No announcement yet.

new series concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be honest, with full creative control, i'd either soft or hard reboot Stargate.

The basic idea would be the same in either case: a series that follows SG's 1,2 and 3 on missions. So Stargate SG1-style. Both would be set in 2020-ish (so contemporary)

Soft Reboot:

Adria is mysteriously killed in an explosion before she ascends, while the Asgard give earth a refurbished Tria in stead of the Core and upgrades. The Asgard behaving strangely before their demise, plus investigations into Adria's death lead earth to conclude a time travel event happened. Atlantis remains firmly in Pegasus, trying to contain the situation. The Tria is Earth's flagship and has done much to defeat the remaining Ori followers, now without their gods and very much vulnerable.

The Lucian Alliance has thoroughly professionalized and are now a major galactic power. they feel threatened by Earth's militaristic approach and get Deja-vu's to the previous Goa'uld reign. Earth's primary antagonist, the LA is led by a band of intelligent warlords that seek to diminish Earth's power and influence in the galaxy.

The Jaffa would be a second important player, the Free Jaffa Nation having a difficult past, trying to move on without abandoning their beliefs. Although many Jaffa believe Earth did the right thing, many also believe that Earth is on a slippery slope, leading to tensions. Jaffa not aligned to the Free Jaffa Nation tend to be more extremist, and would serve as the occasional villain.

The Goa'uld aren't extinct. Rather than the god-complex ones, the main Goa'uld involved would be the minor ones, who are savvy enough to not make the same mistakes. Now that the Galaxy's on the hunt for their species, the remaining ones are cautious, clever and covert, and help whoever benefits them the most.

The series would focus on the continued exploration of the galaxy, but mostly with a galaxy trying to scrape itself back together after millenia of war and domination.

Hard Reboot:
    I actually would prefer a complete (proper!) reboot, taking some elements from all three previous shows. It would probably be fairly different from the stargate you know. The biggest changes would be that it would feature limited range gates (SGU-style), and a galaxy divided in four quadrants with a different Great Race (Ancient/Asgard/Nox/Furling influence, ruins), a different dominant race (Goa'uld, Aschen/Tollan style, Wraith-style and Replicator/android/Cylon style enemies).

Earth would be positioned inbetween the Goa'ulds (Ancient space) and Aschen (probably Asgard space) territories, the Goa'uld's expansion blocked by the Wraith-style (Organic tech/Nox space) and the Aschen expansion blocked by the machine race (Probably furlings, to continue the "We don't know what they looked like" running gag).

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
      Certainly an interesting concept. You could write and put it out online. Though it is true having Ancient-anything be the main focus has been done to death (especially having a former enemy of the Ancients).

Thing to note: SG1 and SGA had interesting characters. You might want to provide some fun/diverse characters.

Also, the new enemy: SG1's and SGA's bad guys were kinda...one dimensional. Fun, but one dimensional. It was a black and white fight of good vs evil aliens and, no offense, your villains sound similar. Try giving their motivations or their existence some depth. Maybe make them morally gray. Even if they are evil, try making them gray in some way.
      No offense to SGU fans. But I am sick of seeing superman (humans) ancients that built everything. And I'd rather Stargate go back to it's mythology roots with the Goa'uld (Ra's race). There was a lot of stories that were untapped. I don't think the Goa'uld need anymore dimension. There suppose to be selfish and cruel beings, some more than others. We don't need a SGU makeover with them using stones to rape people's wives or some other crazy thing like Ra being a paedophile... just no. They steal people's bodies and enslave people to serve their existence, that's dark enough.

Comment

Originally posted by The Eye of Ra View Post
        No offense to SGU fans
        I actually thought SGU did pretty well with it's ancients influence, making it more of a little factoid in stead of a huge thing like in SGA. They were on a ship and it just happened to be ancient.

We don't need a SGU makeover with them using stones to rape people's wives
        Hathor literally raped Daniel Jackson. Never heard anyone complain about it.

Comment

Actually quite a few people did moan about that Hathor incident.

Comment

No offense to SGU fans. But I am sick of seeing superman (humans) ancients that built everything. And I'd rather Stargate go back to it's mythology roots with the Goa'uld (Ra's race). There was a lot of stories that were untapped. I don't think the Goa'uld need anymore dimension. There suppose to be selfish and cruel beings, some more than others. We don't need a SGU makeover with them using stones to rape people's wives or some other crazy thing like Ra being a paedophile... just no. They steal people's bodies and enslave people to serve their existence, that's dark enough.
            It doesn't need to involve rapes or pedophiles (though I don't understand how that relates to this). Between SG1, SGA, and all the other fan written expansions, all the enemies are identical. They are an old enemy of the Ancients, and they want to take control of the galaxy because they are power hungry and evil. The only difference between them is their biology, there've been cloaking lizard men, telepathic fish men, and even birdmen with superspeed. Eventually, they seem less like new enemies and more like reskins of old ones.

sigpic
            Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
            https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

I want to see a stargate done in a completely different tone. Dark and gritty. The go'ould campaign told from the point of view of a single unit or squad. Training for the fight first and then the action. Learning tactics against their enemy. Studying previous hard won lessons. Like a Band of Brothers meets Stargate. The cast must be big so that characters can actually die. The threat of death for characters must be real, and sometimes brutal, unfair and pointless. No SG1 glamour or light humour. Shot BSG1 style in steadycam so you can feel the staff weapon blasts smashing into the rocks around you.

Comment

That's exactly what SGU did. But again, the writers messed up since they did not introduce a main villain for the show. They could also have an object or a part of Destiny be connected to a crew member personally, like I posted in another thread. Otherwise, SGU's story is/was fine, it just needed a little more planning and organizing.

Comment

They could also have an object or a part of Destiny be connected to a crew member personally
                  Sort of like how once rush had opened the bridge, he had visions of his wife AND Dr franklin?

Comment

I didn't thinks SGU needed a main villain. I thought it needed better characters.

A stargate series can be light hearted or even horror themed (hell, I'd be interested in that. The new section of the gate network is linked to nightmarish planets and it's not a new discovery but a new horror on each run).

I also think this is something that fan series should focus on. Along with still recycling the "It's and Ancient city/space station" and "it's a pure evil enemy of the Ancients", people's don't really talk about the characters to be developed.

sigpic
                    Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

I don't know if it's time for a reboot already or the universe needs another series but I do feel like they could have tied up a lot of SG-1 and SG-A with a full length movie.

My thought was this:

After the events of TAOT the Priors get into a civil war. Some want to maintain power others want to protect the human populations. There is much toilet bowl ship battling. We don't know it but we are fighting against the power hungry Priors in the MW. We're taking their resources so they discover the plague that wiped out the Ancients and dump it off in the MW thinking they will just wipe out all the humans and Jaffa or at least keep us occupied.

People across planets start getting sick. It's incredibly contagious but doesn't immediately kill because that would make it less effective across the galaxy. As it turns out, anybody with the ATA doesn't get sick. The Priors screwed up recreating it and now being part-Ancient helps. It isn't cured with ATA but if you have ATA you're okay. (Gimmicky but you have to have a reason why some of SGC can carry on.)

Snakeheads can fight it off so the Tok'ra can help us. It also means the Goa'uld left are fine and begin building armies of loyal Jaffa by agreeing to carry symbiotes. Now the Goa'uld are beginning to war with the other Jaffa and humans. They aren't powerful but they are on the rise.

SGC knows the Ancients didn't have a cure but think the Asgards might have had something in their database. We can't figure it out. There's the bad Asgard in Pegasus so we set out to try to find them.

We find out some other Wraith learned the location of earth and are heading into the MW not knowing their food supply here is ill. They fight with the Goa'uld. They fight with us. They try to feed here but get sick people. They don't get sick but find the plague prevents them from feeding. Believing the food source here is bad the Wraith not killed in epic space battles return to Pegasus where they are fighting both a civil war and a war against the human alliance.

We try to find the bad Asgards but have to fight some Wraith. The human alliance isn't thrilled we're back and they fight our people too. Ultimately we team up with Laren's people but we've spread the plague to Pegasus. So now they don't want to help us either. We eventually find the bad Asgards but learn they have made a deal with the Wraith that they won't bother each other because the bad Asgards have bluffed the Wraith into believing they can turn the Attero device back on. The Wraith keep an eye on them so just getting to the bad Asgard means going through the Wraith.

Eventually we get to them and they want to fight. So we fight for a while and gain the upper hand. We tell them about the rest of the Asgard and that we have all their technology. The bad Asgard agree to help us figure out a cure but really just plan on taking all the data from the Asgard database to improve their own technology. The plague also attacks them (oops) so now they have to help us. A combination of Asgard and Ancient knowledge almost gets us to the cure but they need somebody who understands how to interface the technology with human biology better. So they go thaw out replicator Weir.

With her help they are able to devise an energy-based cure they can spread by activating the stargates and firing it into the wormhole. Then it will spread from person to person. They spread it through both galaxies. They also build a human body for Weir and transfer her back into it. The bad Asgard realize they can't stay in Pegasus anymore so they decide to go somewhere else and try to rebuild the Asgard civilization. On the way out they activate a weapon they had been working on that seriously cripples the Wraith.

Tauri return home and find that with the Jaffa and humans no longer sick the Goa'uld have lost a lot of power and there's some mop up work to be done. The Wraith are also still around but the numbers are low enough that the human coalition stands a good chance of beating them without Atlantis.

Comment

as I see it there are a few good storylines available for the sg franchise.

they could do a sg1/sgA concurrent series where you have another sg team from either atlantes or the sgc (maybe both)the problem with this is the actors are all probably too old and might not want to do it and you would probably have to recast known characters as new actors)

you could go enterprise and do a pre/concurrent series where time travelers are trying to **** on the sg timeline and there is a team trying to stop them.

You can do a sgc goes back in time to fix things in history story where they go back in time and change things in such a way that it doesn’t alter the timeline (we don’t actually know what happened to the tolan for sure)

then there is the ones everyone thinks of. We find a new enemy (most of the time an enemy of the ancients) and we fight them. This would be good if the enemy is well constructed and we get a sense that this wasn’t the everyday enemy of the ancients this was their timewar (dw)(this would mean that at one point the ancients were a much more powerful species then we ever thought and what we know of them was at the twilight of their power)

an interesting derivation on the previous is to have it be an enemy of one of the other alliance races and imo furlings are totally fair game I don’t think anyone will be upset their speculation was wrong (ok some will be but sometimes it’s best to ignore people like that) having an enemy of the asguards would be pretty cool imo but it all still depends on how its written it doesn’t matter who they fought in the past they have to be scary on their own.

the natural progression most take it in goes something like this “earth gets all this tech they didn’t have before and becomes way more powerful and so do the enemies then some Michal bay **** goes down” in a dbz like progression of power while that makes sense and is progress (technologically) it isn’t narrative progress.

Comment

(split my post in 2 because it was getting tldr and they’re kind of about 2 different things this one is about what sg should do whereas the previous was outlining a few things they COULD do)

The future of the Tauri is one of figuring out their place in the universe. There are wraith preying on humans in Pegasus. there is the la (I assume they’re evil) there is goa’uld remnants who are probably more technically competent than anyone outside of the Tauri (it’s a miracle that anyone other than the jaffa can even fly a ship most of the galaxy were slaves of the goa’uld and kept at a really low tech level) the ori probably have some remnants. where does the Tauri fit into all this? Is it their duty to defend the others from these threats or do they not have a right to intervene? I’m not sure the role the Tauri should play but them figuring it out should be the point of the point of the series moving forward.(I tend to favor something which a lot of people would feel like is too similar to startrek)

imo the sg universe going forwards should be divided into 2-4 shows. 1 or 2 ships (where the series is more about them and their missions a lot more like startrek) and a sgc series (more about sg teams) maybe another about the Atlantis city ship. Then you can tell some epic stories about how the Tauri learn and grow by dealing with the galaxy around them

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            The asgard hyperdrive + beaming means that rescue is basically a phone call away.
                            One way I get around that, if we were to have a big bad, is someone is using a hyperspace jammer, which has since been perfected not to interfere with the stargate network. Putting our ships out of commissioning. With no way to track down it location.

This could also be the reason for the reactivation of a serious exploration mission through the gate network, which has since been largely abandoned as Earth built more than enough ships for our needs.

Comment

To be honst, I think thre is no need for a new stargate show, or reboot or any as such. The old ones are out there on DVD and we can buy and watch them. I doubt any new thing can ever be as good as the shows we love and moreover, you would have to come up with many new ideas to make something fresh

Comment

Hence why some of us want them to at least give a proper finishing off for SGA and SGU like they did with SG1..

Comment

Working...
                                X