Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would the US Space Force factor into a future Stargate series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mnikolic View Post
    I imagine that the IOA must have since long-time requested for the SGC's best scientists to focus on re-creating any piece of ancient tech found/encountered in Milky Way, Atlantis, Destiny and any other ancient tech in other Galaxies we've seen in the three shows.
    Ancient technology is the product of millions of years of scientific development and brains capable of operating at far greater levels than humans are. Having access to working models and the Ancient database will give humans a leg up, but it should still take a very long time for them to reproduce much of the Ancient's most advanced technologies.

Remember when Mckay stepped into the ascend-o machine and found his brain capacity increasing? To maximize his ability to understand Ancient technology he invented a whole new form of math that he couldn't understand at all when he was back to normal. The Goa'uld, meanwhile, may not have had access to an Ancient database, but they did have access to Ancient technology and spent thousands of years getting to where they were, which was far, far below the level of the Ancients. And the Asgard were above the Goa'uld, but still behind the Ancients in many regards despite having access to large parts of the Ancient database (Thor said they had only scratched the surface of it).

You may be expecting too much from Earth at this stage in their development.

That could work, but what if no 304's are available because of some XYZ reason? Nonetheless, I like your installing a Stargate in its hangar anyway. Maybe they could do both options, for "just in case" scenario.
    My suggestion was in response to you saying that you imagined a "Hammond-level ship that is especially modified to transport Puddle Jumpers from SG base A to SG Base B or just supply SG teams on missions with them." The Hammond was a 304, so I'm confused by your response. If all 304s are equipped with Stargates and there's not one around in a given situation, there also wouldn't be one around in the scenario you described where they're used as carriers for puddle jumpers.

Maybe they did, it's just that we didn't see it. That and something really tells me that a seed ship is/was also needed to fix Destiny and return it to its full potential. I think it's highly possible that it's exactly what happened.
    Unless one broke down near the Milky Way, getting a seed ship back to Earth is close to impossible.

It was no problem for the Wraith to highjack one of those gate bridges. Now who's to say the same wouldn't happen with new enemies who use advanced tech and rely on advanced sceince? They just need to make some impovements to their systems and game over. Earth needs direct conncetions to the nearby Galaxies and planets. It's better to build a space station/base with a space gate that has an Iris/sheild installed on it in its area. Equip the station with Puddle Jumpers and 304's. Maybe even have an Asgard tech-based spaceship keeping watch on the base. It's a far better solution for going, let's say - from SGC to Atlantis and returning and it's far more secure. Futhermore, equip the base with a forcesheild that could be activated at a moment's notice, whenever needed.
    So you do want them to build more gate bridges, you just want a better, more secure Midway station?

As for dialing long distant Stargates - yes, Earth would need a massive power source to make it happen. Another Icarus base on another Icarus-based planet prooved to be too expensive project and the Langara mission in SGU was attempted and ended up in failure. So the only real option is for Earth to come up with its own power source that's strong enough to enable for dialing long distant Stargates. I'm thinking a similar (but not exactly the same) or perhaps completely different power core/device which eventually ended in McKay blowing up that solar system. All SGC needs to do is to locate it (which, knowing the Anceints, should exist somewhere in the universe for some wired reason), bring a team of scientists to get it under control (of course telling and making McKay stay put and just watch for safety reasons) and then use it to dial long distant Stargates with usage of Earth-made ones.
    For local galaxies they can just keep working on upgrading naquadah generators. It wouldn't let them dial the Destiny, but one Mark XII (from "The Last Man") was theoretically capable of powering Atlantis' shields, so it may have been able to dial the Milky Way when new or in conjuncture with one or more additional Mark XII generations. Overloading their generators in season 1 gave them a 1.3 second connection, so achieving a stable one should be feasible down the road. It also might not hurt to devote research time into the Asgard's neutrino-ion generators. These should be easier to achieve in the near future than learning how to build Stargates.

For the Destiny, I don't think they're going to be able to create something at or above the level of ZPMs any time soon. Again, a ZPM is the pinnacle of millions of years of Ancient scientific development. Earth being able to replicate it should take a very long time and should require, not just research, but the advancement of human intellect to a much higher level. Meanwhile, it should not be at all feasible to create a stable version of something more powerful if the Ancients couldn't do it.
    Last edited by Xaeden; 26 February 2020, 09:07 AM.

Comment

I believe the team dialed the 9th chevron wrongly in Universe. There is no way that the Ancients have built a stargate system which can blow up the dialing home planet. Something is missing in this mystery. Simply it is not logical as imagine how would have they visited their own ship? Would they destroy a planet? I doubt it.

We have talked about big ships and jumpers, but we haven't talked about siege machines. It would be nice to see tank type military cars or tanka drive through the gate. They could develop new armored MALPs, new exoskeletons for soldiers, war drones etc.

I would also expect to make more offworld bases, to rebuild the gate bridge and the Midway Station II.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

The problem isn't in dialing the 9th chevron, it's in how they channeled energy into the Stargate. Naquadria is famously unstable, which is why they also almost blew themselves up when they tried to use it to power the Prometheus' hyperdrive in season 6's "Memento."

Here's what happened in "Memento..."

CARTER
        The hyperdrive was fitted with a buffer, sort of like a surge protecter. It was designed to modulate extreme fluctuations in the energy coming from the naquadria. This shouldn't be happening.

GANT
        Sir, computers are showing a rapid energy build up in the naquadria cells.

RONSON
        Shut down power to the reactor.

GANT

(She tries)

Controls are not responding Sir. The reaction's continuing uncontrolled.

CARTER
        The jump must have triggered a power surge that overloaded the reactor control systems. Sir, without the buffer we have no way to stop the build up. WE have afew minutes before the naquadria goes critical.

CARTER
        We use a rare element called naquadria to power our hyperdrive engine, but it can be extremely unstable, in fact that instability is what led to the explosion over your planet. We had to eject the reactor.

What happened in SGU's pilot was quite similar...
        RILEY: We're reading fluctuations in the output from the ...

YOUNG: Shut it down now.

RUSH: It should have worked.

YOUNG: Well, it didn't, and drawing power from the planet's core ...

RUSH (talking over him): Dangerous? Yes, I'm aware of that.

RILEY: Doctor Rush? I'm reading a dangerous energy spike in the core.

Of course, Rush did point the finger at the Lucian alliance's attack as the reason for the problem...

RUSH: If this bombardment continues, the radioactive core's gonna go critical.

WALLACE: Y-you mean the planet –- it's gonna explode?

RUSH: Yes.

RUSH: If this bombardment continues, the radioactive core's gonna go critical.

WALLACE: Y-you mean the planet –- it's gonna explode?

RUSH: Yes.

But season 2's "Seizure" revealed that there was also a risk of Langara's core going critical just by tapping into that much power and Mckay claimed that he could negate that problem by modifying Rush's calculations...
        McKAY: Now, Rush's original calculations were sound, don't get me wrong. It's just that he was using a trinary instead of a quad base, which of course threw off ...

The Ancients obviously would have used a more stable power source. We know, for example, that when Destiny was launched they had the means to safely store massive amounts of energy. By the time Earth arrived on the Destiny its power reserves were only working at 40% capacity, so it lacked the ability to dial Earth. At full power that should have been no problem since combining the Destiny's energy reserves with the seed ship's energy reserves was believed to have been sufficient to establish a connection. If the Destiny can, at full power, store enough energy to dial a location so far away, the Ancients could have easily created something that stored enough energy to dial the Destiny from Earth.

Naturally, the Ancients who created the Destiny also wouldn't have been the ones who needed that much energy to reach the Destiny. Rather, it would be their descendants, so the ship's builders would have anticipated that the actual energy source used would have been even more advanced than the Destiny's energy storage system.
        Last edited by Xaeden; 31 January 2020, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
          But back to the Space Force in Stargate. Since we have got the Asgard database they could rebuild / upgrade the SGC and even the X304.
          - new jumpers bay in SGC / Moon base
          - new satellite weapons similar to Ancient weapon platform around Earth
          - new X306 ships
          - Asgard scanners, antigravity safety, extra energy shields in gate room

I really liked the concept how vehicles have gone through the gate and these ideas already showed up early in the lore in the SG-1 "Into the fire" and "Watergate" episodes which were years ago before the Atlantis show. Who knows? Maybe the Jaffas will start to build more. The Lucian Alliance can find some Asgard tech too on ruins. New races can join the game for power.
          Yes, I like these points, a thing that I always found lacking was some sort tank/heavy combat vehicle and some land transport truck that could be used via the gate. In any modern warfare these are important support elements of infantry. I think it's in Season 3 ep10 where we se a light infantry fighting vehicle.

However, the lack of these things aren't as important considering the Jaffa armies are in many ways less advanced in many aspects. Using human wave tactics and single fire weapons and lacking heavy ground weaponry themselves. But if our real life history is any indicator, any proper enemy of yours is going to adapt and sooner or later these aspects might be needed. Thus, bringing this back to the question about the space force.

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
          The Space Force also lacks the budget necessary to hide the Stargate program given its size, scope, and the billions of dollars it spends a year. That money can be "disappeared" into the Air Force, which already pours a decent percentage of its budget into secret programs and can easily lose more money by overstating the cost of aircraft, equipment, etc. On the other hand, it would be extremely suspicious if a branch that doesn't have the money to operate independently (it relies on Air Force personnel, facilities, and equipment since only $40 million was allocated to it), suddenly had an influx of funding and personnel that went unaccounted for. ...
          As stated by Xaeden earlier, there are budget limitations to the space force, so realistically the space force would have to employ other branches, like the army mechanized forces, in it's own aid in fighting ground forces on a particular planet. Something of this scale would also pretty much force the issue about the Stargate program becoming at minimum a open secret in society as many soldiers would not come home or the large amount that would arrive home alive with stories to tell. This is of course assuming both the Lucian Alliance and Jaffa Nation et. al. becoming peer competitors to SGC. It would be downright negligent to think they are idiots that can't se the recepie of success behind the SG teams and replicate it. It's another question if a potential sequel in the series would take this into account though.

Comment

Okay, maybe we should talk about the 9th chevron in some other thread.

But back to the thread. So what do you expect from Space Force in a future SG spinoff? What role shall it play? At first I would be happy if they would work asa "beaming station" between continents. I know it sounds like an abuse of the Asgard technology, but that would sound the first logical step.

Then I could imagine a scenario where they try to terraform Earth with the use of Stargate technology, but how can you maintain the suspension and the belief of our timeline for the viewers if they would suddenly reveal the program and use alien technology everywhere. I believe such things would work better in an AU Earth episodes.

Earth is also defenseless since they have lost the chair in Area 51. So any new armada should guard our Solar system while the sensors of Atlantis could detect any incoming ships.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Beaming stations would be possible, but would out the SG program. One of the selling points of the stargate series is that it could be happening atm. I personally don't the series would go such a route as to openly out the Stargate. I also think that the scale the Tau'ri has assumed in the Galaxy mandates so many ppl are involved, that total secrecy is impossible, a open secret. Thus, any tech, politics, military/civillian organisations etc. in the future series, would have to reflect this, imo.

Comment

What I was meant like a travel station between continents. How our transportation could change if they don't need ships, cars, planes anymore as the technology would be available later for everyone. Maybe politicians or VIPs would use it, but then it would be part of our daily life. That is the reason this situation couldn't be handled correctly and the whole lore would suffer.

An open SG program would cause political crisis. I am not with or against the current president. But if the SGC would be locked down for a a few years, then it would explain why we need a new base (studio) for the new show and how our enemies have evolved in the Milky Way.

Not to mention the human health related problems. Fro example. If the Tok'ra can cure any illness, then why have they not given some medicines / technologies to heal cancer or HIV or any other major health issue? How many people would be gladly lie in the sarcophagus if it could heal them forever? They have tried to touch this ethical issue a few times (like Adrian Conrad in season 5), just my hopelessly naive fan myself would wish more. So if they have introduced such miracelous cures then how it is ethical to deny it from others.

Comment

So what do you expect from Space Force in a future SG spinoff? What role shall it play? At first I would be happy if they would work asa "beaming station" between continents. I know it sounds like an abuse of the Asgard technology, but that would sound the first logical step.
                  The program turned military branch is devoted to orbital defense. Why would you give them oversight of trans-continental transport?

As to what I expect, I don't expect anything until we find out whether the Space Force survives another presidency. If a new show suddenly popped up this Fall, I think it would be risky for creators to use it in any significant way. If it's not a reboot, they'd have to go through hoops to explain how it exists in their fictional universe given that the conditions for its creation would not exist there. Then they'd have to hope that it doesn't end up being reabsorbed into the Air Force since it has no practical justification to exist as an independent military branch, top brass are against it, it doesn't have any strong defenders in Congress, and it'll be more costly as an independent military branch than it was as the Air Force's Space Command.

Comment

The program turned military branch is devoted to orbital defense. Why would you give them oversight of trans-continental transport?

As to what I expect, I don't expect anything until we find out whether the Space Force survives another presidency. If a new show suddenly popped up this Fall, I think it would be risky for creators to use it in any significant way. If it's not a reboot, they'd have to go through hoops to explain how it exists in their fictional universe given that the conditions for its creation would not exist there. Then they'd have to hope that it doesn't end up being reabsorbed into the Air Force since it has no practical justification to exist as an independent military branch, top brass are against it, it doesn't have any strong defenders in Congress, and it'll be more costly as an independent military branch than it was as the Air Force's Space Command.
                    Well, all the different branches are evolving towards more interoperability, the army using marine assets, the marines cyber etc. So the Space force could be very simply explained as an umbrella term, while all the budgeting are hidden into different military branches and different countries branches. I.e. The Air Force would still de facto have a similar role to what they have now and have an earmarked portion of their budget to space operations or something similar. There are already precedent in SG-1 and Atlantis of integrating foreign forces, they budget the expenses etc. in their own budgets and then the US Air Force, Space Force, Marines (I.e. SG-3) etc. budget for their SG personnel, equipment, facilities, research. It's a clever way to hide money. The Space Force would have a low budget, but work as a general chief of staff for Space operations, with other branches stuff. In series, this could be easy explained/alluded to in short remarks. The IOA could be factored into this as well, since it's and UN organ, iirc.

As for Asgard trans-continental transport, yeah, that would have to be explained really well. How did you come across this massive tech? What about the air transport industry? (This would be pretty disruptive tech). How about all those VIPs, politicians, I used to be one, I know how they can use **** like this for personal benefit in campaigns etc., Followed any world news coming out of the US especially? There are a lot of anonymous sources leaking info left and right. Sooner or later it would be revealed, imo.

Comment

The Space Force just got a budget, "$18.0 billion commitment to the space domain strengthening our resilience, deterrence, and warfighting options in space"
                      Last edited by K.H.Mattfolk; 14 February 2020, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by K.H.Mattfolk View Post
                        The Space Force just got a budget, "$18.0 billion commitment to the space domain strengthening our resilience, deterrence, and warfighting options in space"
                        That's from the Pentagon's 2021 budget request. Congress will review that request and make its own decision on what it wants to allocate to the Space Force moving forward. It's unlikely that it will end up getting anything close to that. When it was formed, $72.4 million was requested for 2020, but Congress only approved $40 million in funding.

Comment

It should be given to NASA projects (like a Moon base, Mars expedition) instead of starting a cold war in space now. Or if they would build a spaceship / laser platform / defene system against asteroids, but this amount of money could be used on so many more useful projects on Earth instead of around Earth.

Comment

It should be given to NASA projects (like a Moon base, Mars expedition) instead of starting a cold war in space now. Or if they would build a spaceship / laser platform / defene system against asteroids, but this amount of money could be used on so many more useful projects on Earth instead of around Earth.
                            The best way to deal with asteroids is to increase funding for advanced detection. An asteroid can be diverted fairly easily by flying a small spacecraft next to it as the craft's gravity will pull the asteroid slightly off course. For this to be possible, scientists need sufficient notice. Advanced warning time also increases the likelihood of success when considering other impact prevention models.

NASA has an existing proposal to make spotting potentially dangerous celestial objections easier. Essentially, it calls for an infrared space telescope built specifically to detect and track asteroids and more ground telescopes (you can read their full proposal here: https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-conten...-pages-1MB.pdf)

Weaponized models for dealing with an asteroid are much more resource heavy and, at times, downright fanciful. There's also new research that suggests earlier models miscalculated how difficult it would be to break up an asteroid - https://phys.org/news/2019-03-astero...y-thought.html

Comment

but Congress only approved $40 million in funding.
                              kudos to Congress but that's still a waste of $40M for this scam

Comment

I mean humanity should spread into the Solar System, but it should be a neutral, UN based programe. Imagine when the competition will start between USA, Russia and China for the Moon. Who will claim it? Who will build the first permanent colony there? Who would create mining and building drones. It is exciting on one level, but it is also scarry on the other one. Since world peace can not be really achieved as our ancient, animalistic evolutionary competition will always be present, hopefully this whole new Space Force program will turn into something good and not a total domination in space. I still remember the "scorched earth" scene from Babylon 5.

Comment

Working...
                                X