No announcement yet.

MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, if our two champions get to be Superfans, we'll have a party... and if you're not a part of that group, we'll start our own Superfan round table right here.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

For those ones who has just joined this thread :
      https://tongal.com/project/StargateS...el/#/tab-forum

Thanks for the virtual party idea as it feels good to be supported.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post

I wouldn't mind some kind of animated SG-1/Atlantis series with voice actors, but why do you think that one would be cheaper then a "real" SG movie?
        This is an intersting idea

I recently have watched most of the Star Wars Clone Wars anime series and that was fantastic and more engaging then I thought it would have the capability to be.

It would be cheaper to produce continuing SGA and SGU content at this point as there's no need to rebuild sets, and easier to get the actors to reprise their roles because even if they are doing other stuff it's a matter of being in-studio at a convenient time

It's a shame Telltate games aren't still around as they could have made some episodic small games for SG same as with GoT and TWD

This is better route then Origins or something of that ilk, warms the franchise brand up again and would hopefully lead into more live actions shows, or at least Television movies, but unlike Continuum etc where DVD movies were a feasible business model I think they need more prolongued content for subscription oriented streaming services

Comment

Stargate SG-1 : Unleashed was an attempt to make such adventures, but it has also failed. I have collected the gameplay videos here, but maybe somebody should merge them into a "game movie". I know it is not perfect, but it still feels like a lost episode of SG-1, because the original actors are here as voice actors. So treat it like an audibook with some visual guidelines and then it could be enjoyable. I have never played this game, but some part of it was really beautiful (like the statues around the Stargate or the throne room).

Stargate SG-1 : Unleashed

Episode 1 part 1 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG3VxkXfusc
          Episode 1 part 2 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXLyECrPkIU
          Episode 1 part 3 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6WLtgv3Ikk
          Episode 1 part 4 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5FThqPLNp0
          Episode 1 part 5 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5FThqPLNp0
          Episode 2 part 1 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Zkm8d6uVo
          Episode 2 part 2 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkUEsrKmHUI
          Episode 2 part 3 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCg_xJfykvU
          Episode 2 part 4 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5FThqPLNp0
          Episode 2 part 5 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1nNf1tUy5M

Official Stargate SG-1: Unleashed Ep 3 Teaser Trailer : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzfu37OryeA

Jaffa marks of Sekhmet and Amun :
          https://www.stargatecommand.co/forum...tml&k=fb920687

Stargate SG-1 Unleashed concept arts by Sam Santos
          https://samuelsantos.artstation.com/projects/lRPXV
          https://samuelsantos.artstation.com/projects/JneJA

And here was a talk about other Jaffa helmets here :
          https://www.stargatecommand.co/forum...tml&k=fb920687

But I believe I have shared these here on GW in other threads.
          Last edited by Platschu; 03 March 2019, 05:22 AM.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I like the animated series ideas. Especially if they use The Clone Wars/Star Wars Rebels style of animation and get the original actors to do the voices. Also...

*Puts down round table.*

Oh, and if a guy called Arthur shows up, you have no idea where that came from.
            sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

We talked about it a few times that the Stargate lore needs some "eras" to be developed, where future spinoffs or fan fictions could work. We have got such a rich history that it would be nice to hear about the past of Earth, what aliens have been here, how the Goa'uld arrived, how the Four Race Alliance was built, how the Ancient colonies were abadonned etc. There would be so much adventures to tell which can still have an effect on the sequels of the current franchise. I believe the Stargate : Origins would be a cool idea to tell some prequel stories, but the audience is still more interested what happened with their existing heroes.

Unfortunately the latest americanized adaption of the King Arthur story is just in the cinemas (The King Who Would Be King), secondly this mythology was already touched in the season 9-10 of SG-1. So it could work only if it would be like a continuation of that established mythology.

I had a similar idea what I have shared a few months ago as I really wanted to see Arthur and his Round table in Stargate as an Origins story. I have even imagined an Omoroca storyline on Earth, who had a very complicated life and she turned into be "Lady of the lake" later who helped Arthur and his knight in their galactic quest.

But this is off for this thread and it should be about the official news of the next SG projects. Feel free to spin your ideas in the "fan fiction" section.
              Last edited by Platschu; 03 March 2019, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ausfan View Post
                It would be cheaper to produce continuing SGA and SGU content at this point as there's no need to rebuild sets...
                Hate to be the bringer of bad news but none of the Stargate sets are currently still available. They were all torn down and/or sold of in that very large auction a few years ago. So yes, if they were to continue either SGU or SGA they would have to rebuild the entire set from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  Hate to be the bringer of bad news but none of the Stargate sets are currently still available. They were all torn down and/or sold of in that very large auction a few years ago. So yes, if they were to continue either SGU or SGA they would have to rebuild the entire set from scratch.
                  We're talking about animated shows here. He said that they didn't have to rebuild the sets; which they wouldn't have to if they would continue SGA or SGU as animated shows.

Comment

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
                    We're talking about animated shows here. He said that they didn't have to rebuild the sets; which they wouldn't have to if they would continue SGA or SGU as animated shows.
                    Oh... sorry... missed that.

Well no, animation doesn't require sets, just drawings.

Comment

How much could it really cost to bring back those sets, that's one thing I don't get. It's still a new show, you'd need to get new sets nonetheless right?
                      Spoiler:
                      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                        How much could it really cost to bring back those sets, that's one thing I don't get. It's still a new show, you'd need to get new sets nonetheless right?
                        Making the sets -look- as good as they did then would cost millions as an upfront cost. Tat's why procedurals, or non set dependant shows do so well, that cost is removed to a degree.
                        sigpic
                        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

If I remember well the exact numbers, the whole Atlantis set was 5 million dollars, the Ori interior village set was 1.5 million, while the Sodan exterior village set was 800 00 dollars. That was the main reason they had to make a few "smaller" episodes, where were hardly any off-world scene and they have just played with some props in the existing sets. Or they tried to reduce the costs with redocarating so it was shared with the Atlantis spinoff.

As far as I know the original SGC set was repainted when they have shot the Icarus base scenes for the Universe pilot episode "Air". The Atlantis set was boxed up and some part of it was sold. They have sold the gate set for example, what is unbelievable and unacceptable that they have sold the most impotant set piece. The Universe bridge set was bought by David Hewlett as far as I know, but I don't know if he ever managed to shoot any movie in it. There was some scifi parody with Stargate alumnis, but I have never seen it, so I can't confirm it.

If you watch the Unleashed gameplay, they have done a quite good job to make the SGC set believable.

Stargate : Resistance (also a now cancelled FPS game) had a nice, virtual SGC set :
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD3Jn_ynxIE

Stargate : Network (v4.0) has got the most beautiful SGC interior. The gate and DHD related effects looks and sounds amazing in spite of this is only a fan project. They have added new planets and even a jumper accoding to gameplay videos, but I have also not played with this game. Yet.
                          https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...k+4.0+gameplay
                          Last edited by Platschu; 04 March 2019, 02:24 AM.

Comment

While Stargate Network is a fairly good "game" (it's more a simulation than a game), pretty much every fan game makes a big mistake with the SGC that all official games didn't. They recreate the SGC based off of the set drawings/floor plans, even though the "actual" in-universe base doesn't look like that at all. The set was designed to be as efficient as possible, so many aspects of it could be refurbished to serve as different parts of the same base, in addition to clever camera tricks to make it seem as if it was bigger than it really was. It was also built compactly, to fit within the limited space of the sound stage (hence the design error concerning the space between the control room and briefing room windows which would have the large blast door cover the briefing room window when raised).

Both The Alliance, Worlds/Resistance, and Unleashed games used artistic license to expand the environment of the SGC to make it bigger and fit more like a military base, while keeping the parts that we know (the briefing room, control room, gate room, and surrounding corridors) the same; or at least roughly the same, depending on the needs for the games. Though not all of them were designed in a way that I thought would fit the base as depicted in the shows.

And @FalconHorus: animation doesn't have to be 2D. If it was 3D animated, like the aforementioned Star Wars The Clone Wars and Rebels, then they would still have to make "sets". They would just be 3D environments, like in the games.

Comment

I know about this as even the Atlantis set was changed so many times. Like the gate ares was the training room and dining room.

Talking about weird camera angles. Even their briefing table is cut in half at the SGC. There is a line in the middle if you noticed. So if a character sat at the end and they wanted a close-up, they just removed half of the table so the cameraman could go even closer to the actors.

I still miss a good Stargate game. If I can hear the sound effects of the stargate (like spinning, locking chevrons, formind the kawoosh, making noises on the ramp, entering the event horizon), it always makes me shiver. Maybe one day we will get a nice one. I mentioned the Stargate Network asa good example what diligent work can achieve. If it gives back all these feelings that you can dial on a DHD or at the SGC's computers, then it was worth of doing it.

5 hours to go!!!
                              Last edited by Platschu; 04 March 2019, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                                I know about this as even the Atlantis set was changed so many times. Like the gate ares was the training room and dining room.

Talking about weird camera angles. Even their briefing table is cut in half at the SGC. There is a line in the middle if you noticed. So if a character sat at the end and they wanted a close-up, they just removed half of the table so the cameraman could go even closer to the actors.

I still miss a good Stargate game. If I can hear the sound effects of the stargate (like spinning, locking chevrons, formind the kawoosh, making noises on the ramp, entering the event horizon), it always makes me shiver. Maybe one day we will get a nice one. I mentioned the Stargate Network asa good example what diligent work can achieve. If it gives back all these feelings that you can dial on a DHD or at the SGC's computers, then it was worth of doing it.

5 hours to go!!!
                                I was working on my own game prototype and I got as far as making my own Stargate. I did help the SGN guys a little with their puddle, providing my own version as an example with some suggestions. I also worked hard to make the ripples when something passes through it. I was now reworking my own Stargate after switching modeling software (and realizing I made the original one too small). There are some remarks I have about SGN, but I would be really arrogant and selfish if I started criticizing them for that so I won't. Rather, I would just focus on making my own version.

Comment

Working...
                                X