MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
    FH: I have sent you a message on SG:C. Only SommerSDR has found me and she asked lots of question what is my opinion, how the app could gain new viewers etc. We had a nice and honest chit-chat about everything. She seems to be the best Superfan for us who is approachable and who is also available on the app. I have linked this thread for her, so maybe she will join us, but it looks like there are lots of restrictions what she can or can't talk about.
    I'll check my messages later.

Though, I've decided to no longer be an active member at Command. It has run its course for me.

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
    Noveltynerdorwhatever is just about her business, Stargate Guy still makes videos, Frazat is interested in concept arts, replicas and costumes. We don't know anything about the other six SuperFans, but I am guessing they are not allowed to talk about WonderCon. If anything interested happened at all.
    Considering TheStargateGuy gave me the "they're really working on it" line, I'd say they had to drink the Command Kool-Aid, and the whole "representation" is just to make it look good to the "community".

I think Sommer is the only one active -- at least, I thought she was, to know what's going on in the community. But, like I said, they are most likely going to have to step in line with the Command crew and every bit of that "your superfans" is just an illusion.

And I'm not in the mood to be treated even more like an outsider, then I already was, being ignored and receiving the most sarcastic replies you can imagine, let alone the entitled crowd.

That "gated" community is never going to change. They had their chance, and they squandered it freely.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Interesting?

http://collider.com/russo-brothers-p...movies/#images
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Remakes... seriously?

Did they run out of ideas?

Remakes seem to be the new trend these days.

But seriously, do you really want a remake of Stargate, which might then lead to a reboot, which would inevitably lead to an eraser of all that came before ** -- i.e. the "re-imagining" of The Thomas Crown Affair.

Yeah, I don't think so.

------

** I mean, let's face it, MGM doesn't give a rat's behind about the fanbase. Stargate Command is the perfect example of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          Remakes... seriously?

Did they run out of ideas?

Remakes seem to be the new trend these days.

But seriously, do you really want a remake of Stargate, which might then lead to a reboot, which would inevitably lead to an eraser of all that came before ** -- i.e. the "re-imagining" of The Thomas Crown Affair.

Yeah, I don't think so.

------

** I mean, let's face it, MGM doesn't give a rat's behind about the fanbase. Stargate Command is the perfect example of that.
          Honestly?
          I don't care at this point. We are not gonna get RDA, Shanks and Tapping, Nor will we get Flannigan and Hewlett, or Tori, or Jason, or my loved Rachel.
          Look to the possibllity of 2 directors who have made arguably the best marvel movies looking at a property like stargate and saying "hmm, what could we do with this?"
          That's what interests me.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
            Look to the possibllity of 2 directors who have made arguably the best marvel movies looking at a property like stargate and saying "hmm, what could we do with this?"
            True, I guess, but would MGM let them, that's but the question...

Comment

Honestly?
              I don't care at this point. We are not gonna get RDA, Shanks and Tapping, Nor will we get Flannigan and Hewlett, or Tori, or Jason, or my loved Rachel.
              This has nothing to do with the actors. It doesn't matter if we don't get the original actors. It's not necessary to have something new. It's also not about the directors who made some very good Marvel movies. The point is that a reboot erases 25 years of hard work by a lot more people than just the actors. A single movie, fine. But 25 years of stories, character development and worldbuilding and arguably one, perhaps even two, of some proper sci-fi TV is not.

And before someone comes in and says that there's nothing to be told anymore because Earth is too overpowered to have another powerful enemy, there are always imaginative possibilities.

That said, I definitely would not presume that the Russo brothers would be interested in Stargate at all. It's a TV franchise first and foremost, and the film itself was maybe a blockbuster back in the day but is now nothing more than a cultfilm.

Comment

I wouldn't mind some action packed scifi adventure as Stargate 2 as long as it is written as a continuation of the existing tv franchise.

Other. It looks like the SG:C membership's price has gone up to 36 dollars from 20 dollars. I have already expressed my negative view about it as they haven't provided any new live material for year 2.

Somner (who became the 10th SuperFan) started an open conversation with her. At least she is lovely and enthusiastic, but I can't say the same about the leadership behind SG:C. No WonderCon video, nothing.
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

But "lovely and enthusiastic" don't buy you anything if your hands are tight, and from the looks of it, their hands are tight behind their backs -- tighter than any rope.

You know what pisses me off -- and I'm sure Sommer and the others (whoever they are) mean well -- is that they seem entirely oblivious to the simple fact that Stargate Command denies access to half the fan community, and they don't even care. They just spout the same "we're working on it"-line like they think that's the magic word or something. Do they really think we're still buying that line? Like, for real?

It's all unicorns and butterflies for them -- well, it's not for us.

Those who came and went are not gonna come back. Those who are still there, either only stream and never visit the message feed, or visit the message feed (perhaps a handful of people) and stream, and those who deliberately did not take out another year and just hang around to watch the train wreck happen.

The crew of Command is so wrapped up in their own little bubble that they don't realize how unwelcome their little piece of "heaven" is to outsiders. Their communication skills are appaling at best, and quite frankly, their definition of respect needs work -- common decency is already difficult to apprehend it seems.

I cannot fathom how they can look themselves in the mirror, when they deliberately live to mislead and bait.

"Come and see our newest whatever video. Here's a preview." --- "Oh, you want to watch it in full. Oh yeah, sorry... you're not welcome to watch our cool stuff. Sorry, you're not the fan we want in our community. Yeah, we didn't tell you cause then we won't get to have you making an account... and that would skew our statistics."

"Expansion --- ha ha, no... we're not expanding any time soon. Maybe next year. You know, we're working on it."

Command defines itself as a "fan community" but they aren't worthy of that definition. Not by a long shot.
                  They are a disgrace to the franchise and the Stargate IP.

Comment

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
                    This has nothing to do with the actors. It doesn't matter if we don't get the original actors. It's not necessary to have something new. It's also not about the directors who made some very good Marvel movies.
                    Then what is the point?
                    The point is that a reboot erases 25 years of hard work by a lot more people than just the actors. A single movie, fine. But 25 years of stories, character development and worldbuilding and arguably one, perhaps even two, of some proper sci-fi TV is not.
                    Then the world is dead. You can't say it's not about NOT having something new, then be concerned with anything new changing it. I also disagree with this 25 year premise, it's not. 25 years for the fans, sure, but not for canon worldbuilding or stories.

I get loyalty to a franchise, and wanting it to come back and continue, and yes, you don't absolutely need the original actors, SGA and SGU proved that, as did the post TOS Trek franchises, but you can't ignore that things like TNG (and especially DS9) -fundamentally- changed the landscape for that franchise, and in some ways retconned and altered what had came before.
                    And before someone comes in and says that there's nothing to be told anymore because Earth is too overpowered to have another powerful enemy, there are always imaginative possibilities.
                    Yet, no-one has come up with one, at least not anyone in a position to enact it. I'm not saying it CAN'T be done, I'm saying no one has yet. You and Platschu have some great idea's, one's I would like to see on a big or small screen, but until it gets into the hands of someone who can do something...…..
                    That said, I definitely would not presume that the Russo brothers would be interested in Stargate at all. It's a TV franchise first and foremost, and the film itself was maybe a blockbuster back in the day but is now nothing more than a cultfilm.
                    I'm not presuming anything, I am not even assuming they would go the re-boot path, I just found it interesting that 2 very talented directors, who do have a long history of small screen success are interested in MGM. MGM had to sell off a whole slew of it's properties to survive, which sounds very familiar to exactly what Marvel had to do as well.
                    Will they touch stargate? I don't know.
                    Do we agree the stargate is an excellent vehicle for telling multiple kinds of stories, much like the MCU can tell multiple kinds of stories as well?
                    sigpic

Comment

Oh yes, definitely. Stargate has the potential to be as big as Marvel or Star Wars. In fact, I keep proposing turning Stargate into something like the Marvel "multiverse". That way we can all have reboots, alternate realities (messes like Stargate Origins), and continuations, in the form of TV series, comics, games, movies, etc. So, for example, say that Emmerich/Devlin, or the Russo brothers, created a reboot (trilogy) of the original movie. Then that happens in another reality, while keeping the primary continuity (the TV franchise) intact and still have the possibility of continuing it.

Essentially the Expanded Universe already is like that. Both SGA comics and novels tell completely different post-season 5 stories.

If only MGM would actually be interested in properly maintaining the canon, like Star Wars is doing.

P.S.: I messed up that first paragraph. What I meant with "it's not necessary to make something new" was that it's not necessary to make reboots or to continue the existing series (as in, we keep what we have and there won't be anything to mess that up, like Origins). In a way I think getting nothing at all is better than getting something that keeps dividing the fanbase. This is separate from saying that if they do make a reboot, they're erasing all that came before, which I think I can safely say that barely anyone in the fanbase wants (some people throw the word "reboot" around on SGC not aware what it means for the franchise).

Comment

Oh yes, definitely. Stargate has the potential to be as big as Marvel or Star Wars. In fact, I keep proposing turning Stargate into something like the Marvel "multiverse". That way we can all have reboots, alternate realities (messes like Stargate Origins), and continuations, in the form of TV series, comics, games, movies, etc. So, for example, say that Emmerich/Devlin, or the Russo brothers, created a reboot (trilogy) of the original movie. Then that happens in another reality, while keeping the primary continuity (the TV franchise) intact and still have the possibility of continuing it.
                        Strictly speaking, The TV universe is a re-boot of the movie, we as FANS of that particular incarnation just give it far more weight, and that's fine, it's what we are emotionally invested in.
                        Essentially the Expanded Universe already is like that. Both SGA comics and novels tell completely different post-season 5 stories.

If only MGM would actually be interested in properly maintaining the canon, like Star Wars is doing.
                        SW slaughtered the Expanded Universe, stripping it all out of canon, essentially making some 100 books fan fiction until elements of them got returned.
                        Again, you can't want the canon, and then demolish it at the same time. Anything post S10, S5, or S2 would essentially go away under the Disney model. All the stories from the comics, the books, ANYTHING would become nothing more than fan fiction.
                        P.S.: I messed up that first paragraph. What I meant with "it's not necessary to make something new" was that it's not necessary to make reboots or to continue the existing series (as in, we keep what we have and there won't be anything to mess that up, like Origins). In a way I think getting nothing at all is better than getting something that keeps dividing the fanbase. This is separate from saying that if they do make a reboot, they're erasing all that came before, which I think I can safely say that barely anyone in the fanbase wants (some people throw the word "reboot" around on SGC not aware what it means for the franchise).
                        A very valid point, but again, I ask, what is the point?
                        What is the endgame (sorry) here? is SGC no more than a pipe dream?
                        Are we uselessly expending time, effort and thought into something that will be nothing?
                        A LOOOONNNGG time ago, there was a thread asking "who is the most important character in Stargate", and I maintain it is the stargate itself, because it is the vehicle through which the -stories- get told.
                        That's my mindset, I want to see the GATE back, and I'm honestly not too fussed if you alter things to do it. I don't expect to ever see continuations of SG-1, SGA or SGU in canonical form, I accepted that years ago.
                        Would I PREFER a continuation, yes.
                        Do I EXPECT it, no.
                        sigpic

Comment

Again, I don't think you're seeing it. A "continuation" does not mean continuing SG-1 SGA or SGU. It means continuing Stargate as a franchise, rather than starting over. Create a new series or movie that builds upon what already exists rather than starting over.

The TV series is not a reboot of the movie. It's a sequel. Yes, they retconned some things, but everything that happened in the movie still happened in the series.

You also cannot compare what I say with what Disney has done. The Stargate Expanded Universe still builds upon the existing franchise, but the sequel comics tell a different story than the sequel novels. That was an example of the multiverse of Marvel. What I meant with Star Wars is the "Lucasfilm Story Group", or the "Holocron Continuity Database" as it was called before that. It's a group of people that will fact-check every story to make sure it fits the canon. MGM simply has nothing like that. They just have some bureaucrats who only want to make sure the stories "fit", but care nothing about making sure they don't contradict anything. My examples have nothing to do with Disney's decision to create a new canon. And Stargate's EU material already is non-canon. It was never canon to begin with.

And I do expect a continuation, just one like Origins which will "try" to follow canon, but not respect it.

Comment

Again, I don't think you're seeing it. A "continuation" does not mean continuing SG-1 SGA or SGU. It means continuing Stargate as a franchise, rather than starting over. Create a new series or movie that builds upon what already exists rather than starting over.
                            No, I get it, I just think it's the most unlikely option.
                            I'm trying to balance expectation, desire, and reality.
                            The TV series is not a reboot of the movie. It's a sequel. Yes, they retconned some things, but everything that happened in the movie still happened in the series.
                            What would you do with a reboot that followed the path of the movie?
                            I know I am threading a needle here, but you are essentially talking about origin stories here.
                            You also cannot compare what I say with what Disney has done. The Stargate Expanded Universe still builds upon the existing franchise, but the sequel comics tell a different story than the sequel novels. That was an example of the multiverse of Marvel. What I meant with Star Wars is the "Lucasfilm Story Group", or the "Holocron Continuity Database" as it was called before that. It's a group of people that will fact-check every story to make sure it fits the canon. MGM simply has nothing like that. They just have some bureaucrats who only want to make sure the stories "fit", but care nothing about making sure they don't contradict anything. My examples have nothing to do with Disney's decision to create a new canon. And Stargate's EU material already is non-canon. It was never canon to begin with.
                            Then why care about the Stargate EU?
                            You are talking about a SYSTEM, not the stories.
                            And I do expect a continuation, just one like Origins which will "try" to follow canon, but not respect it.
                            Again, what is the point?
                            sigpic

Comment

No, I get it, I just think it's the most unlikely option.
                              I'm trying to balance expectation, desire, and reality.
                              I don't think so. SG already has a smaller - abused by its parents - fanbase than most franchise and dismissing the canon would be the final stroke. It's also probably why nobody's rushing to do anything, they've got an angry (smallish) mob of fans breathing down their neck waiting for one false step. SG never was like ST, it's been one uninterrupted story. That's one of the main reason I enjoyed SG, compared to a bunch of stand-alone episodes just like so many 90s shows.

A bad producer would pull an Origins story like the B-class movie we've been hand-fed and split it in 10 minutes episodes with spinning screen ending credits.

I'd be content with just finishing up SG:U to be honest. Perhaps a couple movies to wrap up the fate of Atlantis on Earth, the rest I don't really care unless it's a brand new TV series.

What would you do with a reboot that followed the path of the movie?
                              Throw it back in the trash where it belongs.

I know I am threading a needle here, but you are essentially talking about origin stories here.
                              Not sure what you mean but SG1 and everything after is the direct continuation of the movie so it's a sequel.
                              Spoiler:
                              I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

FH: Somner shared nice photos on FaceBook, but I wouldn't be surprised if she is not even allowed to share those on the SG:C.

Sad reality is that we can talk as much as we want about new SG materials (movies or tv series), if nothing happens in real life. I simply don't believe that anything will change even with or without Superfans... Stargate could tell so many different type of stories, but the leadership is wasting this potential.
                                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Working...
                                X