuck with nothing to do.

As we watch him stand around in the same suit he was in when he first fell into the coma, we notice someone appear suddenly to the right of him. MICHAEL turns his head to the left and his face shows clearly something is off.

???????????????????????MICHAEL (CONT'D)
                              ?????????????You seem to be quite different from the rest
                              ?????????????I've met.

We pan left to reveal what MICHAEL is looking at; with his green suit, red bowtie, yellow crown and elephant like features, it's clear who this guy is. He's BABAR, king of the elephants.

???????????????????????BABAR
                              ??????????????????(scared)
                              ?????????????Who... Who are you?-- what am I doing here?

?????????????Calm down elephant thingy... You're either dead
                              ?????????????or you're in a coma.

?????????????But this can't be, I was about to see Flora's rowing team
                              ?????????????and the next thing you know I end up here.
                              ??????????????????(BEAT)
                              ?????????????How can this be possible?

?????????????It just is,-- I'm in a coma and I don't even know how
                              ?????????????it's possible.

?????????????But I didn't collapse or feel any pain, I just ended up here.

?????????????Regardless of the reason, you're here and I'm here with you.
                              ??????????????????(BEAT)
                              ?????????????So you must have a name right?

?????????????Well, I'm Babar, King of the Elephants-- and you.

?????????????Michael Shanks, I used to be the chief of surgery but then I fell
                              ?????????????into a coma and now I roam these halls meeting all sorts of people.

?????????????Really, like who?

?????????????Well I met this person that one time who was unusually excited at
                              ?????????????the prospect of being dead.

?????????????Well it's odd to be excited about the prospect of death.

?????????????Tell me about it.

We focus as the two just shuffle around, all while the people pass them.

???????????????????????MICHAEL (CONT'D)
                              ?????????????You know, by this time you should of moved on to the next
                              ?????????????life by now.

??????????????????(confused)
                              ?????????????I should have?

?????????????Well this is a purgatory of sorts and most of the people I meet are
                              ?????????????either saved or move on to another life.
                              ??????????????????(BEAT)
                              ?????????????There must be some reason why you're still here...

?????????????But I love my wife, I love my children,-- I love everyone really.
                              ??????????????????(BEAT)
                              ?????????????I should be able to move on to the next life effortlessly.

?????????????But you're not able to.

The two stand around, thinking... Not being able to do much else.

?????????????Do you think it's because I don't have a place to go?

?????????????Why do you ask that?

?????????????Well because I had a place in Celesteville. I had family, a wife, a
                              ?????????????kingdom and then I suddenly find myself in a place where I have nothing.
                              ??????????????????(BEAT)
                              ?????????????Everything is unfamiliar to me here and I just have no idea where I
                              ?????????????belong now.

?????????????Well... certain people are able to find a place to move on to. Some move on to a
                              ?????????????higher plane, others to another reality altogether.
                              ??????????????????(BEAT)
                              ?????????????I guess it's the matter of finding a place where you belong, not where you're
                              ?????????????supposed to go.

??????????????????(worried)
                              ?????????????But where am I supposed to go?

?????????????I don't know, if I knew how to get into my own body then I could certainly
                              ?????????????answer your question.

?????????????*sigh* So I'm stuck here for an indeterminable amount of time...

??????????????????(happily)
                              ?????????????At least you got company...

?????????????Yup,-- just the two of us standing around doing nothing...

?????????????Yup.

We FOCUS on them standing around, watching as the people pass them by. This is their life now, waiting around for some glimmer of hope to arrive, they don't know when it will come but they do know that it's out there,-- waiting for them.

Just another Saturday night (hopefully the people at the hospital managed to catch Babar in some form or another, hint hint.) in Hope Zion hospital; patients are there, doctors are doing their job, Michael Shanks is there and, wait... what's this?!?!, somebody got shot!!! This surely hasn't happened before in Saving Hope and to see a sudden gunshot where people are at risks! That is so exciting and unexpected!!!!!

Obviously the writers must of gotten the memo, they needed to switch something up and they do by having a bunch of people at a nightclub (regarding some plot about decency...), having them carry the body out of an ambulance and then there's the aforementioned shooting. However, just because something is sudden and exciting does not mean it's automatically going to carry the entire episode; after the shooting moment happens, the episode slowly moves momentum until it grinds to a screeching halt, falling into the same mundane routine it has had for it's entire running span. Only difference is, the police are involved, two people got shot and one got upgraded from background status to important subject of the episode.

The stories regarding our patients are good as always but I can't help to wonder if these plots can't rise above the genericy that is the usual medical drama stuff. I mean take for instance the Hockey Player, his plot is the best in the episode mainly because he has that brash appeal but it can't help but to fall into the same trap, which is guy doesn't want to give up even after he's had a concussion, gets a pep talk and suddenly he sees the light. No one is doubting the commonness of these plot elements, hell some of the best things are made out of common stuff but it just feels too common; like they're doing nothing to make it different. The acting from the guy was decent, her wife was nice and even Alex seems to be falling head over heals for the guy but acting can only get a person so far; they need to make the plot engaging in order to care about the character which Saving Hope rarely does.

The best, but far from interesting.

Michael's latest guest star is a punky guy who is the victim of a stabbing at a nightclub. Michael's self confidence conflicts well with the punky guy's energetic attitude and that conflict leads to some nice stuff, including some thought provoking stuff that more then reflects Michael's situation (The situation Michael is in on the real world suited well to his plot and it just shows that there are good times and bad times when you're in a coma.) as a whole and some exceptional acting that shows Michael Shanks as a guy with a couple of tricks up his sleeve. I quite liked his performance but he does get annoying at times and he becomes generic halfway through the story but I can relate with him somewhat on some issues. I really liked that they gave it somewhat more time and focused some more camera screen around him rather then the other guys; this show is about him and it's about time they gave more screen time to this guy as he roams around this purgatory-like world of his.

I do have to take note of the awkward pacing of this episode; I mean some people get shot and then it cuts to the energetic night club after people got shot? You should be focusing on that, it's obvious that they're in a situation but to cut to that just makes people scratch their heads and possibly yell at the screen. The Hope Zion hospital isn't immune to this either, there are times where the emotional feelings of the doctors and the plots of the patients don't match up; leading to a disconnect when there should be some emotional investment going on. There is a guy who's taking a woman into surgery, he's confident in his ability and then he looks back and takes an alternate route after realizing the risk and this is quite some time after a similar scene where the risk is mentioned.; it doesn't look like a guy who's about to perform a risky surgery, it just looks like a guy doing his everyday job especially considering the disagreement and the stuff said afterwards. I'm all for character growth for the next guy but can you please make it so that I don't question the timing of such growth?

And in common fashion, Alex proves to the best out of her cohorts here. She doesn't do a terrific job like in the previous episodes but she constantly reinforces with every episode that she's determined and that she and Michael have a thing that can't be broken as she takes care of, hopes for and even shows us some time she had with Michael in what is quickly appearing to be a part of Saving Hope's routine. Seeing Michael and Alex together when he was conscious is good in that it's something sweet and charming that takes us back to simpler times and nothing more, you can see the acting and range that Michael has in these scenes and you can say the same for Alex. They don't seem to be concerned about acting seriously, they're just having fun and that's what makes these scenes a delight. But again, this is common and there are so many ways you can say it before it becomes old and tired.

Michael + Alex 4 life!

So this was an alright episode; it had hints of change as more locations are shown, Michael gets more screen time and a shooting quickens the pace of the episode, however it remains the same and there remains the ever present urge for something major to happen; however, there is some hope out there for fans clamoring for progression as the episodes introduces a twist that moves both of them forward within the context of the show and hopefully promises to introduce potential that the series should not waste, especially since what is shown is truly important. (I can't believe NBC revealed this scene in their promos, thankfully they have stopped producing promos, instead using the time to promote Revolution and how "amazing" it will be.) As they say, change is good...

6.5/10
                              Back from the grave.

Comment

The last episode was another good one IMO. I can't wait for the next installment.
                                sigpic
                                "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Working...
                                X