This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate SG-1: the dog that didn’t bark? SPOILERS FOR ALL SEASONS

With all the changes that are set to happen in S9, I must say I’m having a bit of an epiphany looking back on SG-1’s previous eight seasons. Don’t get me wrong: I think it’s been excellent, I have loved 99% of it and there have been times when it has risen above itself and been really quite magnificent. The production values have always been high and it has also been graced with two very charismatic actors in CJ and RDA and two quite exceptionally gifted ones in MS and AT. But looking back, its basic flaw has for me been the really frustrating lack of emotional closure. What the team has gone through over the years should have caused really profound emotional and psychological fallout [the most obvious example of this would for me be O’Neill’s ordeal in Abyss]. But the storylines have rarely touched on this apart from its Season 3/4 heyday and the odd later episode [Paradise Lost; Metamorphosis]. The loss, grief, emotional ups and downs and physical injuries incurred over the years should have had some impact but instead the characters bounce back in the next episode and it’s as if those events never happened [this is where the best examples of SG-1 fanfic have stepped in to fill the gaps and it’s really only in the fanfic that the characters have become three-dimensional].
    Now, all that is fine and dandy and maybe the producers never actually intended SG-1 to be anything more than a children’s genre series – but surely they would have wanted it to be more than that [and certainly some of the darker plotlines suggest that they were trying to be more than that]. I feel very strongly that made the X-Files and Buffy into so much more than genre series was their ability to transcend those boundaries and investigate loss, love, failure, whatever. So looking back I think SG-1 is sort of a dog that didn’t bark: so much potential to be more than what it has turned out to be. I still love it and will defend it to anyone who dismisses it as cult TV rubbish – but I will always wonder how much better it could have been! Anyway I’d be really interested to know what people think and I hope I don’t get flamed!

DON’T YOU SMILE AT ME LIKE THAT! THAT’S NOT EVEN A REAL SMILE! IT’S JUST A BUNCH OF TEETH PLAYING WITH MY MIND! Sig courtesy of AmberMoon… kneel before your God!

WWW.SUPERNANNY.US.COM. Log on. Or it’s the naughty chair for you.

Well you have a strong point and I understand how you feel.I always thought that some episodes could have been better.There are so many things to be done.Stories that needed to be rapped up.I like how SG.1 is only season 8 about Jack bodered me much.He has become a general and the team isn't what it was before.I understand that the caracters need to keep on developping but the team isn't like what it was in the previous season especially season 3,4,5 and 6.Than they were really close and if you saw the episode in season 8 It is good to be king it makes you think back at the old days of SG.1.It is good to be king was really an episode where you think: I missed this so much.They are a team once again.Even O'Neill said: Damn I miss going off-world.So in the future season 9 of SG.1 I have really doubt how it is going to be.I have read the spoilers but I think that with Jack gone season 9 is going to be the worst season ever.I want a season 9 but I am afraid of the things that are going to happen.
    Lord Zedd

Comment

Working...
    X