MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
    No main news on the GW. There is no report from fans here either. Nothing so far.
    Must there be... it's perfectly in line with the franchise.

I mean, there's an "official" convention going on in Chicago and they can't even make it trend on twitter.
    When Celebrations was happening in April in that same city, my feed was literally filled with one Star Wars related post after another -- and I don't follow any more SW-related accounts than I do stargate accounts.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

There was a short advertisement on FaceBook... Probably the SW fans are more loyal, while the organizers know how to make online buzz for the event. The SG:C is lacking of this PR attitude as it feels they are still living in the past and they focus only on the business level. Nostalgia won't sell the Stargate to next viewer generation, but I am sure we talked about this here a lot already. Just because the parents loved this whow in the '90es, their children won't necessarily watch it. The nextgen SG must really stand up to the new standards, but I am dreaming again...
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

The stargate franchise lacks vision... so long as they can't fix that problem, there won''t be anything long term.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          The stargate franchise lacks vision... so long as they can't fix that problem, there won''t be anything long term.
          I'll second that. They needed somebody behind the wheel - As long as its not JJ Abrams or Alex Kurtzman - to get the franchise going again. Get a leader, build a team (behind and in front of the camera) and get cracking... Alas, that costs money. And MGM is to cheap for that.
          sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
            ...As long as its not JJ Abrams or Alex Kurtzman...

Star Trek Abrams I can get behind, but what's wrong with Kurtzman?

Comment

Star Trek Abrams I can get behind, but what's wrong with Kurtzman?
              He mimics Abrams designs - Discovery looks more like JJ Trek, then pre-2009 trek - and the writing on Discovery has not been stellar either. For instance....

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies/discovery_continuity.htm

....and IMHO, many of the 'emotional scenes' are over the top and toe-curling badly written. Like 'just because my....' levels of bad. You know which scene from 'Children of the Gods' we're talking about here. That level of writing is very, very common for Star Trek Discovery. And Kurtzman is the big cheese, so IMHO it's his fault. (As they say in the States'...the buck stops here.)
              sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Wanna know something funny... apparently the SGC panelists apologized for not acknowledging the tweetstorm that happened in March last year.

Do I detect a hint of regret of alienating a large portion of the fans?
                Probably not, but it's not gonna save their asses. Too little too late.
                lol Really? That is funny.

Way too damn late.

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
                  I'll second that. They needed somebody behind the wheel - As long as its not JJ Abrams or Alex Kurtzman - to get the franchise going again. Get a leader, build a team (behind and in front of the camera) and get cracking... Alas, that costs money. And MGM is to cheap for that.
                  Khmm... They can always choose me. Platypus world domination!
                  : swims around in the local pond :

Star Trek : Discovery is off-topic here, so we should not argue about it here. Maybe it is good or bad, but it has definately put back Star Trek to the television screens and it has opened the door for 3-4-5 ST spinoffs. So MGM is really behind if they want to reach such goals with Stargate.
                  "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

CBS did what MGM is afraid to do... they took a chance with Discovery. They struck a deal with Netflix and it paid of -- big time.

Whether you like Discovery or not is beside the matter, but it did what CBS hoped it would do, put Star Trek back on the radar.

Sidenote: I love Discovery and it's the reason I have a Netflix account. The first season I downloaded, then learned it was available a day after airing in the US on Netflix and got an account to watch season 2 through legal streaming channels. Eagerly awaiting season 3 next year.

Comment

The 10 episode long Picard series will come on Amazon Prime (or Hulu?), if I have heard it well, but the hardcore trekkie guys can tell you the details in the ST folder. I also love Discovery as it has raised a nice new high standard for future scifi shows. Funny enough that all the haters still watch it and it has really pushed up the number of paying customers of CBS All-Access. MGM just tried to copy them, while the quality (and the budget) difference is so huge that it is not worth of comparing them. But in spite of my first disappointment/annoyment/shock/rage, I have never believed I will say such things that I would rather accept more Origins type of smaller SG adventures than nothing. We had so high hopes for more during 2018 then it was just a marketing lie where even CJ has played a big misleading role. And it is sad how they fooled everyone. Now they use the Superfans for the same marketing reasons to keep this sinking ship somehow on the surface. The new app design and its restriction must have been an own torpedo explosion. And I am sad as I wanted to be loyal till the end, but it looks like we have to let it go.

Comment

The 10 episode long Picard series will come on Amazon Prime (or Hulu?)...
                        They will definitely not be on Netflix, which is a shame. Was looking forward to watching it but I don't have access to Prime or Hulu or any other then Netflix.

MGM just tried to copy them, while the quality (and the budget) difference is so huge that it is not worth of comparing them.
                        CBS All Access and MGM's Stargate Command are two different streaming services altogether. CBSAA contains the entire, or almost the entire CBS catalogue and is a streaming service kin to Netflix, Prime and Hulu, except that it only has CBS shows.

Stargate Command is a toy compared to CBSAA. It's a gadget which only has Stargate content fully owned by MGM (therefore no Infinity). The only thing it has over AA is that it gives access to 6 countries, AA is only available to American subscribers.

We had so high hopes for more during 2018 then it was just a marketing lie where even CJ has played a big misleading role.
                        Stargate is a job for Chris. We don't know what his personal opinions are. He's doing a job representing a franchise that employed him for over a decade. He's not going to speak ill of the company that gave him a job, unless he's in the habit of burning his employment bridges which I very much doubt.

I mean, none of us would burn potential bridges with employers if you still like to have a job in the business.

And it is sad how they fooled everyone.
                        I think they don't care, or at least didn't care... until it backfired maybe... but even then... I don't think they care very much about "feelings" fans might have. Fans are opinionated to begin with but keeping them on your side is always better than alienating them. They have a habit of biting back.

Now they use the Superfans for the same marketing reasons to keep this sinking ship somehow on the surface.
                        I think they are hoping, or were hoping that people who are in the middle of the fandom -- even though, I literally know none of them, except for Bra'zat -- could rally the troops in a manner of speaking to build the "community" anew. The problem is they didn't look at the fans, they looked at the people and what they accomplished or do within the fandom.

It's no wonder they picked 10 people who have a considerable amount of followers on social media. They picked "stargate influencers" and not "knowledge-containing" superfans. They wanted people who have the ability to amass a following and to bring that following into their inner circle.

Promise them a patch, a hat, the moon... and they will come. They won't ask questions until it's too late and by then, they will have paid with no refund given. Just give him all the shows to stream, give him a few extra goodies... and they won't question the shortcomings or the limited access.

I'm curious what they'll promise next to keep the subscribers they currently still have because there were quite a lot who didn't subscribe again until they were promised more (in the grand scheme of things).

The new app design and its restriction must have been an own torpedo explosion. And I am sad as I wanted to be loyal till the end, but it looks like we have to let it go.
                        We let go of Stargate Command (it's been more than a week since my last log in) but we do not have to let go of Stargate.

Comment

I'm thinking about doing something crazy and actually make a proper non-Fandom wiki. And then start with a completely new rewatch to then update the wiki semi-chronologically. I still want to make a contribution and making a proper wiki is the relatively "simplest" thing I can do that I still love doing.

Comment

I believe you have mentioned it a few months ago. Honestly... it is not worth of doing it. The current one is quite good as most of the pages tell you what is cannon and what is uncannon. But if you feel the need, just do it. But I believe you should focus your energies and efforts on your own scifi world or your own SG spin-off instead of talking again about something which was done by other fans already.

Comment

The thing is, the wiki is anything but accurate. It doesn't actually separate canon from non-canon material, which includes never-released material like the games. And it's rarely updated other than when Origins came out or when new books come out.

And being a stickler for continuity I feel there's a responsibility to structure everything so that it's clear what is and isn't canon and avoid situations where fans disagree about things, or are confused about things, even though the canon is pretty clear (like the topic of Ra's arrival just now).

The reason I'm considering this is because it won't cost too much of my time and energy. I'm building a wiki-like thing anyway, have plenty of experience running a wiki on a webserver, and won't cost too much time compared to 3D art and fan-fiction.

Whether it's worth it remains to be seen indeed. But that has never stopped me before. But the only thing I will lose is the time it takes to write the articles, nothing more.

Comment

I can say that I will be more than happy to read them whatever you do.

Comment

Working...
                                X