No announcement yet.

Stargate: Phoenix ~ Tabletop RPG by Wyvern Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insolence. Frankenstein is an AU here. Of course I know him, but I couldn't get the reference. I am getting forgetful like Lord Yu.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Darren has put out a news too :
      https://www.gateworld.net/news/2020/...n-playtesting/
      It would be time to call it as Stargate : Phoenix now. Maybe this thread's title should be extended too.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
        Darren has put out a news too :
        https://www.gateworld.net/news/2020/...n-playtesting/
        It would be time to call it as Stargate : Phoenix now. Maybe this thread's title should be extended too.
        Done!
        The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

I wish all of my wishes would be granted so quickly. So I would like to rule over a galaxy.. okay maybe a planet, please? Or can I wish for more wishes?

There was an old SG fan made SG cartoon and comic (chibigate) which had a joke : "Do you want to rule over a planet? Let's find you one!"

Talking about Goa'uld. I am guessing only the GM can play with Goa'uld. Will there be some random Systemlord generator? Maybe I should have a look on this open beta, before my precious evil egomaniac overdressed narcistic alien gods won't get the right treatment.
          Last edited by Platschu; 03 March 2020, 03:18 AM.

Comment

If only I knew how to play an RPG... this might have been interesting to do... but I don't... so yay for exclusion*!

(* starts to feel like a stargate theme)
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

We will see. At least something is happening and the franchise is moving forward. I am interested what do they mean under "episodes". Re-play some SG-1 episodes? Because earlier they have talked about such RPG stories which are based on SG-1 episodes. Or will they provide monthly official new moduls? Will it be free? Is it part of the canon, but not the main live action canon? I haven't expected such things, but it sounds promising like a new interactive season of fan fiction.

Comment

I think it's continuing episodes... like err... chapters perhaps.

You can't expect people unfamiliar with stargate to play a game they don't know the origin story of -- or are only vaguely familiar with.

Remember, the audience cannot be exclusive to people knowing stargate cause that would mean instant failure -- there are simply not enough stargate fans who are also interested in or are already playing RPG. That is a niche group in on itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  I think it's continuing episodes... like err... chapters perhaps.

You can't expect people unfamiliar with stargate to play a game they don't know the origin story of -- or are only vaguely familiar with.

Remember, the audience cannot be exclusive to people knowing stargate cause that would mean instant failure -- there are simply not enough stargate fans who are also interested in or are already playing RPG. That is a niche group in on itself.
                  Though, you can. Stargate fans aren't the only target audience, roleplaying gamers are as well. As long as the GM knows Stargate and the players are interested, anyone can play the game. It's simply the job of the GM then to provide adventures to introduce the players, much like how a TV show should introduce the (new) audience.

SG-1, SGA, and SGU highly likely each served as the first foray into the Stargate universe for a lot of fans, yet with the exception of SG-1, none of them specifically recapped the entire lore of the franchise. Heck, even though there was only the original movie at first, I jumped right into SG-1 season 2 at the time without knowing how it all started. Of course, that was before I became a continuity nut; nowadays I have to start at the beginning of something to be able to follow along (which sucks when it comes to Marvel and DC).

Heck, even with Star Trek I jumped ahead several times, notably with the movies and the MMO Star Trek Online. Only now do I fully get all the references.

Comment

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
                    Though, you can. Stargate fans aren't the only target audience, roleplaying gamers are as well. As long as the GM knows Stargate and the players are interested, anyone can play the game. It's simply the job of the GM then to provide adventures to introduce the players, much like how a TV show should introduce the (new) audience.
                    That's what I meant... might not have explained it too well.

The target audience is wider than Stargate alone, hence why it should contain a broad range of ... err... information.

Comment

Ah yes, I agree with that. That is partly why I'm concerned about this "Stargate: Phoenix" and whether or not the RPG book will be about Stargate the franchise, or just Stargate: Phoenix. Pretty much every RPG based on an IP that I've read, recently Star Trek but also the old Stargate RPG, explained the lore as much as was necessary for players to understand and play the game.

Comment

I've skimmed the book. Without going into too much detail (there's an NDA concerning the rules), I will probably ignore it and move on. While it's still quite early in beta, some things seem to already be "fixed" in terms of design, things I don't agree with and things that detract from the game it should or could be. So I have no interest in it, and will move on to homebrew (custom design) my own rules based on Star Trek's 2d20.

Comment

Wouldn't they be receptive to feedback concerning the rule book?

It's still -- technically speaking -- in development.

Comment

It's an adaption of the D&D 5.0 rules, which is why I said half the thread ago there are no suprises to be had here. I don't blame nick for wanting to find a better system, (though, his choice of 2d20 is somewhat off putting). I really think you guys need to dig back in RPG history to find, or adapt what works. I know I come off arrogant with this, but I have been playing, running, conventioning RPG's for over 30 years, THIS is my wheelhouse.
                            I only want to HELP people.
                            sigpic
                            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I've provided a lengthy review for them, so they should be aware of it. But in my experience, such things are usually already determined so the chances of them changing it is very slim.

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                              It's an adaption of the D&D 5.0 rules, which is why I said half the thread ago there are no suprises to be had here. I don't blame nick for wanting to find a better system, (though, his choice of 2d20 is somewhat off putting). I really think you guys need to dig back in RPG history to find, or adapt what works. I know I come off arrogant with this, but I have been playing, running, conventioning RPG's for over 30 years, THIS is my wheelhouse.
                              I only want to HELP people.
                              It's my choice to use 2d20 because I feel the system is perfectly suitable for Stargate. You might think otherwise, but of course you can decide which system to use for your games. I didn't specifically mind 5e, also considering the original AEG version used the d20 system and 5e is "easier" (in quotes, because it was easier for me to understand the system compared to the older versions). But with my experience of Star Trek Adventures, I just feel that system is more suitable for the style of Stargate.

Comment

I have downloaded the core book and I have shared my feedback. But we are not allowed to talk about here, so I believe I have to skip this thread until it has not been published in August.

Comment

Working...
                                X