Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ID4 #2 does poorly.. will that impact the SG reboot films?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternate timelines and Alternate Universes, I guess the question can be are they essentially the same thing? I mean within the show.
    By Nolamom
    sigpic

Comment

In essense they are. An AU is the same as a AT, however imo they are different things..

Comment

It's wibbly-wobbly, like time.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Peterking72 View Post
          Of course they said that. You have to understand that they are all about the money businnes man in the first place. Directing and making movies and all that comes with that is just second nature to them. They bash the TV show because they sold the rights after the film tanked at the box offices, so they didn't make any money on the success of the TV shows. They were angry and ever since tried to get back the rights to cash in. Now after the TV show ended they finally have the chance to do it. They said they despise everything about the series, when in fact they're angry that those ideas seen on these TV shows weren't their own and should despise themselves instead. They desperately trying to position themselves by saying that their version of the Stargate will be different and unique. We will see about that. We explored pretty much every possibility about Stargate in the shows. The story of the series is so rich that I doubt that a hollow movie flick like the ones they make can even capture 1% of that magic you feel when watching an episode from the TV shows. I also doubt that the story they'll come up with wouldn't be in some way resembling an episode of the TV shows, or a multitude of episodes mashed together in an incoherent plot. I'm betting on the latter. The only thing that would pull in viewers for that movie would be possible big names, granted that they can convince any to join their crew. However after Will Smith said no to their 2nd take on the Independence Day I doubt that they can pull in really big names. Even though Will Smith is a bit spoiled from being so famous and has a swagger that can fill a mansion, people and other actors still take notice when he is turning down this big a role. Plus he can afford to turn it down if he considers that it would hurt his image.

Back to the topic: I seriously doubt that we would see an original masterpiece from these two bozos.
          I agree with your logic they hate the series because they didn't do it I agree with you 100% about what you say about them

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
          good. good. GOOD!!

that means the tv franchise still has a shot, even if it's brand new ppl in front and behind the scenes.

Me Sal me too
          sigpic
          My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
          poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

I think the happy ones don't realize the full implication of this cancellation -- if the movie isn't happening, the franchise has been put in cold storage. Basically, it's dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              I think the happy ones don't realize the full implication of this cancellation -- if the movie isn't happening, the franchise has been put in cold storage. Basically, it's dead.
              Yup, it's either a case of plans getting salvaged or we're on cold storage to the next iteration of reboots, meaning annother 10 or so years to wait.

Comment

That sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                  In essense they are. An AU is the same as a AT, however imo they are different things..

From a narrative point of view, I am not a fan of the idea of alternate timelines. I prefer the ideas put forth in the book Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations books. Basically once an AT is made, at a quantum level it merges and reconciles with the original timeline...it gets rather complicated though. But I did like it a lot more because it meant that if you go to the past and change something, your world is changed. You're not in another timeline, this is your world. The one you knew reformed at a quantum state to this new timeline and after X amounts of...."time" the change would be nearly if not totally impossible to revert.
                  By Nolamom
                  sigpic

Comment

Impossible to revert? Hmmm..I'm not sure I like that, in a sci-fi show. However that makes it harder to mess it up (like in Flash. Barry is sad. XD).

------------------
                    I do know that the cancellation means, very much so. (I do contemplate on it in another thread I started recently). However it is still much favorable if a GOOD reboot happens later then a HALF ASSED one right now.

We also have to think about what consequences would it have versus a later reboot:

in a timeline:

1) SG TV Shows end------->new SG film trilogy falls trough(2016)--------> Later reboot(2026-2030)-------->New TV Show is still running (2036-2040)

2) SG TV Shows end------->new SG film trilogy falls trough(2016)---------> RD and DD reboots SG as a TV show(2017-2018)-------->The reboot is a major flop (2019-2020)------------------------------------------------------------->sometime around 2066:Either: A) new reboot is attempted by MGM or B)A new film is in the plans----------------------------------->2080:We can watch that film.

The truth is most of us, me included will most likely be dead by that time. I can maybe hold on till 2060 at best. I would be 74 years old then. Not exactly a movie going age. Most likely long have forgotten Stargate due to Alzheimers or time.
                    Makes me sad thinking about either.
                    So I think I deserve to be a bit happy about the cancellation of those new films, even though it means I have to wait a bit longer.
                    sigpicHallowed are the Ori.

Comment

Dean Devlin works on The Librarians at the moment, so unless that gets cancelled, which I sincerely hope not, I'd like him focused on that for a little while longer.

Comment

I don't think we will wait longer if you want my honest opinion I think they MGM will find someone else to do it because it has a small established fan base maybe they will go back to tv first I just have a feeling that they know it can make money just not as reboot
                        sigpic
                        My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                        poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

We can HOPE they take the reigns back from Devlin and co..

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
                            I don't think we will wait longer if you want my honest opinion I think they MGM will find someone else to do it because it has a small established fan base maybe they will go back to tv first I just have a feeling that they know it can make money just not as reboot
                            A small fanbase doesn't equal big income. You need to have a lot more than just a small fanbase.

Fans are great, but they are not generally the target audience. It's the ones that haven't fallen into the fandom yet, you need to reach. And thus, there has to be a market for it. Right now, Star Wars is taking up all that space.

Comment

I'm fine with this news for 2 reasons:

1) if they do it, I don't want them to ignore over a decade of world building from the TV series. That's just stupid, and a big FU to the fanbase.

2) Emmerich is putting out garbage lately.

Here's some entertainment for your lunch hour:

Everything Wrong With: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA4_G2Otw9s
                              Honest Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq5M2UcZ9FA

Comment

I had to laugh my ass off at that 'everything wrong with' video..

Comment

Working...
                                X