Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else afraid of being seen as a geek?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    She was my age when the original Star Trek came out
    Yep. I was about a year out of high school when the original Star Trek came out, and I watched the whole series and was not happy when it ended.

Comment

The first 'sifi' I can remember watching is Flash Gordon at the Saturday matinees.
      Larry Buster Crabbe if memory serves.
      I will hit 74 in December.
      http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

I'm a geek and a nerd, and I'm proud of it. I was bullied for it in grade/primary school, and for a while in high school. Not really because I was a geek, but more because I was "that boy" who would be the perfect victim. Being a geek just made it easier for them. But I never hated who I am and later on I found more people like me (including here). But today it's very different than it was 15-20 years ago. Now "everyone" is a Star Wars fan, and quite frankly it makes me like Star Wars less and less. I prefer it when someone calls you a geek or a nerd for liking something, it makes me feel different and not "part of the group". It's nothing to be ashamed of and nothing that needs "fixing". Just be who you want to be and do what you want to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
          I will hit 74 in December.
          Sorry Hedwig, you just lost the "you're the oldes geek, I know" status... Who Knows claims that title now.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I am not afraid of that really, I am who I am and I like what I like.

Also, there are far worse things one could be seen as than a geek, at least in my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              Sorry Hedwig, you just lost the "you're the oldes geek, I know" status... Who Knows claims that title now.
              Oh well. Better briefly than not at all.

Comment

people i work with know im a geek and im nerdy and they're cool with it

Comment

Originally posted by Sakura View Post
                  people i work with know im a geek and im nerdy and they're cool with it
                  I love the name Sakura! So beautiful!
                  Hello
                  I like Daniel. Why is there not a simple heart emoji? I got a crush on Daniel. I think I always did.

Comment

I don't like the stereotype in our societies that most of the geek are portrayed with thin body with wear glasses like book worms, then they look like they can't eat enough or they must be ill as they are hardly out of their protective cave / shield / confort zone under the sunlight. Or like the geeks must be some kind of outcast losers or weird or disturbed souls in comparsion to the successfull "alpha males" as women often misjudge and avoid them. The geeks are really judged by their look, but most of the people believe we are some kind of crazy or obsessed people as we can be interested in such things what the majority would consider as unuseful. We don't have to be equal all the time as it would be boring if everyone would be interested in the same things. Some people are good at handiworks, gardening, cars, fixing objects, while others must be dreamers and wonderers. Lots of discoveries wouldn't have happened without such people like us.
                    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                      Oh well. Better briefly than not at all.
                      I can leave it to you in my will if you want
                      http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                        I don't like the stereotype in our societies that most of the geek are portrayed with thin body with wear glasses like book worms, then they look like they can't eat enough or they must be ill as they are hardly out of their protective cave / shield / confort zone under the sunlight. Or like the geeks must be some kind of outcast losers or weird or disturbed souls in comparsion to the successfull "alpha males" as women often misjudge and avoid them. The geeks are really judged by their look, but most of the people believe we are some kind of crazy or obsessed people as we can be interested in such things what the majority would consider as unuseful. We don't have to be equal all the time as it would be boring if everyone would be interested in the same things. Some people are good at handiworks, gardening, cars, fixing objects, while others must be dreamers and wonderers. Lots of discoveries wouldn't have happened without such people like us.
                        So true. I always say that "nerds rule the world", because if it weren't for them, or geeks, we wouldn't have computers, smart phones, video games, or any of the other inventions in the last thirty-or-so years. It's the dreamers and the nerds and the geeks who are doing most of the heavy lifting in the world, seeing for what it can be and not what others want it to be or think it should be.

If I look back at the 60s with shows like Star Trek, Doctor Who, and Thunderbirds, all those have inspired people all over the world to do and change things. In the 70s with Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica, or the 80s with Knight Rider and Back to the Future. So many things have happened because people were inspired by these shows or movies. And so many people have been, are, or will be, inspired by all those and everything that will come.

Sci-fi/fantasy writers and fans are this century's philosophers is what I believe. We look forward and beyond what the muggles can see or want to see. We see humanity's potential rather than our shortcomings, and that the sky is not the limit, but just the beginning.

Comment

I'm a geek, and a nerd.
                          Can't deal with it, that's your problem, not mine.
                          sigpic
                          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                            I'm a geek, and a nerd.
                            Can't deal with it, that's your problem, not mine.
                            So true

Comment

I'm a geek and proud of what I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                                I don't like the stereotype in our societies that most of the geek are portrayed with thin body with wear glasses like book worms, then they look like they can't eat enough or they must be ill as they are hardly out of their protective cave / shield / confort zone under the sunlight.
                                *snort*

*looks at self*

I fit that description to a T, except for the "not seeing enough sun" bit... One ray of sunlight and I have a nice tan to show I leave my "basement" plenty of times.

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
                                So true. I always say that "nerds rule the world", because if it weren't for them, or geeks, we wouldn't have computers, smart phones, video games, or any of the other inventions in the last thirty-or-so years. It's the dreamers and the nerds and the geeks who are doing most of the heavy lifting in the world, seeing for what it can be and not what others want it to be or think it should be.
                                Which reminds me of the "whole worlds pivot on the acts of imagination" speech by the 13th Doctor in the Tsuranga Conundrum episode.
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X