Modern sci fi tv vs older shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modern sci fi tv vs older shows

Is anyone else missing older shows like SG1 and Farscape that had bigger seasons and a more adventurous feel to them? Today science fiction shows certainly have bigger budgets and tend to structure themselves more like a movie, i feel the genre has lost it's sense of fun.

I know some prefer shorter seasons as they feel it cuts out "filler" but look at SG1 ep 'windows of opportunity' to see that a standalone fun episode can work to great effect. Personally i feel we lose creative episodes by chopping from 22/20 eps to 8.

lastly does every new sci fi have to now be ultra realistic and gritty? It is why aliens are often removed or made a minor element.
    sigpic
    The best written female character on trek ever.

It's exactly the reason why I don't watch a lot of scifi on tv anymore these days.

Every time I want to watch scifi on TV, I go to my DVD collection and pop in a DVD of Stargate or something else of the older scifi series.

All the recent scifi series I have tried watching but stopped after a few episodes:
    - The Expanse: gave it a try, not interesting
    - The new Star Trek series: hell no.
    - The new Star Wars stuff: nope, doesn't work for me. The Mandalorian become pretty boring after a few episodes.

Honestly, these days, just about 99.5% of my scifi appetite is satisfied with books. I've just about given up on all scifi on tv these days.

As you say: it's all short seasons with a lot of eye-candy CGI stuff, and looks spectacular, but storywise it's often so empty compared to what we had in the past.

And no, I'm not one of those "it's all woke" complainers, I couldn't care less about that. I just think that these days it's all about the eye-candy, but the story writing is just about rubbish.

So for me, it's all books. Have also cancelled all my streaming subscriptions, haven't bought any new DVD's in years since I don't see anything worth buying anymore.

Comment

Working...
    X