MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
    Ironically, I wanted to make some fan-art where the logo blended into the Stargate, much like what happens in some movies with 20th Century Fox, Universal, and Warner Bros. where they change to fit some kind of theme or mood (like the Universal Earth freezing over in The Day After Tomorrow).
    Please, please make it. : begging look : I would be so happy with a simple picture, it doesn't have to be a video or a gif.

I loved the UNIVERSAL and DreamWorks logos when they made an unique logos for their movies.

I'm very surprised to see how much faith people seem to be having in MGM, even to the point where they think it can go against Disney.
    I just want this long agony to be ended. We patiently waited, but it is not a surprise that the fandom moved on.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I'm very surprised to see how much faith people seem to be having in MGM, even to the point where they think it can go against Disney.
      -- when an elephant takes flight, I imagine.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Oh no, not Amazon Amazon eyes MGM as race for streaming domination heats up (msn.com)

Comment

Streaming domination... it'll just collapse on its own in the end.

Comment

Just a side note. Warner (AT) merged with Discovery so the whole streaming market restructured. Disney+, Netflix, Apple, Peacock and Amazon are still the biggest players, but I am sure the Disney+ will be dominant at the end as there will always be children so even if the youngest generation will grow up then there will be an even newer generation.

I am not so sure if we should be happy or not with the Amazon whetherbour beloved scifi franchise will have a safe, propering and settled home for the next few years.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
              Just a side note. Warner (AT) merged with Discovery so the whole streaming market restructured. Disney+, Netflix, Apple, Peacock and Amazon are still the biggest players...
              Errm... Netflix is the biggest, followed by Disney+ ... and then the rest.

Netflix offers the most versatile library and is available in every country on the planet, bar one --> North Korea. The libraries aren't the same everywhere due to restrictions on viewing licenses -- for example Stargate 1994 is available in the US but not anywhere else.

Disney+ only has their own library plus what Starz has to offer, and according to friends it's not really worth the price.

Amazon Prime is not just a streaming service as there's also their delivery service.

Peacock is limited to the US and Apple TV apparently hasn't found its audience yet, even though they have contracts with quite the talented people to provide them with content.

Comment

Thanks for the summary. I was talking about the future. Disney+ is so rapidly expanding. They reached 100 million subscribers in 2021 March. Here is a summary how they gained 5-10 million new subscriber every single month:
                ​​​​​​https://backlinko.com/disney-users
                And it is not a surprise as the Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar and all the other contents will bring more and more audience. Money makes more money. And actually they are really good at keeping up the hype and give the subscribers what they want. I am sure they will buy other streaming platforms if they need to do it in the next 5 years, but they look like the future winner of this streaming war.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                  And it is not a surprise as the Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar and all the other contents will bring more and more audience.
                  I watch those new Star Wars shows and I have no Disney+ account.

That's the main issue with streaming services and why I don't think they are the future if they stay fractured.

Comment

Disney has just over a 150 million subscribers between Disney+, ESPN+, and Hulu, which subscribers can purchase individually or bundle together. Hulu is currently only available in the United States, but it has a diverse lineup of programming from the major broadcast networks and Disney has talked about launching it internationally in the past. It's unclear if they will follow through on that as they haven't done much with it since taking a majority stake in the platform. However, they've been preoccupied with the launch of Disney+ and they won't gain full ownership of Hulu until 2024, so they may be intentionally holding off on their previously stated plans for expansion.

In any case, Disney is very much on track to go to head-to-head with Netflix's 208 million subscribers in the near future. They also have several advantages over Netflix that will help them in the long run. One is the live content provided by ESPN+ and Hulu, which already makes a bundle package a worthwhile buy for some U.S. viewers. The other is their extensive library, which includes everything produced by Disney, ABC, Fox, FX, and 20th Century. Netflix has far more to offer international consumers at the moment, but the consolidation of content that's being driven by the streaming wars is already causing them problems.

Netflix previously lost a fair amount of popular programming to the launch of Disney+ and Peacock, and Universal is currently debating whether to end its contracts with Netflix in favor of releasing their content exclusively on HBO Max, which previously siphoned content from Netflix as well. To make up for not being able to stream "The Office" and "Friends" any longer (these were among their most watched offerings), they made a $500 million deal to snag the rights to stream Seinfeld, and they knew they'd lose contracts to competitors, so they planned ahead and made a big push to produce original programming. While that original content is popular, they've poured money into it at the expensive of trying to gobble up existing studios as Disney did and as Amazon is currently looking to do, so they don't have access to a wealth of content that goes back decades.

If they don't work to change that, they're going to have more problems in the future as their competitors make more existing content exclusive to their platforms and work to expand internationally. Presently, various international Netflix subscribers have access to a wealth of content that U.S. subscribers don't like "24," "Modern Family," "The Big Bang Theory," etc. However, as the owners of those shows/movies expand access to their own streaming services to international markets, they're likely to let many of those contracts expire as well.

At some point, competing streaming services are going to need to team up and offer bundle access to their various platforms, but things are going to fracture further before that happens.

Comment

Whatever the case, international viewers will get the short end of the stick and we sure as hell know it... that's why I seriously doubt illegal downloading will ever seize to exist.

Comment

Deal Done — Amazon To Buy MGM For $8.45 Billion

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

It's official Amazon Buys MGM, Studio Behind James Bond, for $8.45 Billion (msn.com)

Comment

Seems it still needs to be vetted by the shareholders... this merger.

Don't expect much in the coming months. They haven't even figured out who's going to be on the board.

Comment

Recent news casting some light into Amazon Studios' reorganisation (at Deadline, 11.10.2021), paraphrased here and there, which may help in picking apart what the plans may be —

COO Albert Cheng is no longer Co-Head of Television, and Vernon Sanders was promoted from Co-Head of Television to Head of U.S./Global Television. This was announced by Jennifer Salke, Head of Amazon Studios.

Ms. Salke wrote of Amazon Studios' commitment to being an 'inclusive home for talent,' and of a planned expansion to Europe, Africa, and South-East Asia.
                              The previous distribution of responsibilities had Mr. Cheng take care of business, and Mr. Vernon Sanders had creative duties.

Ms. Salke:

“Albert [Cheng]’s top priority will be our business strategy — including our expansion in operations globally, and our investment in Amazon-owned IP, in particular working closely with Mike Hopkins and the Leadership team on the planned MGM integration.”
                              "...the team is now hard at work on a 2022 slate of 60+ Original series, up from 39 currently ..."
                              — in which LOTR is given specific attention.

I can infer some hope of any possible noises of interest starting next year, if 2022 is the target year of releases, but that does not say anything about what shows will have been green-lit.

Ms. Salke, again:
                              "... nothing wonderful is ever achieved alone."
                              I don't know how to interpret this, but maybe somene can help translate from corporate.

And that's it. The article drops lots of other people's names, but these appear like executives-as-managers.

The table visualises who reports to whom in column format: Mr. Sanders has three reports, Mr. Resteghini four, and Ms. Lancaster and Mr. Pepper two each —
                              Vernon Sanders
                              Marc Resteghini
                              (series dev)
                              Laura Lancaster
                              (current U.S. series)
                              Nick Pepper
                              (long description)
                              Kara Smith
                              (drama dev)
                              Odetta Watkins
                              (drama)
                              Amanda Greenblatt
                              (first look & overall)
                              John Wax
                              (genre dev)
                              Tom Lieber
                              (genre)
                              Lauren O'Connor
                              (IP and literary)
                              Chris Castallo
                              (reality dev)
                              Ryan Andolina
                              (comedy dev)
                              The structure of who does what looks like a patchwork quilt, and it would be anyone's guess as to which pitch would be lucky with which type of head... Unless that entire roster works as a competent team.

The issue here is, that only one type of show was assigned to only one person, which structure would potentially be difficult to navigate, if a Stargate show happened to be genre drama, as was the case with SGU.

If we're to take past Stargate series, then SG-1 was 'genre', SGA was both 'genre' + 'comedy', and SGU was genre drama.

Since I'd like a continuation of SGU, then my logic has it, that any new iteration of SGU would be best-matched with a person responsible for drama.
                              Last edited by Mardus; 31 October 2021, 10:19 AM. Reason: Small edits wrt punctuation
                              • I'm a fan of this awesome Trek webcomic: betafleet.tumblr.com (archived)
                              • Eesti on ilus, ja troppide parteide poliitikud pole enam Raudse Leedi valitsuses.
                              • I chose the Gate avatar, because it was difficult to choose between SGU character pictures of someone who I thought I was like, and someone who I was fond of. :>

Comment

That's all very nice, but Amazon is currently under investigation and so is the merger.

2022 will not be the year of new Stargate.

Comment

Working...
                                X