No announcement yet.

What non-sci-fi TV did you watch today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I was working out at the gym, I managed to watch a lot of baseball again. The Phillies were at the Giants, game 3.

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
    Cliff Lee was great. I watched that game last night. And Roy O is the man. Even though I don't like the Phillies or the Giants for that matter. But Roy will always be an Astro....

If the Rangers and the Phillies make it the WS, I'm going to be so torn as who to cheer for because Roy deserves a ring, but then it's the Texas Rangers...even though I haven't really cared all that much about them after Nolan Ryan retired.
    Originally posted by Thunderstorm View Post
    Well he does own the team now (or is at least majority owner) so maybe that would sway your thoughts.

(I'm in the NL but when I don't really care about any of the teams I root for the underdog. Anybody but NY!!)
    Though I do want the Giants to get into the WS, I'm perfectly fine with the Phillies going forward too though I'm not a Phillies fan as Roy Oswalt would finally get that ring. Speaking of the Giants, Cain was electric today and Cody Ross was again a big highlight. Who would've thought?

At the moment, I'm watching the Rangers @ the Yankees. It's the top of the 7th and the Yankees pitchers are getting lit up with the score 7-3 Rangers. The Yankees have been really falling apart in the past 2 innings. Though I do like some of the players on both teams, I'm leaning towards the Rangers winning this one. I'm just not fond of the Yankees.
    sigpic

Comment

Top Gear
      sigpic

Comment

Well he does own the team now (or is at least majority owner) so maybe that would sway your thoughts.

(I'm in the NL but when I don't really care about any of the teams I root for the underdog. Anybody but NY!!)
        Yeah he does but Roy pitched for so many years for the Astros. He's my favorite player in baseball currently playing other than Hunter Pence who still plays for the Stros. He should have had several more 20 win seasons than he did. Astros just weren't giving him run support. Astros should have won him that ring when we made it to the WS in 2005.

An yes, anybody but NY....and Boston and the White Soxs. I dislike them all the same.

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
        Though I do want the Giants to get into the WS, I'm perfectly fine with the Phillies going forward too though I'm not a Phillies fan as Roy Oswalt would finally get that ring. Speaking of the Giants, Cain was electric today and Cody Ross was again a big highlight. Who would've thought?

At the moment, I'm watching the Rangers @ the Yankees. It's the top of the 7th and the Yankees pitchers are getting lit up with the score 7-3 Rangers. The Yankees have been really falling apart in the past 2 innings. Though I do like some of the players on both teams, I'm leaning towards the Rangers winning this one. I'm just not fond of the Yankees.
        It's looking like the Giants will make it. Phillies bats were terrible yesterday. They'd get people on and then couldn't get them in.

Yankees just don't have the hitting. Teixeira was like 0-16 and when he finally gets a hit he pulls a hamstring. lol. I like Lance Berkman on NY but he was a former Astro. Too bad Lance. Glad that HR was called back last night.

Go Rangers!
        IMO always implied.

Comment

Last stuff watched, dunno when:

Burn Notice 2x13 - "Bad Breaks"
          Burn Notice 2x14 - "Truth & Reconciliation"

Wonders of the Solar System 1x02 - Order Out of Chaos

Originally posted by chocolate_muffin View Post
          Top Gear
          Spoiler:
          "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

I watched some local news at the gym and at home. While at the gym, I watched a lot of the final game of the ALCS between the Yankees and the Rangers. Congratulations to the Rangers and their fans for making it to their franchise's first World Series berth.

And now the rest of the NLCS will be decided at Philadelphia. Roy Oswalt pitches tomorrow for the Phils and Sanchez for the Giants. Hmm...
            sigpic

Comment

Some more baseball...

The Giants win the pennant, as I knew they somehow would.

Edit: Interesting media bias against the Giants. They've got an ex-Dodger (Eric Karros) and an ex-Phillie (Mitch Williams) doing post-game commentary throughout the entire NLCS. Joe Buck and Tim McCarver (another ex-Phillie) were audibly disappointed (at least to me) that the Phillies lost. But whatever. Commentators. They merely do the talking, not the winning.
              Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 23 October 2010, 11:26 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Various college football games and some of the baseball game.

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                Some more baseball...

The Giants win the pennant, as I knew they somehow would.

Edit: Interesting media bias against the Giants. They've got an ex-Dodger (Eric Karros) and an ex-Phillie (Mitch Williams) doing post-game commentary throughout the entire NLCS. Joe Buck and Tim McCarver (another ex-Phillie) were audibly disappointed (at least to me) that the Phillies lost. But whatever. Commentators merely do the talking, not the winning.
                As a Houston Astros fan, that's how I always feel about commentators when I have to watch the Astros play on something other than the local Fox Sports Houston channel. There is always a bias against the Astros. I hate to watch the Astros on anything but that channel because the Astros commentators are actually interesting and funny to listen to. Those other ones are boring as all get out which is what the ones that covered the playoffs on TBS and FOX this year were...which is generally why I don't watch the playoffs unless I really really care about the team or a player(s).
                IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                  Various college football games and some of the baseball game.

As a Houston Astros fan, that's how I always feel about commentators when I have to watch the Astros play on something other than the local Fox Sports Houston channel. There is always a bias against the Astros. I hate to watch the Astros on anything but that channel because the Astros commentators are actually interesting and funny to listen to. Those other ones are boring as all get out which is what the ones that covered the playoffs on TBS and FOX this year were...which is generally why I don't watch the playoffs unless I really really care about the team or a player(s).
                  I've noticed that games televised by the big networks like Fox have that bias. It may be an east coast bias or some damned thing but I've seen the same things you have. I like watching baseball period (whether its the Rockies, the Astros, or even minor league baseball) and I've seen Fox commentators (and other networks too) make some really backhanded comments about various teams, their players, and their fans.

When the Giants players were interviewed after the game, Chris Rose seemed to make the same backhanded comments, referring to some of them as misfits, etc. Brian Wilson decided to make some pointed counter comments though, though he was more oblique about it.

The TBS people were more subtle about it than their Fox counterparts but I did notice them making similar comments about the Rangers as well. I suppose for these big networks, if you're not the Yankees, the Red Sox, or a similar team, you're beneath contempt.

Congratulations on the Rangers making it to the World Series. It'll be a good match-up between them and the Giants.
                  Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 23 October 2010, 11:28 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

College Football - Missouri beats Oklahoma - Woo Hoo!!!

Didn't watch much of the baseball game, but I did happen to switch to FOX during the almost brawl.

I refuse to listen to the FOX commentators when they show Cardinals games, I hit the mute button and turn on the radio.
                    sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

College Football - Missouri beats Oklahoma - Woo Hoo!!!

Didn't watch much of the baseball game, but I did happen to switch to FOX during the almost brawl.

I refuse to listen to the FOX commentators when they show Cardinals games, I hit the mute button and turn on the radio.
                      Joe Buck & Tim McCarver =

Buck irritates the hell out of me. I once saw him cover a Cubs vs. Cardinals game. The game itself was a good one but his commentary made the broadcast virtually unwatchable.

That's OK though. Commentators don't win championships or make history through their actions. They can only talk and in the end even words can be fleeting.
                      Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 23 October 2010, 11:29 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

With the exception of SGU, I haven't been watching very much science fiction since my big re-watch of the B5/Crusade universe. I guess my mind needed a break to shift gears a bit. Lately, I've been watching a lot of sports (nothing wrong with that ) and today was no exception. I watched part of the Green Bay Packers/Minnesota Vikings football game while I was working out at the gym and finished it when I returned home. That incomplete pass by Favre late in the 4th quarter pretty much sealed their fate.
                        sigpic

Comment

Watched a whole bunch of animated Batman today, including Mask of the Phantasm
                          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I'm definitely still on my sports-watching kick. I saw Game 1 of the World Series—partly at the gym, and the final 2 innings at home. And of course, I was quite happy with the results.
                            sigpic

Comment

And I am working on catching up on a month's worth of TV I missed while travelling and getting set up in my new home

Bored to Death 2.01 "Escape from the Dungeon!"
                              Bored to Death 2.02 "Make It Quick Fitzgerald!"
                              Bored to Death 2.03 "The Gowanus Canal Has Gonorrhea!"
                              Bored to Death 2.04 "I've Been Living Like A Demented God!"
                              Bored to Death 2.05 "Forty-Two Down!"

Mad Men 4.09 "The Beautiful Girls"
                              Mad Men 4.10 "Hands and Knees"
                              Man Men 4.11 "Chinese Wall"
                              Man Men 4.12 "Blowing Smoke"
                              Mad Men 4.13 "Tomorrowland"
                              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

The Middle - Halloween
                                Rules of Engagement - Baked
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X