No announcement yet.

MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Controlling what is being said and talked about, is a way of making sure that people like myself don't get it in their heads to talk about expansion, or to point out that they are deliberately dividing the "community" for their own gain.

I thought they couldn't fall any lower, but they most certainly just proven they can.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Well... We could always comment about the extension as "off-topic". It looks like they have no intention to make any step aboutthe extension, but that is what we were expecting anyway.

They have really lost me. I won't spend so much energy into their fancy app. Why do they believe that "guided subjects" will be interesting for the people? Because if there would be newer and newer threads week by week then maybe they could get a few comments. But we are talking about 15-20 years old episodes which were discussed back and forth here. NickEast is right, this is cenzorship. Brr.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Glad that as even one of "the chosen" I never bothered with this.
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
          Glad that as even one of "the chosen" I never bothered with this.
          Many have come before you and more will follow behind you... It's a franchise disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            Many have come before you and more will follow behind you... It's a franchise disaster.
            I remember how exited everyone was for this when it was first announced and I think that is what makes me the most put off by it. MGM -deliberately- kept Bond and Stargate as not a fan service but a business decision.
            Now they have all but trashed stargate, no wonder they went under.
            sigpic

Comment

Considering how poorly they even manage their license agreements, I'm surprised they even have anyone left that's interested in what they have to offer.

They missed the opportune stargate moment by lightyears and it's a sad thing to see that franchise go under like it does, and don't even care that it does.

Comment

I remember how exited everyone was for this when it was first announced...
                I remember being all psyched up for the announcement then the massive WTF?!?! when it was revealed to be a 10 ten minute episode webseries focusing on a young Catherine Langford, well before the Gate was even first used. Oh, and it’ll be on its own proprietary pay streaming site! umm, WTF?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by mooseman View Post
                  I remember being all psyched up for the announcement then the massive WTF?!?! when it was revealed to be a 10 ten minute episode webseries focusing on a young Catherine Langford, well before the Gate was even first used. Oh, and it’ll be on its own proprietary pay streaming site! umm, WTF?!?!
                  I think I remembered LOL'ing when I saw that...
                  Should have known then that it would never be about the "fans" or the "community" but all about "making as much money with as little content as possible" and "you're not the fan we are looking for".

They singlehandly turned Stargate into a joke.

What angers me the most -- I think -- is the manner in which they wave the problem of their privilige away with "look at how cool we look". Their closeminded community is a disgrace to the franchise, and controlling the narrative isn't going to do them any good.

Mark my words, this won't last.

Comment

It's all fun and games, until someone breaks a nail.

EDIT: Well, that lasted longer than I thought. The SGC site is now broken for me all of a sudden. First it loaded with a 404 (the main page), then refreshed and it half-loads with a "something went wrong" message.

Comment

The dialing computer needs work
                      sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I never thought I’d miss that “forum” they had. It was crap, but at least we were free to talk about what we wanted to talk about. Heck, it even inspired me enough that I made some really lazy fanart (collages) to post, which is something I’ve never done before for anything. I’m kinda bummed now because I didn’t save most of them. I wish they had warned us they were trashing everything so I could have downloaded them (or did they? I wasn’t paying that much attention).

ETA: lol at the site being down.

Comment

The dialing computer needs work
                          CARTER!!!

She'll be able to fix it for us...

Yeah, I never thought I’d miss that “forum” they had. It was crap, but at least we were free to talk about what we wanted to talk about. Heck, it even inspired me enough that I made some really lazy fanart (collages) to post, which is something I’ve never done before for anything. I’m kinda bummed now because I didn’t save most of them. I wish they had warned us they were trashing everything so I could have downloaded them (or did they? I wasn’t paying that much attention).
                          They didn't. They just announced the maintenance and nothing else.

Yeah, I never thought I would say this but the message feed certainly looks appealing right about now. At least, we were talking random and stargate.
                          Controlling the narrative, in my opinion, will most likely end in tears.

Then again... they don't really care about the community. If they did, they wouldn't ignore 3/4 of it at every turn.

No, I'd like to think that they want to control what comes in as far as what people talk about, and that they don't have to see people asking about expansion all the time... Which I'm sure we can still do if we derail the threads they have going...

OH... wait a minute.... here's an idea... Thread derailment, I'm good at that.

ETA: lol at the site being down.
                          And it still is... too bad, cause I wanted to check out the code behind it.

Comment

*giggles*

I just found the list of 4 words which are deemed inappropriate (and they are, mind you) to use in your username.

Also, it no longer says "Watch our newspage for updates for expansion." or however that went again. I now simply says "Content not available in your region." -- I guess, "we're working on it" is no longer applicable after that.

Also, it looks like it's just the home page that's offline... I just managed to log in and arrived inside just fine.

...now please excuse me as I have some code reading to do.

--- Edit ---

Nevermind, paying customers are already using the existing "discussions" to vent their grievances on the "new design"...
                            Last edited by Falcon Horus; 01 June 2019, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Yep, I, too, much to my own surprise, had grown fond of the feed in the SGC app.
                              Platschu's quizzes were a quick, fun way to get my mind off of things.
                              Being able to post a question regarding whatever episode I'm re-watching for the 7th time like "Did anyone realize the first on-screen mention of the word Naquduah was by Dr. Janet Frazier?" and get a quick response was cool. It was just starting to feel like, for the first time, I wasn't watching the show all by myself.
                              So, now I'm here. Years back I used to browse the GateWorld Omnipedia often, but never signed up for the forums. I stopped coming to GateWorld though, because the re-design of the advertisements meant the site took a long time to load on my tablet, and those auto-play video ads made navigation difficult.

Comment

Welcome, Davabled. You will find how many threads exist here and you can talk whatever you feel to be discussed. The old feed was good for visual quizes (like my "travel quizes"), while here you can find tematic and free threads in organised way. The biggest disadvantage of the feed was that the deeper conversation were lost (because of my flood ), so it was harder to search back them again.

"Hi Platschu - you are - literally - one of our true Original Gaters, and have been a passionate/committed fan. Your constructive criticism in the past helped shape some of the decisions we made here. The not-having-your-own threads is not to be restrictive, truly. We are not censoring you - quite the opposite actually. We needed to be able to offer areas for you all to actually state your opinions and feelings about Stargate in a way fans could follow more easily!! Try it out with us for awhile, and I promise to listen and reply to the feedback. -Jenny"

It is nice and really upsetting at the same time. I still don't need the feed to log in. The temptation was there, but I have resisted. I know, I know, I have said good-bye after the cursed Superfan contest too, but I still continued my little SG performance day by day in spite of how much they have hurt me. Now I don't regret it at all. They could have told them that the restricted subjects will be a really bad and controversial idea. Maybe I will be calmed down after a few day.

It is really worrying and annoying that I have spent so much time with the feed then they deleted it without saying a word. The travel quizes were nothing special or extraordinary as I have used the screenshots and promotional photos from GW and AG. I have asked permission from MGM and Darren (GW owner). But you can imagine 1000+ pictures / questions needed lots of time.

My little own fan art, collages, glyph mythology, Stargate in thr kitchen, Stargate in the park "photo series" will be uploaded on GW. My fan fiction thread is still here (Milky way in 2020), so only some part of it was shared on the SG:C feed. But anyway life is going on, just I really don't want to build something then they pull the plug again, so probably I am staying here now on GW,
                                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Working...
                                X