No announcement yet.

MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The extension is a mixed result: positive for the above-mentioned reasons and hopes for more prequels, but negative because most of the world is still locked out and the fandom is still split.

Edit: adding link to GW news article: https://www.gateworld.net/news/2018/...cess-extended/
    Last edited by WraithTech; 09 May 2018, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithTech View Post
      All Access was extended through Sept 19th. Pilot script available beginning May 11th. Feature cut release date "coming soon."

So, for the rest of the world, everything Origins is looks to be still under lock and key for another 4 months.
      They can stick it where the sun doesn't shine. I'm out.

Gonna ask them to delete my account tonight. Gonna remove every trace of that damn place from my browser and never want to hear from their employers again.

No more dangling. No more empty promises. MGM failed their fans! (if you feel rejoiced don't tell me how cool this is because I'll block your butt here and everywhere -- go suck a lemon!)
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

That is the only right thing to do fFalcon

They call it a great success and thank the fans all around the world for their support, which means there is no reason for them not to keep heading into that direction with anything that comes after Origins.

To me the franchise is dead, and what remains is memories of its old glory and rewatching SG1 and SGA

Comment

I'm just so freaking disappointed right now... I should have seen it coming from a mile away that this was going to be the endresult. I hate myself for falling for it, even only half. A part of me knew but I silenced that part.

I hate stargate, right now. This franchise just doesn't cut it, and not for the lack of people trying to keep it alive, but for MGM to mess around with it.

Comment

*hugs Falcon*

That sadly is often the cause of death to great things, that people who have the rights in their hands make a mess of it

Comment

I still don't get it. Must be a legal issue of some kind because no business man in his right mind would choose not make it available in a country that is a potential market / revenues.

Also this is not a standard business, their product is digital, which means there is no need for facilities, employees etc. oversea that could incur costs (except the licenses of course).

Did we get any official statement other than *we are working on it* ?
              Spoiler:
              I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                I still don't get it. Must be a legal issue of some kind because no business man in his right mind would choose not make it available in a country that is a potential market / revenues.

Also this is not a standard business, their product is digital, which means there is no need for facilities, employees etc. oversea that could incur costs (except the licenses of course).

Did we get any official statement other than *we are working on it* ?
                There shouldn't be an issue. Not as far as I have seen. Besides, we have Netflix and all worldwide so why can they do it and not a much smaller cheaper thing like this, considering all the rights are already there (we can still buy the DVDs here). On top of that, it's quickly becoming law, especially in the EU, that everything has to be available to everyone and that it's illegal to block anyone (that's basically geographical discrimination... I like that term ).

I'll never ever hate Stargate. I'll always love SG-1 and Atlantis, and perhaps even grow to like SGU at some point. But if this is the way they're going, they're not going to get another dime from me, and I'd rather see Stargate stay dead (because then at least no-one can get disappointed either because the new show(s) is/are bad or due to geoblocking).

I think it's time to start open sourcing copyright. I mean, software can be open source so anyone can change and use it, why not copyright? (I know the Public Domain serves that purpose, but I just like the sound of Open Source Television )

Comment

All Access was extended through Sept 19th. Pilot script available beginning May 11th. Feature cut release date "coming soon."

So, for the rest of the world, everything Origins is looks to be still under lock and key for another 4 months.
                  While i haven't watched Origins yet (but i've read about how it turned out) or got the All Access myself, the extension of it sounds like a good thing to me. It indicates that so far the whole thing has been worthwhile for them, otherwise i expect they'd have just let it end as initially planned. Despite the quality issues of Origins and the site itself that i've read about, that gives me some hope for more Stargate.

Comment

Originally posted by nivao View Post
                    There shouldn't be an issue.
                    Every country has it's own regulations in regards to digital media diffused in their territory. For instance, some online US content cannot be viewed even here in Canada.

Besides, we have Netflix and all worldwide so why can they do it
                    Apples and oranges my friend, you're talking about one of the biggest corporation of the entertainment industry. MGM was on the verge of bankruptcy.

and perhaps even grow to like SGU at some point
                    Glad to hear that! There's still hope

I'd rather see Stargate stay dead
                    Heresy

I think it's time to start open sourcing copyright.
                    Never going to happen.

---

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending their position. My guess is that the producers probably had a midget-sized budget to work with, figured that all the procedures to gain access in certain countries were too complicated / costly and simply gave up.

As insulting as this is for some viewers that are unable to have access, this just might be the pre-cursor of a brand new SG series or movie. I might be a hopeless optimist, but we have never been that close to a revival since SGU was cancelled.

Pray to the Ori or to your favorite Goa'uld God and keep your hopes up!
                    Last edited by Chaka-Z0; 09 May 2018, 10:18 AM.
                    Spoiler:
                    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      I'm just so freaking disappointed right now... I should have seen it coming from a mile away that this was going to be the endresult. I hate myself for falling for it, even only half. A part of me knew but I silenced that part.

I hate stargate, right now. This franchise just doesn't cut it, and not for the lack of people trying to keep it alive, but for MGM to mess around with it.
                      Why are you assuming that the decision is based on some sort of malicious reason? Different streaming services have different offerings and availability in different locations for all sorts of reasons. It would be absurd for them to just go "We don't want to" in locations where Stargate was popular, like France. We have no idea what legal, technical or other licensing deals there are already in place that would affect the availability.

There shouldn't be an issue. Not as far as I have seen. Besides, we have Netflix and all worldwide so why can they do it and not a much smaller cheaper thing like this, considering all the rights are already there (we can still buy the DVDs here). On top of that, it's quickly becoming law, especially in the EU, that everything has to be available to everyone and that it's illegal to block anyone (that's basically geographical discrimination... I like that term ).

I'll never ever hate Stargate. I'll always love SG-1 and Atlantis, and perhaps even grow to like SGU at some point. But if this is the way they're going, they're not going to get another dime from me, and I'd rather see Stargate stay dead (because then at least no-one can get disappointed either because the new show(s) is/are bad or due to geoblocking).
                      While Netflix itself as a streaming service available Worldwide, you're missing that they are not the same everywhere. The content that's available varies depending on where it is in the world. For example the UK Netflix here has quite substantially different content available from than from what I've seen that's on the US version, with newer, bigger movies being available on the US version. Even with something like Amazon prime the content available differs greatly between the US and UK versions.

There are all sorts of reasons why this service could not be available in certain locations. I don't think it's a good idea to just go straight to "They don't care!" when there's no indication that's actually the reason.

Comment

It's 2018. The entire world is connected through the internet (barring a few remote areas, but even Antarctica has internet access). There shouldn't be any legal or financial issue to release something in more than six countries. Why? Because for each country they add, they get more money.

Again, I'm asking, why Germany and the UK and not any of the surrounding countries? Same laws, especially with regards to internet access. That MGM was almost bankrupt is not an excuse. It's a reason to expose it to as much people as possible, to get as much money as possible.

And finally, the punchline that I've also been mentioning quite frequently: why oh why can they release the first three episodes of Stargate Origins for free, worldwide? They're not making a profit that way, so it logically can't be about money. If they had us pay for it, they could make quite a lot of money. And if those episodes are available, then it also can't be for legal reasons (after all, MGM owns Stargate 100%, especially Origins as it was made entirely in-house with no other publishers/stations). If it's because they can't make the original three series available because of distribution rights (somewhat understandable though still strange), then why not make a cheaper Origins Pass? Again, that means more money for MGM.

All these things add up, not to mention the continued "we're working on it" response, if they respond at all. It's not hard, or expensive, to actually take the time to write up a properly detailed response as to why or why not we can't have All Access, especially after these couple of months. A couple of big companies do that all the time. It's not necessarily the issue that we don't have access, it's that SGC/MGM appears to not care. That's what stings, and what is starting to feel like a stab in the back after All-Access was expanded.

I know the Origins "movie" will be released "globally" in the Summer, but there are many definitions for "global" in the media world and we're not getting any clarification.

The reason why I prefer Stargate to stay dead (or in stasis, sounds nicer like "shelved indefinitely" as opposed to "canceled") is because if MGM keeps up with this "inverted profit" thing, then the next full series, which will be much more expensive, will also be geo-locked. And we run the risk of another SGU/Origins, dividing the fanbase even more (if that's even possible after this whole debacle).

Originally posted by TheVoidDragon;14623478While Netflix itself as a streaming service available Worldwide, you're missing that they are [I
                        not[/I] the same everywhere. The content that's available varies depending on where it is in the world. For example the UK Netflix here has quite substantially different content available from than from what I've seen that's on the US version, with newer, bigger movies being available on the US version. Even with something like Amazon prime the content available differs greatly between the US and UK versions.

There are all sorts of reasons why this service could not be available in certain locations. I don't think it's a good idea to just go straight to "They don't care!" when there's no indication that's actually the reason.
                        It's an EU law that wherever we travel in the EU, the Netflix catalog should be the same (this applies to all streaming services, not just Netflix). So as I live in the Netherlands (and we indeed have a different catalog), it should be the same no matter where we go in the EU. For someone who lives in Germany the catalog is different, but their catalog should be the same wherever they go. Technically, that also means that Germans should have access to SGC All-Access wherever they go, despite the fact that the app uses the GPS to check whether you're in Germany (since I don't have access, I can't check).

They're also looking to make all streaming services equal so that every EU citizen, no matter where they live or where they travel to, will have access to the same catalogs (this is independent from Netflix's attempts to make their catalog equal worldwide).
                        Last edited by NickEast; 09 May 2018, 11:54 AM.

Comment

When I hear the word "geo-lock", it always reminds me to the Earth2 series.

I believe this extension is a good news. If they would have closed down SG:C then it would be obvious that the franchise is dead. Now they still leave fans amongst worries, but at least there is a small hope that something will be announced.

By the way I completly agree with FH's angry statement. I really don't understand the logic behind the decisions. Are they worried that the servers / their messy "forum" won't cope with the fans worldwide? If there would be just 1 million paying fan that 20 million dollars would be still enough just for a higher budgeted SG tv movie. As we discussed many times only quality and fresh new ideas will bring new viewers, so I hope they can give enough money for Brad Wright to make at least a pilot movie for a 4th series. Then they could see if fans are willing to pay for more or not.
                          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

^ This.

Apples and oranges my friend, you're talking about one of the biggest corporation of the entertainment industry. MGM was on the verge of bankruptcy.
                            The difference, Netflix invests big in new content and isn't afraid to take chances with varied content around the globe.
                            Heck, I can watch new episodes of the CW superhero shows a day, or maybe a couple days after they have aired in the US. Star Trek Discovery, available the next day.

I was reluctant to get a subscription to Netflix when it first came to Belgium, but I recently got to browse the catalogue and when June comes around, I'll be subscribing to the service. Why? Because they are finally able to offer more than some local stuff I would never watch on TV either.

I don't binge watch because I simply can't stay focused long enough to pay attention to one thing for too long a time, so I can watch whenever I like, wherever (within the EU at least) I like.

Pray to the Ori or to your favorite Goa'uld God and keep your hopes up!
                            You'd have to sacrifice a virgin or two to make it happen.

Originally posted by TheVoidDragon View Post
                            Why are you assuming that the decision is based on some sort of malicious reason? Different streaming services have different offerings and availability in different locations for all sorts of reasons. It would be absurd for them to just go "We don't want to" in locations where Stargate was popular, like France. We have no idea what legal, technical or other licensing deals there are already in place that would affect the availability.
                            Why were the first 20 minutes free for streaming worldwide?
                            Why are the weekly episodes on youtube free worldwide?

And beyond that, I refer you to nivao's post because I'm still too pissed off to give you a reply that wouldn't offend you or anyone else who rejoices over the news. Better to keep my mouth shut, just like MGM wants me to.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                              Why were the first 20 minutes free for streaming worldwide?
                              Why are the weekly episodes on youtube free worldwide?
                              This was a mean tease indeed.
                              The initial marketing said paid subscribers would be the first to stream the content, which implied they would open it up to all, and that had my hopes up. In spite of people telling this to fans without access, a lot of time has passed and the rest of the world is still waiting.

Comment

This was a mean tease indeed.
                                The initial marketing said paid subscribers would be the first to stream the content, which implied they would open it up to all, and that had my hopes up. In spite of people telling this to fans without access, a lot of time has passed and the rest of the world is still waiting.
                                They certainly seem to have the intention to make Stargate Origins available worldwide -- though I'm unsure their definition of "worldwide" and mine align (I'm fairly certain it doesn't). They claim it will be available in 12 different languages (subtitles I suspect) -- this was a tweet in reply to someone a week or two/three ago.

With regards to the website, I altered my account there to deal solely with my rewatch, and deleted every other post not related to that (except for the 30 Days of Stargate post -- it has more than 125 comments so that'll stay). I took the webpage out of my daily visits and blocked Command on twitter. If their staff contact me again, I'll kindly ask them not to do so in the future. They literally betrayed my trust in them -- this cannot be forgiven.
                                And MGM certainly lost a customer. Not going out of my way to watch whatever they continue to produce, but I'll be thinking twice about buying anything they have their paws in.

Comment

Working...
                                X