No announcement yet.

MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

‘I’m surprised you want to talk to me since you seem in your latest effort to be trying to avoid Stargate SG-1 canon, anything that I had contributed.'
    This made me smile. So at least we aren't the only ones who felt that way, and Brad is pretty important, especially if he's involved again.

Comment

Business is business. This franchise can't survive without his heritage. We will see what will happen. Honestly. I would be happy even for a tiny little SG movie if it written by him and it is in-canon, so the fans could move things forward if a mini series or full season can be ordered. But the first step still would be to extend the service here after this catastrophical PR era. They managed to hurt many foreign fans, so they really have to show something fresh and original SG material to convince them to return and to pay for it.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
        I am sure they have heard about the success of Star Trek : Discovery as more and more people pay for CBS All-Access only to watch that program. So I am guessing MGM realized that they have jumped into this "digital era" without further planning.
        Hate to break it to you, but the success of Star Trek: Discovery is that it is immediately available worldwide on Netflix. Today on CBS: All-access, which granted the US audience has to subscribe to in order to see it first, but the worldwide audience, without a doubt, far surpasses the US audience the next day when it's available on Netflix everywhere (except where Netflix isn't available), and that includes Belgium.

MGM squandered their chances of me as a customer. I've gone to the competition with my money and I ain't coming back for some lame webseries (I kinda liked Origins, mind you, for what it is) that is restricted and then they expect everyone else to pay top dollar for a digital download.

I'm not interested in digital downloads -- music I digitally download from iTunes but not series and films. (And if possibly I'd like to actually own a physical copy too -- see my recent order of the actual soundtrack on disc of Doctor Who series 11 and it's the exactly the same as the iTunes version -- I paid twice for the same thing).
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I pay an extra fee solely to have AMC channel for TWD. How many paid for HBO (got / Westworld).

Why not both? TV and online simultaneously?
          Spoiler:
          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I understand your point. Here is a BSG quote which fits here : "Let a complex system repeat itself long enough and eventually something surprising might occur. That too is in God's plan."

Who knows? Maybe BW managed to get a Netflix deal for Stargate too. We don't know what is going on behind the closed doors. I believe his envolvement is a good sign in the future of Stargate.

What was strange that they are looking for superfans then to have weekly (!) conference call about the "state of the gate". So they must plan something, because then what would they talk about? How much they are working on the extension?!

B: - So when will we announce the extension?
            A: - Tell them, we are workin' on it.
            B: - But that is what we lied last time, too.
            A: - They won't know the difference. Audience loves "working on it" likes "weapons at maximum".
            B: - Frell.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Who knows? Maybe BW managed to get a Netflix deal for Stargate too. We don't know what is going on behind the closed doors. I believe his envolvement is a good sign in the future of Stargate.
              Except that Brad is not in charge here, and MGM has a contract with HBO-what's-it-called-digital-streaming-service... HULU (she suddenly remembers)... see The Handmaid's Tale (made in coop with Hulu)

Wait, Hulu is from HBO, right?

Anyway... Brad may be approached by MGM, but he's not in charge of anything. They are.

Look at Devlin & Emmerich -- creative differences lead to the cancellation of more original Stargate. The succes of that project not guaranteed but differences were big enough for both parties to walk away from the idea.

What was strange that they are looking for superfans then to have weekly (!) conference call about the "state of the gate". So they must plan something, because then what would they talk about? How much they are working on the extension?!
              Do you remember that competition for US-based fans to win a set visit to Origins?

Did you read a report? Was there ever a winner announced? This person would have had a story to tell to their fellow fans, wouldn't they?

But nothing happened, not a peep... nobody knows what became of that competition. If it ever came to fruitation or whether someone won. Just a whole load of silence which in this case, I find very suspicious.

Let's be real about that extension -- that's not happening. The only reason they pretend to work on it, everyone who isn't elligible will continue to follow them up onto a point because our patience has limits.

They burned those bridges -- their communication is appaling. And they have lost all respect, both as fans and as SGC people.

B: - So when will we announce the extension?
              A: - Tell them, we are workin' on it.
              B: - But that is what we lied last time, too.
              A: - They won't know the difference. Audience loves "working on it" likes "weapons at maximum".
              B: - Frell.
              Might have been funny a long time ago -- and it was for a while -- but not anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                Except that Brad is not in charge here, and MGM has a contract with HBO-what's-it-called-digital-streaming-service... HULU (she suddenly remembers)... see The Handmaid's Tale (made in coop with Hulu)

Wait, Hulu is from HBO, right?
                Hulu is jointly owned by several companies. If Disney finalizes its takeover of Fox, then Disney owns a majority stake. When Disney+ comes out, they intend to put all R-rated stuff on Hulu, and all the "child-friendly" Disney material on Disney+.

HBO has... HBO. It's all one thing. HBO has traditional television channels, and a streaming service.

Comment

Originally posted by nivao View Post
                  Hulu is jointly owned by several companies. If Disney finalizes its takeover of Fox, then Disney owns a majority stake. When Disney+ comes out, they intend to put all R-rated stuff on Hulu, and all the "child-friendly" Disney material on Disney+.

HBO has... HBO. It's all one thing. HBO has traditional television channels, and a streaming service.
                  Right, I know I was mixing up my H's.

Anyhow... perhaps Disney+ should take a good long look at DC Universe and not make the same mistakes, cause I read an article recently that the DCU app is not considered a succesful venture.

For the record, DCU is available only in the US and made by a familiar company -- TopFan.

Comment

This made me smile. So at least we aren't the only ones who felt that way, and Brad is pretty important, especially if he's involved again.
                    Same reaction here too.
                    ''If you want me to be involved, you won't ignore the canon or me like you did with SG:O''

It doesn't come off as a surprise to me since I suspect Travelers won't get its 4th season (if you have see the finale you'd understand). Would that mean BW is free for more sci-fi, more SG? It may just well be so.

@Platschu love the Children of the Gods reference, this is the perfect analogy

Perhaps, but I'd say Brad has enough experience under his belt and wouldn't get in a project without having full creative freedom. Clearly if he smacks it in their face on the first opportunity he means business, wouldn't you agree?
                    Spoiler:
                    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                      Perhaps, but I'd say Brad has enough experience under his belt and wouldn't get in a project without having full creative freedom. Clearly if he smacks it in their face on the first opportunity he means business, wouldn't you agree?
                      It's not Brad I'm concerned about, it's MGM.

Brad truly has the best interests in mind, I'm sure. MGM, on the other hand, I'm not so sure about and they are ultimately the ones who have to approve the idea(s) or who do the whole money-side of the deal.

MGM owns the franchise -- Brad's a guest.

Comment

It's not Brad I'm concerned about, it's MGM.

Brad truly has the best interests in mind, I'm sure. MGM, on the other hand, I'm not so sure about and they are ultimately the ones who have to approve the idea(s) or who do the whole money-side of the deal.

MGM owns the franchise -- Brad's a guest.
                        I totally get that, but the way I see it, MGM owns the car but Brad is the driver. Obviously if they reached out to him, it means that he's in a good bargaining position. Even if MGM has to approve, just think about it, if they start refusing Brad's agenda and make changes on a whim, he's gonna bail out and they will be left with nothing.

MGM probably realized with Origins that there is potential for good business with the franchise, but need to be very careful as to the canon and access, which already alienated a bunch of international fans. I don't think they are beyond redemption though, if they do it right. It indeed is a critical moment for the future of SG.

Brad also says it won't be a series, which leaves us with:
                        A) a movie B) short episodes / webisodes à la Origins C) nothing

Webseries are extras that should pair a show to give the most astute fans extra material since your casual viewer won't really care. So I hope they don't go with B.
                        Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                          Webseries are extras that should pair a show to give the most astute fans extra material since your casual viewer won't really care. So I hope they don't go with B.
                          The casual viewer would never know there was a webserie because they'll put that on the app, and only "fans" in 6 countries have access so basically -- in that case -- stargate still remains dead and buried for the other 189 countries on the planet.

Fans in quotations because casual viewers don't sign up for a streaming service that doesn't stream anything else.

With regards to picking up subscribers -- here's an article about the DC Univserse app (build by TopFan): DC Universe Streaming Service Struggling To Pick Up Subscribers (granted this is only available in the US -- thereby acknowledging that one market is simply not going to cut it in the grand scheme of things)

Comment

Dead and buried is putting it mildly. My internet provider blocks streaming services because I don't have a cable tv subscription.

Comment

Originally posted by ScifigirlSG View Post
                              Dead and buried is putting it mildly. My internet provider blocks streaming services because I don't have a cable tv subscription.
                              What? As in, you cannot watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, anything? Through the apps on mobile or computer, or the websites? That's... strange. I don't know where you live, but where I come from that's as illegal as me uploading or downloading torrents.

Comment

What? As in, you cannot watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, anything? Through the apps on mobile or computer, or the websites? That's... strange. I don't know where you live, but where I come from that's as illegal as me uploading or downloading torrents.
                                Probably a (direct) consequence of no net neutrality in which case providers such as Comcast and Verizon control what their clients can and cannot see, for example.

Comment

Working...
                                X