Boardwalk Empire.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    While I absolutely disagree with unknown_k up there, I do think the show has suffered from some problems this year. Namely, the writing. I think they really struggled in Season 2 both in plot pacing and in how to effectively utilize the show's large cast of characters.

All of Season 2 spoilers
    Spoiler:
    The plot of the Commodore's and Jimmy's 'revolution' against Nucky started strong, and then just kind of fizzled out into nothing. The Irish revolutionaries story sort of came out of left field and then petered out. And Nucky's legal problems were...patchy. Frequently brought up, then forgotten about so they could go off on some other tangent for a while.

But worse, IMO, was how much trouble they had with characters this year. After the amusing and intriguing reveal of Lucy's pregnancy last year, they clearly didn't know what to do with her and just stuck her character in a room (literally as well as figuratively), so much so that she actually wasn't in the final three episodes of the season. The importance of Nelson's story and investigations got sidelined in favour of the anti-Nucky legal team and he, largely, ended up just stuck away in a room. Chalky White started out with some interesting business, and then ended up spending most of the season on the sidelines. Eli started out with the 'revolution' story to his credit, but after that fizzled out, he too ended up just...put in a room so they didn't have to deal with him. After having an interesting and compelling story last year, Jimmy's wife Angela had literally nothing to do this year, so they sidelined her till they could get rid of her.

Contrary to how negative I may sound in all of that, this is not to say I've been disliking the show. I'm still quite happy to count it among my 'must watch' shows and I'll be thrilled when I can pick both seasons up on BD and re-watch.

Come Season 3 though, I think there's definitely room for improvement over Season 2.
    Chalky was gonna be used alot more in this season, but
    Spoiler:
    then he took an arrow in the knee.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
      I want to give this a try next year
      me as well, I think Season 1 is released in february, at least here in germany.
      sigpic

Comment

Paz de la Huerta will not be returning in Season 3
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Less boobs in season 3

Probably better acting with her gone though

Comment

Rumour is that she was a total f'ing diva on set, extremely difficult to work with; that this is the reason why they reduced her role so significantly for Season 2, and have now not picked up her option for Season 3.

Oh well. Like you say...not the most impressive acting skills, so perhaps we'll get someone better for year three.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I bought the first season on thursday, gonna watch it after I finished my BSG-Rewatch, Supernatural and Spartacus watch I love Steve Buscemi and the Pilot impressed me back then.. so We will see..
              sigpic

Comment

This was a show I was very excited about when it was in pre-production. It hasn't let me down!

Comment

Just started watching this, i watched the pilot for the first time in the weekend and i thoroughly enjoyed it
                  Last Movie Watched
                  X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                  Life is Strange

Comment

I finished season one tonight and can't wait to watch season two soon... But gonna wait for the DVD release... HBO is truly gold and has not disappointed me since with its tv shows....but I have to say Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire and True Blood are my favorites from this network!
                    sigpic

Comment

Season 3 of Boardwalk Empire premieres Sunday, September 16!

Comment

Working...
                      X