MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    They certainly seem to have the intention to make Stargate Origins available worldwide -- though I'm unsure their definition of "worldwide" and mine align (I'm fairly certain it doesn't). They claim it will be available in 12 different languages (subtitles I suspect) -- this was a tweet in reply to someone a week or two/three ago.
    So much time has lapsed, a lot of people don't need subtitles and already pirated Origins and moved on.

Subtitling Origins is not enough, because it does not correct for the rest of the content kept under lock and key, such as the interviews, mission files, and behind-the-scenes stuff. Without access to everything, the fandom will still be divided.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithTech View Post
      So much time has lapsed, a lot of people don't need subtitles and already pirated Origins and moved on.
      I haven't pirated Origins, but their latest move might change that... if I can find it, I'll watch it and I'm not paying one euro cent for it either.

Subtitling Origins is not enough, because it does not correct for the rest of the content kept under lock and key, such as the interviews, mission files, and behind-the-scenes stuff. Without access to everything, the fandom will still be divided.
      Indeed. Very true.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by nivao View Post
        **Snip**

It's an EU law that wherever we travel in the EU
        I don't want to single out parts of your posts, just shortening it for your ease of read . Before we continue, I would like to get some facts straight.

Nivao, it seems like you have a misconception of what the EU is. The EU is an economic union not a federation. Each countries are free to administrate their own laws as they please. The whole point of the EU is to remove economic barriers, such as border tariffs and such, to facilitate and grow economy to the benefit of all it's members.

It has absolutely nothing to do with online streaming regulations. To each countries their own.

You'd have to sacrifice a virgin or two to make it happen.

Why were the first 20 minutes free for streaming worldwide?
        Why are the weekly episodes on youtube free worldwide?
        No idea, seems illogical to me too.

That being said, I think it wasn't a bright move from the management, and the reasoning behind this is unknown to us. Dividing the fan base could have repercussions in the future. Could it be a legal issue? Maybe. Could it be a money issue? Perhaps. Could it be an arbitrary decision of preventing you folks from certain countries to watch their content, because they are malevolent beings and want to see your kind burn to ashes and bow before your God? I don't think so /drama off
        Spoiler:
        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
          I don't want to single out parts of your posts, just shortening it for your ease of read . Before we continue, I would like to get some facts straight.

Nivao, it seems like you have a misconception of what the EU is. The EU is an economic union not a federation. Each countries are free to administrate their own laws as they please. The whole point of the EU is to remove economic barriers, such as border tariffs and such, to facilitate and grow economy to the benefit of all it's members.

It has absolutely nothing to do with online streaming regulations. To each countries their own.
          I'm sorry, but you're wrong. In fact, the EU actually is a confederation, and slowly transitions to a federation. It's predecessor, the EEC, was purely an economic union. There are many, many laws that the EU established and must be followed by every member state. As a Dutchman, I've felt it even more, considering the EU passed a law a few months ago that bans Dutch fishermen from using a type of new technology for fishing, because the French were against it, seeing as it gave us an advantage.

As for the streaming law: https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/01/...-takes-effect/
          And straight from the horse's mouth: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/e...iptions-abroad

And the EU is also planning to pass a law that would "encourage" Netflix among others to produce more European content: https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/26/...opean-content/

Comment

Nivao, it seems like you have a misconception of what the EU is. The EU is an economic union not a federation.
            It seems you're the one with a misconception.

Oh, and by the way, EU stands for European Union.

That being said, I think it wasn't a bright move from the management, and the reasoning behind this is unknown to us. Dividing the fan base could have repercussions in the future. Could it be a legal issue? Maybe. Could it be a money issue? Perhaps. Could it be an arbitrary decision of preventing you folks from certain countries to watch their content, because they are malevolent beings and want to see your kind burn to ashes and bow before your God? I don't think so /drama off
            Oh boy... There are a few choice words I have floating around my brain right now that would give the moderators of this board a field day, so I'm going to put you on ignore instead. How about that?

Comment

Come on, guys, let it be peace. It is so sad to see such things.

What I wanted to say, you can hate the MGM as much as you like, but not the franchise, please. The SG shows have got nothing to do how the leadership of MGM handles the SG:C platform. And who knows? Maybe they will change their opinion. Miracles do happen.
              Last edited by Platschu; 10 May 2018, 10:15 PM.
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                Come on, guys, let it be peace. It is so sad to see such things.
                I believe we call this the great divide between the have's and the have-not's.

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                What I wanted to say, you can hate the MGM as much as you like, but not the franchise, please. The SG shows have got nothing to do how the leadership of MGM handles the SG:C platform. And who knows? Maybe they will change their opinion. Miracles do happen.
                Hate MGM -- no, I simply don't have any intention to go out of my way to support them as a (potential) customer by buying their stuff (or watching their shows).

The Stargate franchise is frakked with MGM leading it into a deep, dark, dank hole of oblivion.

And Stargate Command, and almost every all-access member made sure I do not feel welcome in the stargate community any longer. Therefor, I can't help but associate stargate with less than happy feelings.

I don't believe in miracles, especially when it comes to TV series. I've seen plenty campaigns fail in that area, and changing opinions -- when are fans going to learn that they have little to no influence on what bigwigs think or do. It's all about the money.

Comment

I believe we call this the great divide between the have's and the have-not's.
                  You are at a bigger disadvantage in that your residence is a smaller excluded country. Excluded people from the larger countries have uploaded Origins everywhere, months ago, in links in their mother tongues, including full 1080p quality and in the original English. Beyond fandom, international politics and pride are factors: world nations are not going to bow to North American entities or to be made to feel like 2nd class citizens in any way. Media studios, all of them, not just MGM, need to face up to modern internet reality.

Comment

You are at a bigger disadvantage in that your residence is a smaller excluded country.
                    With the added bonus that the rest of the world doesn't know where we are situated or that we even exist.

Did you know there's a town called Belgium in the US?

Comment

It seems you're the one with a misconception.
                      My apologies, I stand corrected, both you and Nivao are right.

Oh boy... There are a few choice words I have floating around my brain right now that would give the moderators of this board a field day, so I'm going to put you on ignore instead. How about that?
                      Nivao corrected me and I apologized for my misinformed statement. I am able to accept criticism when faced with facts and correct information.

One thing I won't do is have a discussion with an individual that express childish behavior such as name calling / ignore when faced with a contradicting opinion. Clear signs you've become way too emotionally involved in this, as proven by your misplaced negativity towards the franchise.

I'll see myself out, vent your frustration on somebody else.
                      Spoiler:
                      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Chaka-Z0, I think the phrase “drama off” might have caused some upset. At least, for me as a bystander seeing the phrase, I didn't understand it and tried to find the colloquialism in the urban dictionary and couldn't. Most English words followed with the word “off” tend to show unfriendly dismissals, but the tone of the rest of the post to FH seemed to indicate humor, sharing laughs about FH’s quip, so I hoped the phrase was a typo, that maybe it was part of a sentence that got cut off, or the phrase meant something I don't yet understand in my region. I hope if there is a misunderstanding it can be smoothed over.

Comment

It can be smoothed over... I just have to cool off and I'd rather not say something or do something I'll regret later.

Trust me -- I know myself.

Comment

Chaka-Z0, I think the phrase “drama off” might have caused some upset. At least, for me as a bystander seeing the phrase, I didn't understand it and tried to find the colloquialism in the urban dictionary and couldn't. Most English words followed with the word “off” tend to show unfriendly dismissals, but the tone of the rest of the post to FH seemed to indicate humor, sharing laughs about FH’s quip, so I hoped the phrase was a typo, that maybe it was part of a sentence that got cut off, or the phrase meant something I don't yet understand in my region. I hope if there is a misunderstanding it can be smoothed over.
                            It wasn't meant at all as an ''unfriendly dismissal''. Was trying to joke about something that a Goa'uld would say, which I obviously failed to do.
                            Spoiler:

Comment

It wasn't meant at all as an ''unfriendly dismissal''. Was trying to joke about something that a Goa'uld would say, which I obviously failed to do.
                              Ah! No wonder I didn't find the phrase. The urban dictionary wouldn't have much Goa'uld in it-- though maybe it should! Sorry, I didn't catch the Goa'uld because I haven't seen SG1 in a while. I assumed the phrase was newer slang, because of the verbing revival in a previous post ("do you even VPN").

Comment

I should perhaps mention that as an autistic person, I find it hard to distinguish between jokes and not jokes.

Also, hard to convey emotion through the typed word.

My apologies for the "drama".

Comment

Working...
                                X