X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gate related question...

first post, first question...

maybe someone here can enlighten me:

the Stargate has about 40 unique symbols. 6 symbols are needed to specify the target location and the 7th symbol is the point of origin. when sg-1 (or any other gate traveller) goes to another planet he has to use 6 symbols that specify his homeworld. these 6 symbols are always the same. the 7th however changes from planet to planet because the point of origin is different.
    however this means that there can be only 40 different worlds accesable with a stargate because it only has 40 symbols.
    however there could be more worlds accesable if every stargate has different symbols. but this would also mean that from some stargates you couldn't dial earth because one of the 6 symbols is missing.

am i right here or did i miss something ?

erm your kinda on right track apart from stargate can go to thousands of planets because of the different co-ordinations of the symbols, for example just because theres only 40 symbols dont mean theres only 40 planets, each planet has a different sequence in the symbols and therefore there are thousands of possibilities.

Hi and welcome to the Boards by the way.

Comment

just figured out the solution myself

im aware that you can arrange the symbols in thousands of combinations to dial a planet. my problem was the 7th symbol. it must be different from planet to planet and with only about 40 symbols available you destinations are limited.

i just came up with the idea that every stargate has the same 40 symbols (or something about that) + 1 unique symbol that works as the 7th symbol and thus as the point of origin. this would solve the problem

but tnx anyway ^^

Comment

the point of origin symbol only appears on one stargate in the entire galaxy - you will never see the earth symbol on another gate as there is not a combination of stars that make that shape and it is not used as a coordinate

The point of origin depends on whatever stargate you are using

some stargates do have different symbols due to the fact that the constellations appear different on different planets, also the order in which the coordenates a 'typed in' can alter the destination as there are 720 ways in which 6 coordinates can be arranged

i hope this answers your question

Comment

Lol no problem, sometimes it's better when you work things out yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by mishy_mo
            you will never see the earth symbol on another gate as there is not a combination of stars that make that shape and it is not used as a coordinate
            actually due to a production cost thing, you do see the earth PoO symbol on other gates in several episodes, and the symbols dont actually have anything to do with the stars, that was a movie thing that has never been used in the show

Comment

Working...
            X