• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KEK View Post
    Great episode.
    ^ you mixed up the quote tags with the spoiler tags

looking forward to watching the last episode

coming back to the previous episode and the mention of the 'mind palace', I've found this interesting article

Thanks for the memory Sherlock – I now have a mind palace
    link:http://babygenie.wordpress.com/2012/...a-mind-palace/
    Grimm returns October 24
    sigpic

Signature and Avatar by Hyndara71 - Thank you very much
    Profile Picture by BM-Shipper

Comment

http://cultfix.co.uk/sherlock-series...rmed-16002.htm
      Series 3 confirmed!

Comment

I think the movies are just heavily Americanized, which is ironic given who made them. In American culture killing the antagonist seems almost inherently justified, in British culture not so much. While their hero's tend to use force and assorted kick arsery, I think British hero's, especially modern ones are written to use their brains. The Doctor, Sherlock, Harry Potter etc, all with a pretty deep aversion to killing. Bond I suppose is themost obvious exception, but then he is arcaic in most senses, in fact I'm not sure how long someone with his attitude toward women can really be justified as a likeable protagonist...
        At least in Bond's case they have now begun to portray is sexist nature as a character flaw that just happens to assist him. But it is no longer portrayed as fun or clever it's just shown as being exploitive and all part of the job.
        But I believe that the new Holmes movies still do show him to be primarily a thinker. Even when he is fighting he is shown to be thinking methodically about every move. Nothing is done hastily or without reason. Hence the reason why he is also rarely seen to be beaten down by common thugs.
        Another distinction I would add between American and British characters is that American characters always have to be the underdog. There is always the scenes where the hero gets captured and is given a good beating for his trouble, only to escape and soldier on while injured (look at Die Hard for a perfect example) Characters like Sherlock and Doctor Who however are always largely shown to never be placed in a posistion like that. They are generally shown to out smart their villains before any serious harm can come to them.

Great episode.
        Spoiler:
        I think they hinted a bit too early on that he would have to fake his own deathe though, I guessed that in about the first 10 minutes, but ultimately not for the same reason. I'm guessing he did it with Molly's help. A clever ending really, because it allows them to potentially avoid casting problems next series.
        To be fair,

Spoiler:
        We already knew going into the episode (anyone who knows anything about the Holmes stories anyway) that he was going to face death and have to survive. The good things is that we are still left with a mystery. Even in the original books (and the movie) it is portrayed as a simple matter of holmes surviving a great fall and swimming to safety...........in this...............who knows how he managed it. And yet we are given so many clues. We still have no idea why exactly the little girl screamed at him. We know that he called on Molly for her help, we know that Watson's view of his fall was obscured and that he was knocked down by a cyclist briefly before seeing his body. We also know that he was keen on Watson to stay exactly where he was and that the sniper who was suposed to be watching the both of them seemed to be mainly focused on watsons head.
        So.......We are in effect challenged by Holmes himself to deduce what has happend.............personally I find that absoloutley brilliant.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Can people tell me what they thought of the latest episode? I'm away on holidays. Nothing spoilery please. I know the outcome of The Final Solution but I'm expecting clever things.
          sigpic
          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

It's the best of this series in my opinion, maybe the best of the show as a whole.

Comment

It's the best of this series in my opinion, maybe the best of the show as a whole.
              I agree with you here, this episode was full of brilliant twists and turns.
              Must give you a slightly smiley though for confusing your quote and spoiler tags lol, but dont worry about it, I guessed something would happen to Sherlock, but I thought it would happen much earlier on... and it didnt spoil my watching experience at all.
              That ending though, I am now cursing that we have to wait for next series to find out how! So much speculation going on now lol, but there are so many clues! Will be interesting to see how they string together.
              Overall, a very good series 2, and cant wait till series 3!
              Now to watch series 1!

Comment

I've loved every minute of Sherlock, series 1 & 2 and I'm looking forward so much to series 3. I think Benedict Cumberbatch & Martin Freeman are absolutely perfect.

So I was absolutely furious to see this.

Elementary, from CBS TV Studios and studio-based Timberman/ Beverly Prods., is described as a modern take on the cases of the pipe-smoking private eye created by Arthur Conan Doyle, with Sherlock now living in New York City.

Veteran Medium writer-producer Doherty wrote the script and is executive producing the project with Sarah Timberman & Carl Beverly. Sherlock Holmes is very much in the zeitgeist right now with Guy Ritchie’s movie franchise starring Robert Downey Jr. and BBC’s hit series Sherlock starring Benedict Cumberbatch, which was just renewed for third season.
                I mean... seriously? Do CBS honestly think they can make anything better than Sherlock? And as for moving the great man from 221B to New York... words fail me. Though I suppose it will be interesting to see just how crap it is.

Comment

I'd like to see who they cast.

Comment

Sherlock - Original Television Soundtrack Music From Series One (Details, Listen, etc.)

Sherlock Soundtrack is set to be released on January, 30, 2012(amazon.co.uk) and we got a first look right here:

First of all, some trivia about:

CD Description
                    The BBC One season of three Sherlock Holmes films was the summer hit of 2010 with over 7.5m viewers watching the first episode. Starring Benjamin Cumberbatch (Small Island) in the title role and Martin Freeman (The Office) as Dr. Watson the stories cleverly bring Conan Doyle's famous characters into the world of modern day London. A second series of three episodes are being premiered on BBC One in January 2012. The music, composed by David Arnold and Michael Price, received BAFTA and Emmy nominations and won an RTS Television Award.

About the Artist
                    David Arnold is one of the UK's leading film composers, penning the scores to a host of blockbuster movies including Stargate, Independence Day and 2 Fast 2 Furious. He also successfully took over the scoring of the James Bond movies on the recommendation of John Barry. Michael Price is a multi-talented composer, music editor and arranger whose credits include Band Of Brothers, The Lord Of The Rings and Love Actually.

And here is the tracklist:

1. Opening Titles,
                    2. The Game Is On,
                    3. War,
                    4. Pink,
                    5. Security Cameras,
                    6. Pursuit,
                    7. Which Bottle?,
                    8. Targets,
                    9. Library Books,
                    10. Number Systems,
                    11. Light-fingered,
                    12. Elegy,
                    13. Crates Of Books,
                    14. Sandbag,
                    15. On The Move,
                    16. Back To Work,
                    17. Woman On The Slab,
                    18. A Man Who Can,
                    19. Final Act.

Link: http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/01/she...oundtrack.html

and Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sherlock-Ori...6726407&sr=8-1
                    Grimm returns October 24
                    sigpic

Signature and Avatar by Hyndara71 - Thank you very much
                    Profile Picture by BM-Shipper

Comment

I kind of rolled my eyes when it said '...now living in New York City'. If it's going to be a standard American sized series, then I have a feeling that it will be basically just House, but with crimes instead of medicine. I seriously doubt they'd be able to maintain the quality of Sherlock over so many episodes.

Comment

I kind of rolled my eyes when it said '...now living in New York City'. If it's going to be a standard American sized series, then I have a feeling that it will be basically just House, but with crimes instead of medicine. I seriously doubt they'd be able to maintain the quality of Sherlock over so many episodes.
                        CSI House: NY

Comment

http://cultfix.co.uk/sherlock-a-clue...ssed-16103.htm
                          What have we missed??

Comment

My first thought was the Molly part, but that's too obvious surely? A lot will depend on where he's been looking...

Comment

I think it's pretty obvious
                              Spoiler:
                              he didn't survive the fall, that was Moriarty's body taking the fall for him, knowing Moffat, he'll probably write in something like Sherlock got Molly to make a face cast of him, then he put it on Moriarty and chucked him off the roof at the right time.

Molly is the key, because it'll turn out that she identified the body, so yeah, it's probably her.

When they finally explain this, they'll probably show some extended stuff that we didn't see as flashbacks from Watson, like Holmes appearing to step off the ledge onto the roof, before stepping back on and jumping - this would be where the switch took place, yes I know Moriarty was dead at that point (well, unconscious at least), but a couple broom handles and some creative positioning from a person standing behind wouldn't be seen from someone standing where Watson was, especially if he believed he was seeing Sherlock on the ledge.

Either that or it was just a huge slight of hand magic trick, most magicians I know everybody on the crew is in on the trick.

Edit: It also stops about half way through categorising time, so we don't really know how long passes between say Watson leaving to go back to the flat and Sherlock talking to him on the phone, could have been hours....

Although Moffat is a writing genius, he is sometime very predictable - I mean how many people worked out River was Amy's daughter? pretty much everybody here came to that conclusion but we all thought it too obvious...

"Once you've eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, is the truth" - Sherlock never survived because either it wasn't him, or he was never in danger because it was a staged stunt, no way any mortal person could survive that in reality.
                              Last edited by Ian-S; 18 January 2012, 07:53 PM.

Comment

We saw Sherlock jump.

Comment

Working...
                                X