No announcement yet.

MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I have regenerated into a new self...

To those who don't fully see the relevance of that statement, I had requested a username change so it's the same one I use everywhere else (including Twitter and SGC).

Comment

Nivao died and NickEast was born!
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

hopefully something new stargate wise will come maybe a movie or two with some of the stargate sg1 and atlantis cast and then a tv series. even a stargate game if it is done by a good game studio. i would really like to see stargate on 4k ultra-hd it would be awesome.

Comment

Realistically, I think all we can expect is something else on the scale of Origins. And that is fine by me! Give me anthology movies that explore different areas of the lore. I just hope it's a better effort, this time around.
          sigpic
          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
            Realistically, I think all we can expect is something else on the scale of Origins. And that is fine by me! Give me anthology movies that explore different areas of the lore. I just hope it's a better effort, this time around.
            Which they don't have to spend too much money on, because "realistically" that's what it will be.
            It won't bring in new fans on a massive scale, nor will it be viewable by the existing fans on a massive scale.

It's surprising how many stargate fans I have encountered in a recent friending meme who never seen Origins, or even knew it existed -- and the former I thought quite possible, but the latter not so much.
            Last edited by Falcon Horus; 04 February 2019, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Nivao/NickEast : Welcome back in new form!

I have just seen some TV spots from the SuperBowl. 6 million dollars for 30 secs?! Wow. This whole franchise could be saved from that amount of money as it could be enough for a little SG movie....

We have talked about it last year, how they should rebuild this brand step by step : 1-2 smaller Origins storie (like a Nox or Asgard story, Omoroca, Aiyana), then introduce a new team as a backdoor pilot in an SG crossover or Origin movie, then maybe a mini-series, then later maybe a complete season. If they could plan everything carefully for the next 5 years, it could be achieved. The audience will always love a good adventure-scifi tv show, so I hope they won't waste this brand.

edit.: I have just gone through this thread quickly. OMG. We have really talked a lot since last year.

Who Posted?

Falcon Horus -Posts 308
              Platschu - Posts 178
              Chaka-Z0 - Posts 119
              NickEast - Posts 84
              Last edited by Platschu; 04 February 2019, 01:26 AM.
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Just don't make it bingewatchable like everything these days, cause I think it gets shows cancelled faster than one episode a week.

Comment

I had to check my dictionary for "binge watchable".

I just want to reach that success level like CBS with Star Trek. That we could have 2-3 SG spinoffs for every year. I am dreaming again...

The SG:C looks dead again. Almost zero fan activity. Meh.
                  "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                    I had to check my dictionary for "binge watchable".
                    You'll find, it'll say TM Falcon Horus.

By which I mean that it should be treated as a regular TV-series with an episode a week, like Discovery, after which you can bingewatch it, if you like that sort of thing.

If you want your audience engaged and not fleeting, make sure the period of no episodes is as short as possible. Bingewatch series have a momentary surge and then... nothing.

Fans will most likely always return, but your casual viewers (the people that actually matter to keep something alive) probably won't.

I just want to reach that success level like CBS with Star Trek. That we could have 2-3 SG spinoffs for every year. I am dreaming again...
                    Then there's nothing else to but for MGM to sell the franchise to CBS.

The SG:C looks dead again. Almost zero fan activity. Meh.
                    Was it ever alive?

Though, I find that not going there every day or skipping a week, helps with not seeing that there's almost no activity. And hey, I answered one of your quiz questions.

Comment

Stargate Origins Season 2? Everything We Know So Far
                      https://www.gateworld.net/news/2019/...wed-cancelled/
                      So they also don't know anything new, but they have written a new summary article which was slightly reflecting more to the events from 2018.

Well... They should really sell the brand if they don't want to do anything with it or find someone who would invest money... We will see what happened at the con in Los Angeles in March.

Comment

That entire article is speculation at best -- and wildly speculative at that.

Just a lot of words to say "we don't know anything", better anyway than "we're working on it", but all the same. Nothing new.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          If you want your audience engaged and not fleeting, make sure the period of no episodes is as short as possible. Bingewatch series have a momentary surge and then... nothing.
                          Agreed.

But I think that if something was ever to come out the SG:C oven, it would be either A) Online streaming or B) Netflix or Prime or whatever else comes next, which means bingewatch is inevitable. Pretty sure they make it a sine qua non condition.

To be perfectly honest, 1/ week episodes are getting scarce and my Unas precognitive abilities tell me this will eventually die off, just like regular TV all together. ETA: 15-20 years tops.
                          Spoiler:
                          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                            Agreed.

But I think that if something was ever to come out the SG:C oven, it would be either A) Online streaming or B) Netflix or Prime or whatever else comes next, which means bingewatch is inevitable. Pretty sure they make it a sine qua non condition.

To be perfectly honest, 1/ week episodes are getting scarce and my Unas precognitive abilities tell me this will eventually die off, just like regular TV all together. ETA: 15-20 years tops.
                            1 episode per week is not really getting that scarce. Even Netflix is still doing that regularly. The problem is still there, as it has always been there even with 1 episode a week. New episodes are shown on TV every week, and then for the rest of the year you'll have to wait for the next season.

Since most shows have less than the traditional +/- 20 episodes per season, that means the season is over much quicker. There have been countless shows that I've lost interest in simply because I had to wait that long. If you can watch all episodes in one day, then you have to wait even longer, and you're in a buzz of having seen so much in so little time. That buzz wears down very quickly.

Not to mention that binge-watching has a very different effect on how you enjoy a series, compared to watching one episode a week. Which means that it also changes how the show is written. Some shows simply don't work well with binge-watching, especially if they are episodic (such as CSI, The A-Team, etc.) Even Stargate and Star Trek can become tedious when you watch so many episodes in a row. Serialized shows such as Game of Thrones work better, since each episode continues from the previous one.

"Regular" TV also likely won't die. Traditional TV, that is through cable with different channels, probably will. Here in the Netherlands traditional cable/digital TV subscriptions are getting rarer (I won't get one when I leave my parent's house, internet is more than enough), and analog TV is already gone. But that doesn't mean people will stop watching the traditional channels. Streaming is the future, that's how I feel, and many things will change. But the format for TV shows likely won't, other some adaptation for streaming. Traditional "seasons" will probably go away, since streaming allows for more flexibility. Perhaps they can produce episodes continuously or in smaller batches to spread them out over the year. Netflix is doing that with some of their shorter Originals.

Comment

2 days left to enter video. Saw this on Twitter from StargateCommand

Comment

Originally posted by ScifigirlSG View Post
                                2 days left to enter video. Saw this on Twitter from StargateCommand
                                Already giving my vote to NickEast and Platschu, if there's a vote. If not, my vote still goes to those two. At least, they are the kind of "superfans" who would take all fans into account and not just themselves. True members of a real fan community -- ours.

If I'm wrong, you two will have hell to pay... just saying...

No, just kidding... sort of.

Comment

Working...
                                X