MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    The Children of MacGuyver are hoping he can get them an in with MGM to perhaps get an in with their stargate replica (which I think looks amazing and certainly should get an official recognition from MGM the way we get recognition from Disney/Lucasfilm for our Star Wars replicas).
    Technically, something like that was also on my agenda, if I would have been chosen. But more along the lines of getting an official "Story Group", and the possibility of developing a game or something. Who knows what will happen when they swing back to me in April or something.

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
    Just an FYI but according to GateWorld's report on this, the panel is going to be rotating yearly so those who might not have got in it yet do get another chance.
    Indeed, they also mentioned that in a personal email they sent me, in which they stated that while I didn't win this time, I could resubmit for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
      Just an FYI but according to GateWorld's report on this, the panel is going to be rotating yearly so those who might not have got in it yet do get another chance.
      Trouble is, if it fails this year, there won't be a next year.
      Which is always a possibility, but with the way things generally tend to go with anything coming out of Command -- I'm not exactly positive about the outcome.

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
      Technically, something like that was also on my agenda, if I would have been chosen. But more along the lines of getting an official "Story Group", and the possibility of developing a game or something. Who knows what will happen when they swing back to me in April or something.
      It's all about networking, so I wouldn't give up on that idea. Not that you were, but you know... networking.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

We will see how the current Stargate Superfans will play the music what they are expecting from them. I believe they have chosen such people who believed to be good at merchandise products or those ones who can advertise their application. Even if there would be a new contest next year, there is no way that I will participitate again. If I could have known that I won't be selected anyway, then I could have skipped this one and now I would be happily publish pictures day by day and then I don't cause an emotional break for myself. I have given the chance for myself and for them, but no, thank you, I don't plan to burn myself again. Especially not if there is no progress on the franchise or on the app until next year. I can support them or give them advices even if they are interested or they aren't. My priority was always the community, so we can't give up to push them about a statement regarding the extension.

I was even thinking to write a letter to the CEO of MGM to check what is going on this app and why it can not be extended, but then it would be like backstabbing them and it is not really me as it wouldn't be an elegant move, but maybe it would be more effective than begging to them. So if any app leader or Superfan reads this thread, then please think about the foreign fans.

"Story group" sounds cool. But it would be easier if I could send a detailed SG draft to Brad Wright. Do anyone know his email address? I have seen him on Twitter, so maybe it would be worth of finding it out. Probably he couldn't accept or legally read any fan written ideas, but who knows? If there is a will, there is a way as we know this common word.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Have you seen this spelling error?

https://www.stargatecommand.co/feeds...tml&k=b4ff8e7b

Yvonne Cahill, Australia
          Nicole Rodrigues Galdo, United Kingdon
          Sonia Melinkoff, USA
          Marcia Middleton, USA
          Noah Miller, USA
          William Murphy, USA
          Nicole Saelzle, Germany
          Guillaume Saint-Pierre, France
          Taylor Underwood, USA
          United Kingdon.... instead of United Kingdom. No more comment.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
            My priority was always the community,...
            Which isn't theirs.

Edit:
            By which I mean that MGM/Command is aimed at making money without having to spend much of their own. Hence the superfan panel -- they are free workers and don't have to be paid. Just give them swag, a cool title, some cool extras and they'll do the work for you.

The fact they went with people who already have a following in some way, is more than enough proof they weren't looking for "superfans" but for people who could market their product. They chose 8 people from countries with all-access, and only 1 from outside of that scope. Their target audience is 6 countries. The rest of the world is just not within that scope but they opened the Tongal thing up worldwide so if they had not picked a token non-access member it would have looked even worse perhaps. It's an illusion to think they have the "international" community at heart -- they don't. Just those 6 countries.

You and I are too much of a pain-in-their-behinds. We've been haggling them for an explanation on why there isn't an expansion coming. They don't like that. We'll just have to continue to be the rebels, fighting for justice and the community of every fan in every country.

United Kingdon.... instead of United Kingdom. No more comment.
            Woops.

And look at that, I got told off by a superfan winner -- Sonia Melinkoff -- on facebook. That's one off the list. She clearly doesn't have the entire community at heart. That's 8 souls left. Stargate Guy scored a plus 1 on twitter already, but she's down one point.

Off to a bad start, that one is.
            Last edited by Falcon Horus; 08 March 2019, 02:29 PM.

Comment

"Story group" sounds cool. But it would be easier if I could send a detailed SG draft to Brad Wright. Do anyone know his email address? I have seen him on Twitter, so maybe it would be worth of finding it out. Probably he couldn't accept or legally read any fan written ideas, but who knows? If there is a will, there is a way as we know this common word.
              Alas, as far I know, Brad Wright's e-mail cannot be found on the internet. Yours truly tried to find it when he wrote his plan for SGU 2.0/SGU season three and failed utterly. (Of course, if anybody can help Platschu and prove me wrong, please do so.) As for sending MGM stuff, I didn't even get a 'thanks, but no thanks' letter after sending my draft. (Netflix did send me a polite no thank you e-mail. So they are better at this MGM.)

Not trying to be negative here, for the record, just sharing my experience and trying to spare you disappointment. Hope this helps.
              sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

In order for stories to be considered, you need to have an Agent. Joseph Mallozzi once tweeted (in reply to a question) that no script is looked at that doesn't come through an agent.

You need to have a perfect pitch.

@Platschu
                I don't know if this is an idea you'd want to pursue, but perhaps we could write our own story. Like what the Sparkies did with our virtual season 6 of Stargate Atlantis. As a group we wrote 10 episodes and published them online. There was a whole bunch of us, and each of us had their task (I checked for continuity errors and provided the necessary cheering on occasion).

Comment

I remember when Joe blogged once about that they are not allowed to read any fan fictions because what if some plot elements aer used in real episodes, then there would be a legal issue whos idea it was etc. I know it was just a naive idea that Brad Wright or MGM would consider any fan suggestions, but who knows? Maybe they are just reading us.

It is not necessarily about my ideas. I am sure there lots of more talented people here than me. Maybe the Tongal should make a story idea contest or something. But then all the writers would give up every rights, while they would keep the story elements.

So if the SG can't renew itself officially, then maybe we should establish a little "creative workshop" to show what fans could achieve. That is the reason I would have encouraged to organise a photoshop competitions:

1. how could they place a Stargate into a home made landscape photo. These ones could be used later in fan campaign that we want more Stargate. Just imagine how many good pictures we could see in different forests, mountains or any other climates and terrains.
                  2. how could they place a Stargate into a predefined landscape photo.
                  3. how could they make drawings / digital landscape around a predefined Stargate.
                  4. or just simply create your own Stargate network. Any design, but 9 chevrons and ring shape would be a restriction.
                  See? Such little things could activate the fandom, while it could demonstrate our talent and our need for more official Stargate materials. That is the reason I started those very simple "Stargate in the kitchen" and "Stargate in the park" photos on the SG:C. Just for fun. They were really minimalistic fan art, but people were cheered up. I have a few more ideas and maybe I will take my mini-stargate with me on my holiday.

I was thinking on my own scifi world as well as probably many of us did as well. I have envisoned at least 2 dozen races, but I have never had the time to develop proper storylines or characters. I am better to imagining story ideas, character moments or visual scenes since I am not a professional writer. And I have noticed it really needs time and rewrite, rewrite, practice and even more rewrite if I wanted to be satisfied with the idea.

I have to tell you I am not a big fan of fan fiction. Sorry. Not because they would be bad, just so many people can not thinking out of the box. We love SG-1 and Atlantis heroes, but anyone could start new heroes, new faces, new challenges, new races, new stargate networks. So I liked such fan fictions where the story was not interfering the officai timelines, while it could work in time or/and space as a separate entity, like an extended universe of Stargate.

I also prefer a slightly more complex stories as well. As much as I love Stargate, some episodes were a bit too simple and dumb. They had such a big lore behind them, so they could have made direct crossovers or references as the fans could still follow the story.

@Platschu
                  I don't know if this is an idea you'd want to pursue, but perhaps we could write our own story. Like what the Sparkies did with our virtual season 6 of Stargate Atlantis. As a group we wrote 10 episodes and published them online. There was a whole bunch of us, and each of us had their task (I checked for continuity errors and provided the necessary cheering on occasion).
                  I am not against such things just I am worried I wouldn't be enough good. But maybe I could be a story consultant or advisor. (I believe I have sent you a message to help me out with my Omoroca story idea as it is strongly based on the Gilgames myth. Maybe you have missed that pm or the idea was so weird that you have never replied. )
                  Last edited by Platschu; 08 March 2019, 03:32 PM.

Comment

So if the SG can't renew itself officially, then maybe we should establish a little "creative workshop" to show what fans could achieve. That is the reason I would have encouraged to organise a photoshop competitions:

1. how could they place a Stargate into a home made landscape photo. These ones could be used later in fan campaign that we want more Stargate. Just imagine how many good pictures we could see in different forests, mountains or any other climates and terrains.
                    2. how could they place a Stargate into a predefined landscape photo.
                    3. how could they make drawings / digital landscape around a predefined Stargate.
                    4. or just simply create your own Stargate network. Any design, but 9 chevrons and ring shape would be a restriction.
                    See? Such little things could activate the fandom, while it could demonstrate our talent and our need for more official Stargate materials. That is the reason I started those very simple "Stargate in the kitchen" and "Stargate in the park" photos on the SG:C. Just for fun. They were really minimalistic fan art, but people were cheered up. I have a few more ideas and maybe I will take my mini-stargate with me on my holiday.
                    I like these ideas and DEFINITELY TAKE YOUR GATE ON VACATION (just don't break it).

I have a Pet Rock (I kid you not) that I drag along everywhere and put in my images and then drop them on Instagram because I don't post images of myself there (well, my hand is always in the picture).

I draw a smiley on one side and then snap an interesting shot.

(I believe I have sent you a message to help me out with my Omoroca story idea as it is strongly based on the Gilgames myth. Maybe you have missed that pm or the idea was so weird that you have never replied. )
                    I did see it, and I still owe you a reply.

Comment

I have Boci (means "baby cow") with me on my holidays :
                      https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...FtYnl1akhYdHZR
                      It was a gift from my 4 years old nephew, who has hided in my bag in 2010 when I have moved to the UK. And he is still with me everywhere as a nice memory. One of my all time favorite movie is the "The Fabulous Destiny of Amélie Poulain" where they had a similar idea. If you have seen that French movie, you wll get the reference. I believe the mini-stargate will join Boci for the latest adventures. I can't carry around the 3d printed bigger one as it is a bit breakable. Any it is in good hands of my Platypus guard.
                      https://www.stargatecommand.co/forum...tml&k=fb920687

Comment

Oh my goddess... Boci is awesome!

A friend of mine has a piglet which travels the world that way. I have my rock (which started as a bit of joke in Scotland), and I also have Carson, my teddybear turtle, that goes everywhere with me (even to conventions where at one point he was literally tucked into my tactical blackhawk vest. He was like the mascot of our SG-team.

And yes, I have seen Amélie Poulain. It's literally one of my favorite films.

A few years ago, one of our local radiostations did a similar thing with a teddybear called Mister Rabbit. It belonged to a toddler who had passed away and they send him all over the world with travellers to take images everywhere. We applied as well but never got chosen to take him with us. All the while he was travelling, people could also donate money (by buying the song they made) in order to support the charity set up in remembrance of the little boy.
                        It literally brought the whole country together and when the rabbit finally arrived back home at the airport, they even set up a welcoming party. It was awesome.

Comment

I should clarify, what I mean with "Story Group" is like the Lucasfilm Story Group. Aka, a group of people who ensure that all new stories follow the established canon, and who determine what actually is canon in the first place (or the "levels" of canon). This would be better, I think, than a bunch of corporate guys just sign off on a random story that "kinda looks" to fit with Stargate, but actually may not, but they don't really care (aka, Stargate: Origins ).

Comment

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
                            I should clarify, what I mean with "Story Group" is like the Lucasfilm Story Group. Aka, a group of people who ensure that all new stories follow the established canon, and who determine what actually is canon in the first place (or the "levels" of canon). This would be better, I think, than a bunch of corporate guys just sign off on a random story that "kinda looks" to fit with Stargate, but actually may not, but they don't really care (aka, Stargate: Origins ).
                            They could definitely use that.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                              They could definitely use that.
                              But it would cost money, so it will never happen. (Anything that costs money is vetoed by default, I figure.)
                              sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

I would such things for free. Stargate has got multiverse, so I always say to accept every merchandise products with a "what if" thinking. For example the event of the RPG books maybe happened in a distant alternate reality, but not in ours. Or the events of the Stargate : Worlds could happen as an AU story. Races, enemies, allies could come and go, but the main thing is still entertaining the audience. Wait a second, they need an audience at SG:C... What they could get, but they don't let them in just to continue this metaphore.

But I know NickEast was meant that directly such things should not happen onscreen what don't fit into a canon. Like Ra can clone a Goa'uld... Why would he do it if Isis has betrayed him? It was not logical that the Goa'uld were not eating the defeated enemy, so why would they bother to put any of them into a canopus jar? But then Isis is back as Aset (and it is revealed only from an episode briefing), while Ra just slightly referred to this act in the conversation with Aset. If I didn't know what is all about, I couldn't understand the reference. Then they even introduced a Harsesis child... Meh. So it was unnecessarry.

Comment

Working...
                                X