The supposed 'death' of Stargate...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
    You say that as if they're deliberately trying to catch you in a trap. What purpose would that serve? None. They're asked about what's happening, and they're honestly telling you. We're trying, we're this close.
    Not deliberately -- besides creating a false buzz just to get a buzz will only come back to bite you in the mik'ta in the end anyway.

That's what I meant.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      Not deliberately -- besides creating a false buzz just to get a buzz will only come back to bite you in the mik'ta in the end anyway.

That's what I meant.
      That happens so often, things get run over by their own hype train, if one creates a buzz expectations are raised high, and if those are not met by the released product..you have a lot taking too, but not the kind of that you want and could ruin what you tried to revive/continue with completely
      Last edited by DarkenLycht; 28 January 2021, 03:15 AM. Reason: fixed spelling

Comment

All of the "ancillary" material, the Expanded Universe, is really just paid fan-fiction. MGM doesn't do anything themselves. People come to them with ideas, MGM licenses Stargate to them, does some form of laughable "fact" check for the canon, then just reaps the royalties. If they actually invested in stuff, the RPG wouldn't have needed a Kickstarter campaign to increase the budget (and from what I know, Wyvern otherwise paid for it out of their own pocket), the video games wouldn't have been canceled due to bankruptcy or licensing issues, and we could've had a lot more Stargate material. Other examples are the failed Stargate Command platform without global availability, and (though positive for us) the lack of any sort of effort against fan fiction/art/creations (some of which make money), compared to other studios that send C&D letters left and right for even the smallest offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Az'ryel View Post
          That happens so often, things get run over by their own hype train, if one creates a buzz expectations are raised high, and if those are not met by the released product..you have a lot taking too, but not the kind of that you want and could ruin what you tried to reviere/continue with completely
          Cyberpunk 2077 would probably be the best, and latest, example of that.

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
          ...compared to other studios that send C&D letters left and right for even the smallest offense.
          We can thank every Goa'uld in existence that Disney is not the owner of the franchise, concerning the above.

However, if they had been, the extended universe would be... quite extended maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            Cyberpunk 2077 would probably be the best, and latest, example of that.

We can thank every Goa'uld in existence that Disney is not the owner of the franchise, concerning the above.

However, if they had been, the extended universe would be... quite extended maybe.
            which is kind of sad though...Mass Effect: Andromeda was similar to that, also a hype train victim

well, if Disney owned the rights, there would maybe be some Stargate in the next Kingdom Hearts, if there ever was going to be one, which would not be the worst of things to have XD

Comment

I mean, I'm kind of glad Stargate is still this niche IP. Although I would've preferred MGM to be more "balls-y" with their intent for Stargate and actually do something good, I'm fairly happy with their leisurely approach. It gives me some freedom to make fan art/fiction/creations without too much risk. I'm still a fan of Star Trek and Star Wars, but I find the whole modern attention around it much less fun now. Like the little corner shop that grew to become a global franchise. Stargate however is still this little happy corner shop and I want it to stay that way. Oh, it's great if the owner opens more shops around town, but it should still be a family-owned shop where the owners work behind the counter and know all of their regulars by name...

...what were we talking about?

Comment

If comparing Stargate to a corner shop is the way, it's doomed to dissappear once and for all.

Corner shops are a thing of the past... in most places anyway.

Comment

Three years ago (6th February 2018) there was a thread started titled "MGM open to more Stargate depending on the success of SGU and Origins", based apparently on what a member of the cast (Christopher Judge) said.
                  I have not seen what MGM itself has said about the future of Stargate. Did I miss it? Can anybody enlighten me?

Yes, Stargate is still alive and kicking amongst us here on Gateworld, but that is all.
                  Maybe if somebody would start showing the series world-wide on free-to-air TV a few more people might get interested and show support & encourage MGM, or whoever, to continue the series.
                  Whether the new 'continuation' goes back to basics of exploration & making friends and creating new races for us to 'oo & ah' over (maybe finally introduce the Furlings) or continue the killing of new enemies would depend on the feed back of the new fans after they have watched the original series, and movies.
                  But until MGM or somebody starts promoting what has gone before, or starts some new shows/episodes/movies Stargate is dead, except to us.

And it is only Falcon Horus with her rewatch & quiz's & jigsaws (especially the jigsaws) that keeps it alive for me.
                  http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
                    Three years ago (6th February 2018) there was a thread started titled "MGM open to more Stargate depending on the success of SGU and Origins", based apparently on what a member of the cast (Christopher Judge) said.
                    I have not seen what MGM itself has said about the future of Stargate. Did I miss it? Can anybody enlighten me?
                    I think we can safely assume that fizzled out like an old lightbulb... actually, no... they don't fizzle out... they implode and take the rest of the electricity right along with it.

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
                    And it is only Falcon Horus with her rewatch & quiz's & jigsaws (especially the jigsaws) that keeps it alive for me.
                    Which I need to continue... but the last few months have taken its toll on me... on a personal level... therefor, I should mention that I have every intention to continue. In fact, I'm getting back in the schwung (is that a word?) of things.

Comment

Working...
                    X