Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate Command site - Online streaming not available outside of the US?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think gateworld is under any "legal hook" to provide MGM with any off it's data though, and that's where the potential money is.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      Oh. Em. Gee.

I just felt the need to look up the people who are responsible for creating the Stargate Command app -- TopFan.

And it's gold.

This is the text you can read (scrolling down) on their home page:

NEXT GENERATION FAN ENGAGEMENT & CONTENT DISTRIBUTION
      Everything for your fans, in your own official mobile app and web community.

YOUR FANS. YOUR DATA.
      Take back control of fan data & relationships in order to monetize your fan base more efficiently.

BRING ALL YOUR CONTENT INTO ONE PLACE
      Directly deliver and sell premium content to your fans.

READY TO GET STARTED?
      Let us show you how to start building your fan community the right way.

And here's the content they put up on their FILM & TELEVISION page:

One-Stop Shop
      Everything about you in one place including social media, music, videos, merchandise, articles, games, trivia and contests, always kept fresh and tailored to each user’s preferences.

Interactive Communities
      Give your fans a voice by allowing them to create profiles, share user generated content with you, direct message other fans, and exchange virtual gifts.

Premium Content
      You can sell VIP subscriptions for fans to access exclusive audio and video content, live chats and more.

Fan Relationship Management™
      You’ll capture and own each of your fan’s individual demographic, psychographic, and merchandise purchasing information, and have the power to market to them directly based on the data.

OH, it gets better...

Own Your Fan
      The interactive fan communities generate massive amounts of detailed data. Unlike your page on the social networks, you will own this data forever. Capture demographic data including email addresses, genders, ages, and geographic locations. You’ll also capture psychographic data including a fan’s interests and opinions, and even their merchandise purchasing history.

DIRECT TO FAN
      The future of content monetization is “over-the-top” distribution with fans receiving content directly from influencers.

/// talk about being played

Want to monetize the fanbase, there's one place to go and it's TopFan Inc in Greenwood Village, Colorado.
      The problem these days is: this is also what Linkedin, Facebook, Twitter, ... Do with your data.
      In those free services, YOU are the product.

The difference here is: you're even paying for being the product lol.

Hmmm, that makes it sound like prostitution or something

Comment

I was maybe for one second tempted to get the app maybe but after what you guys all post here about it, I sure won't

Comment

Originally posted by Az'ryel View Post
          I was maybe for one second tempted to get the app maybe but after what you guys all post here about it, I sure won't
          I noticed it already got a first update today on Android through Google Play, but to be honest, haven't even bothered myself to open it more than once since installing on the 20th.

Comment

I've been doing some light and very entertaining reading on the "message forum" ...

There are a remarkable amount of people who really don't bother to read any sort of FAQ or fine print when buying something.

Also, the quizzes are actually quite fun. An idea for Gateworld too -- can't win any prices on Command either with them so it wouldn't be too hard to implement them here.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I've been doing some light and very entertaining reading on the "message forum" ...

There are a remarkable amount of people who really don't bother to read any sort of FAQ or fine print when buying something.
              Traitor!

My guess/fear is that there will be a lot of disappointed people as this progresses.
              If MGM isn't careful, this might be the final nail in the coffin instead of revival of the franchise.

Not that they care probably, still am comparing this to a quick moneygrab by MGM.

Oh well, to be really honest, for me personally, MGM could never do what they need to do to make me happy: the continuation of SGA, for at least 5 more seasons plus 2 movies like SG1 got AND with the original cast.

But since they all moved on and are probably too old now...

I'll always have my good old dvd-boxes

Comment

Originally posted by DrMckay View Post
                Traitor!
                Hey, someone's gotta provide intel on how the masses grumble. How they are bothered by the many flaws.

I've also been promoting the all inclusive Gateworld and it's marvellous forum.

And I'm good at those quizzes, okay.

My guess/fear is that there will be a lot of disappointed people as this progresses.
                If MGM isn't careful, this might be the final nail in the coffin instead of revival of the franchise.
                There already are.

Not that they care probably, still am comparing this to a quick moneygrab by MGM.
                It's all in TopFan's sales pitch on "How to squeeze the fans of every last penny they own"

Comment

And the app crashed a first time late last night, after its first upgrade.

Nice going guys...

Comment

Oh. Em. Gee.

--- Spoiler for length ---
                    Spoiler:
                    I just felt the need to look up the people who are responsible for creating the Stargate Command app -- TopFan.

And it's gold.

This is the text you can read (scrolling down) on their home page:

YOUR FANS. YOUR DATA.
                    Take back control of fan data & relationships in order to monetize your fan base more efficiently.

BRING ALL YOUR CONTENT INTO ONE PLACE
                    Directly deliver and sell premium content to your fans.

READY TO GET STARTED?

And here's the content they put up on their FILM & TELEVISION page:

One-Stop Shop
                    Everything about you in one place including social media, music, videos, merchandise, articles, games, trivia and contests, always kept fresh and tailored to each user’s preferences.

Interactive Communities
                    Give your fans a voice by allowing them to create profiles, share user generated content with you, direct message other fans, and exchange virtual gifts.

Premium Content
                    You can sell VIP subscriptions for fans to access exclusive audio and video content, live chats and more.

Fan Relationship Management™
                    You’ll capture and own each of your fan’s individual demographic, psychographic, and merchandise purchasing information, and have the power to market to them directly based on the data.

OH, it gets better...

Own Your Fan
                    The interactive fan communities generate massive amounts of detailed data. Unlike your page on the social networks, you will own this data forever. Capture demographic data including email addresses, genders, ages, and geographic locations. You’ll also capture psychographic data including a fan’s interests and opinions, and even their merchandise purchasing history.

DIRECT TO FAN
                    The future of content monetization is “over-the-top” distribution with fans receiving content directly from influencers.

/// talk about being played

Want to monetize the fanbase, there's one place to go and it's TopFan Inc in Greenwood Village, Colorado.
                    Well, this is highly disturbing. Okay, Facebook, Google and all the other data thieves do this as well. But still, it's kinda sobering, reading this spelled out in clear words how fans are being monetarised.

I've also been promoting the all inclusive Gateworld and it's marvellous forum.
                    Well done!

I wonder when there will be updates for the content. I've been checking the site every now and then and there doesn't appear to be new stuff. Maybe the shiny new content will only be for the all access members.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco-Stellaris View Post
                      I wonder when there will be updates for the content. I've been checking the site every now and then and there doesn't appear to be new stuff. Maybe the shiny new content will only be for the all access members.
                      Nah, as I said earlier already: this is it boys and girls, the great, long anticipated, fantastic, superduper, magnificent revival of the franchise.
                      Also known as: the now seriously deflated balloon

Comment

Originally posted by Draco-Stellaris View Post
                        It is quite boring staring at the same 10 news articles, quizzes and polls.

There should be some new content next week or so, or this week, I don't know. But yeah, it could very well be for the All-Access members -- which are literally tagged that way. And oh boy, has that gone to a few heads already.

And it wasn't even filled with helium.

Comment

Nah, as I said earlier already: this is it boys and girls, the great, long anticipated, fantastic, superduper, magnificent revival of the franchise.
                          Was that balloon ever inflated? I mean they definitely tried to hype this, but i've not seen much hype from actual people. I mean, i want more stargate yet it seems it was set up to fail from the start.

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          Honestly...that's not really a good sell. You can gather most of that info on a fan forum (like this one) without that much effort anyway.
                          I thought it was kind of funny how they act like making a forum is some novelty idea.

Interactive Communities
                          AKA What we've been doing here for decades.

Had that for years.
                          YOUR FANS. YOUR DATA.
                          "they made a fanpage! how dare they! "

READY TO GET STARTED?
                          Go to www.gateworld.net and you have it already!

Own Your Fan

DIRECT TO FAN
                          So, basically tailor-made facebook. got it.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            Was that balloon ever inflated? I mean they definitely tried to hype this, but i've not seen much hype from actual people. I mean, i want more stargate yet it seems it was set up to fail from the start.
                            They certainly tried to hype it, but even that was done in a somewhat questionable way.
                            I mean, big announcement in July -- we're bringing Stargate back! We're doing this for the fans! A big thank you for their dedication to the franchise!

It will become clear on a later date that "the fans" are but a select few countries, alienating 70% of the fandom.

*silence for a month, not a peep, nothing, nada, zilch -- not even the sound of a chevron locking*

End of august, Stargate Command team sends out a mass mail to all those who entered their emailaddress on the webpage (regardless of origin) -- big announcement: you can pre-register for when we go live on the 20th of September!

"Great! And look at that list of what all-access members get... That looks promising, doesn't it!
                            Hey, they're even throwing in an exclusive T-shirt. Nice!"

**....**

Pre-registration is only available to US residents, and residents of the US territories.

Residents of the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and Germany will be able to sign up when the app goes live and buy all-access in app.

"EXCUSE ME?!?"

Personal note: "I hate being right sometimes -- Re: geo-locking & paywall."

Vague notions about whether the app will even be available in any country outside of those 6.
                            It is, obviously, but the free stuff is very limited and the same 10 articles really aren't cutting it. Gateworld does way better in that regard. Stargate Command looks like it dove into GW's archives and is just doing a copy/paste. So, barely anything new there, except for a production diary which holds exactly 1 -- yes, ONE entry.

Mass mail out... people disappointed, confused and all-round flipping MGM the big fat finger...

*silence for another month, not a peep, nothing, nada, zilch -- not even the sound of a chevron locking*

On the 21st of September, Command tries to "populate" their new site, which is clearly app-based (and website later). It's a cluster***** (TM: Dr McKay) messageboard. Nothing works as it should. All-access members can only view in app (so on phone or tablet). There's no full screen, and the quality is piss-poor.

There's no explanation on what everything is for -- commandcoins, gifts, ... The UI is downright horrible, and the servers kept crashing. People couldn't even get onto the website.

They simply neglected to beta-test. They just threw themselves into the deep end and hoped for the best.

And the best is yet to come...

* a subscription that runs out on May 15, 2018 midnight
                            * Stargate Origins hasn't even started filming yet -- release might be scheduled for the end of December 2017 or January 2018

So, basically tailor-made facebook. got it.
                            More like Tumblr if you look at it in a webbrowser, and twitter if you're opening it in app.

Comment

More like Tumblr if you look at it in a webbrowser
                              *thousand-year stare*

Comment

*thousand-year stare*
                                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                                X