No announcement yet.

MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pixar made slightly different movie versions for international markets.

They could also upload the DVD extras as "extras" or maybe they audio commentars, the transcripts etc. So basically everything should be found on SG:C what can be seen on DVDs / Blue-rays, if they really want to be the home of everything Stargate and it was not just a marketing phrase....
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
      People wouldn't say Dutch Belgian or French Swiss would they?
      Errmm... actually... yeah, kinda.

And according to some news outlets the French Belgians and Dutch Belgians are at a civil war kind of level in terms of being friendly neighbors.

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
      Pixar made slightly different movie versions for international markets.
      Because puns don't always translate well in other languages and neither do cultural differences.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Not just jokes, but a few details were changed in screens :
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk5rA_mXShs
        When I have seen the latest Fantastic Beast movie that some notes and signs were changed into Hungarian language instead of putting the translation up on the screen. I appreciate such little efforts for such a tiny 10-15 million market as Hungary.
        Last edited by Platschu; 12 February 2019, 10:29 AM.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          Errmm... actually... yeah, kinda.
          Okay okay, my F-R-E-N-C-H Canadian fit is over, thanks for hearing me out

Because puns don't always translate well in other languages and neither do cultural differences.
          This ^

The France French language in itself is messed up, half the words are English words pronounced in a French accent. Our swears are superior as well. We have weaponized our swears to absolute perfection.

On the other hand, the Canadian French language is even more messed up, made up of slang and invented words, countless expressions, the accent is literally the opposite of the Francs. Most folks from Paris I met were shocked to realize they can't understand most of what we say.

For instance, The Simpsons had Quebec French voice-overs, which are absolutely hilarious, and the jokes are adapted to us.

English: I don't give a sh*t
          Francs: On s'en branle / On s'en bat les couilles
          QC: On s'en calisse / tabarnac / crisse

*Exhales loudly* Okay I'm done, sorry.
          Spoiler:
          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

As far as I know, the producers, or anyone involved in the making of a film or TV series, are not involved with translating anything. It's the distribution company in a particular country or territory that organizes the translations, or outsource it to other companies. They create the subtitles and/or hire the actors to rerecord dialogue for dubs.

There are exceptions to this. There are some modern Pixar movies that actually translate the stuff in the movies; important signs, billboards, newspaper headlines and such (I've seen it happen with the Dutch versions of some movies). But I believe the rest is outsourced to the relevant distribution companies (something that's usually shown in the language-specific credits).

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
              The France French language in itself is messed up, half the words are English words pronounced in a French accent. Our swears are superior as well. We have weaponized our swears to absolute perfection.

On the other hand, the Canadian French language is even more messed up, made up of slang and invented words, countless expressions, the accent is literally the opposite of the Francs. Most folks from Paris I met were shocked to realize they can't understand most of what we say.
              The only folks who speak proper French, are the French.

On that note, the only people who speak proper Flemish are voice actors.
              The rest of us, not so much.

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
              There are exceptions to this. There are some modern Pixar movies that actually translate the stuff in the movies; important signs, billboards, newspaper headlines and such (I've seen it happen with the Dutch versions of some movies). But I believe the rest is outsourced to the relevant distribution companies (something that's usually shown in the language-specific credits).
              I remember something Zootopia did. I think it was a newsreader character which was different for each country.

*does search*

Here we go: Zootopia Has Different News Anchors for Different Countries

Comment

Do you know when will they organise the con in Los Angeles? I have got two weeks holiday from 10th March, but I haven't booked anything yet. I doubt I will win, but they won't reveal it until 26th February and I believe one of the organiser said that maybe they need even more time to process the videos.

I could find only this one, but this is a Transformers con in Los Angeles in 2019 March.
                https://www.tfcon.com/tfcon-usa-2019...in-los-angeles

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                  Do you know when will they organise the con in Los Angeles? I have got two weeks holiday from 10th March, but I haven't booked anything yet. I doubt I will win, but they won't reveal it until 26th February and I believe one of the organiser said that maybe they need even more time to process the videos.

I could find only this one, but this is a Transformers con in Los Angeles in 2019 March.
                  https://www.tfcon.com/tfcon-usa-2019...in-los-angeles
                  It's not going to be a con as far as I know. Based on what has been announced, it's going to be an assembly of the panel and Stargate Command/Tongal.

Comment

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
                    It's not going to be a con as far as I know. Based on what has been announced, it's going to be an assembly of the panel and Stargate Command/Tongal.
                    Perhaps maybe something like the Dial Home interviews so people get to know you. Seems plausible. I want to know who my representatives are after all.

Comment

Boo !
                      sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
                        Boo !

Comment

Boo !
                          Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          https://goo.gl/images/k2iq4v
                          Spoiler:
                          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

LOL

Anyhow.....to add my two cents, I have zero faith in this whole Tongal set up. Nor this supposed Superfan group. I suspect any suggestions/decisions by the fans will vanish into the nearest trashcan. It sounds to me like a way to string the fans along. Or just a PR stunt. Especially because of all of this 'six countries' nonsense. I don't trust MGM (or whoever they hired to run Stargate Command) as far I can throw them.
                            Last edited by Janus; 15 February 2019, 08:53 AM. Reason: Typo
                            sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

I don't trust MGM (or whoever they hired to run Stargate Command) as far I can throw them.
                              MGM may be footing the bills but Command is run by a couple consultants active in the entertainment industry. I've seen the credentials of one of them -- she certainly has the experience to proof she's quite capable at what she does. And it's software is maintained by TopFan.

Comment

We still don't know what they are planning. What if something is really planned with / without Brad Wright and they want to ask the Superfans how to build a nice and convincing marketing campaign for the premiere in the autumn or winter or next year? How can you convince people to pay for year 3, if nothing was offered for year 2 and not even the precious badge? This unfair treatment,the beuildup of false promises and the extension situation still must be mentioned by future Superfans and these are what I expect from every future winners. As we have said it many times here before even a "no" is better than this ostrick policy how they pretend to not hear the sceptical or demanding voices. The PR part of the franchise must be strengthened or rebuilt and maybe they also feel it so they count on the Superfans to shake up things towards other fans and maybe with some honest, closed door feedbacks. Maybe they could convince more people to join SG:C if they could find some famous YouTuber (followers min. 50k+), who could watch or rewatch episodes, so this way the SG:C could advertise themselves. The problem is that they probably won't pay anyone to do such things. Secondly, all episodes are 10-15-20 years old, so if somebody wanted to watch and to "react" it they have done it already.... It will be challenging to reinitiate this whole brand and franchise, but maybe the Superfans are the first steps that they consider it seriously. So I don't want to be negative in spite of last year's the false promises, but I can understand if everyone turned a bit sceptical now. We have to give them a chance to prove themselves even if they haven't given chance for the other 194 countries so far. We will see, gaters.

Comment

Working...
                                X