X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    To be fair, Star Wars fans have been whining since Return of the Jedi
    And they have a lot to whine about... such an expanded universe...so much material...
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I'm not happy with this reboot for a few reasons

1. I think it's going to flop. Stargate is not on the same level (in terms of recognition) as Star Trek, or Star Wars. If it flops then it's likely we'll not get any more Stargate ever...or we'll wait 20 years for a reboot.

2. Related to point 1. Stargate the movie was an okay movie, but despite making a fair bit of money it was considered a critical and commercial failure, hence why the original trilogy was shelved in the first place. Stargate only garnered a proper fanbase once SG-1 came about and became an established show. Now Emmerich and Devlin are going to go back to the original, largely unsuccessful trilogy while completely ignoring the TV shows that fans grew to love. I think they might get an audience for this first film until people think 'this has nothing to do with the show I like on TV' and decide not to go to film no. 2 if it goes ahead. It'd be like Firefly fans going to see Serenity and watching a movie that recasted all the characters, removed others and ignored the show!

3. If it's a success (and despite everything I do hope it's a success), bang goes any chance of them ever revisiting the TV shows, which leaves all the Atlantis and Universe fans hanging. I'd hoped for Stargate to go the way of Babylon 5 and have a series of TV films.

4. I worry that the people at MGM (who weren't there while Stargate was doing well on the small screen) really understand that this franchise's strength is in episodic storytelling. This is their move at turning the franchise into a cash cow and they might cash out after one film and mothball the franchise forever.
      sigpic
      Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Here's the kicker: fans are not the people they want to please here. They are aiming for a new audience. If the fans of the original film and/or tv-series come and see their new thing than that's a plus, but really, it's all about garnering a new audience.

Comment

Hmm, still not convinced that this will actually ever be made, if the new Independence Day film is a is a disaster - and lets face it the first Independence Day film was the last original thought that D&E had so it might well be - then it will probably be consigned once more to development hell.

Personally I don't think I'll be seeing it if it is made. As I've said before, I liked the Stargate movie, but I didn't love it, I thought the story was a little thin to be honest and a bit hokey, in all honesty I thought the mythology that SG-1 built up has obscured a lot of the weakness in the original concept. In fact, thinking about it I think I'd be more excited about a reboot if anyone but Devlin and Emmerich were doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
            Same here.

If MGM decides to be original *cough* they'll make two sequels and a spinoff show. More stargate.

I don't understand this unique snowflake ideal. Hollywood is digging up dead stuff at a high pace right now. I don't see people screaming how bad the Star Wars reboot is.

I think the new Star Wars looks awful, visually impressive but......well, lets just say I'm hoping to be surprised but I'm really not expecting to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Arica15 View Post
              Hmm, still not convinced that this will actually ever be made, if the new Independence Day film is a is a disaster - and lets face it the first Independence Day film was the last original thought that D&E had so it might well be - then it will probably be consigned once more to development hell.

Personally I don't think I'll be seeing it if it is made. As I've said before, I liked the Stargate movie, but I didn't love it, I thought the story was a little thin to be honest and a bit hokey, in all honesty I thought the mythology that SG-1 built up has obscured a lot of the weakness in the original concept. In fact, thinking about it I think I'd be more excited about a reboot if anyone but Devlin and Emmerich were doing it.
              Yup....to be honest if there was no chance of MGM handing the franchise back to Brad Wright et al...I'd far rather it went to a new writer/director/producer rather than going back to Devlin and Emmerich who do visually impressive stuff, but stuff that lacks heart, characterisation and solid plotting.

I'm a massive Trekkie, and I had my reservations when the Trek reboot was confirmed, and no I'm not entirely happy with what's been done with them (though I like them and will be going to see Star Trek Beyond when it comes out)...but JJ Abrahms and co. at least made sure to set the films in an alternate timeless and paid homage to the source material. As a result it's easy to sit back and enjoy the new films knowing that the shows you loved are respected and remembered.

The Stargate TV shows paid homage time and time again to Stargate's source material while elevating it to a new level of storytelling. Devlin and Emmerich wouldn't be getting the chance to tell/retell their trilogy if it weren't for SG-1's success (if Stargate hadn't remained in the public conscience in one way or another in the 20 years since the original there's no way MGM would have given the reboot the green light) and I think they owe it at least a little respect. But unlike JJ Abrahms they won't do that. I think they're going to go out of their way to scrub the shows from existence.
              sigpic
              Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Are your DVD's suddenly going to loose their content? Is the internet suddenly going to loose those million amount of words written in fanfic (which occasionally redcons every bit of the show, or ignores certain events to the authors content)?

If the answer is no, stop being so dramatic.
                If the answer is yes, then we have a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
                  Yup....to be honest if there was no chance of MGM handing the franchise back to Brad Wright et al...I'd far rather it went to a new writer/director/producer rather than going back to Devlin and Emmerich who do visually impressive stuff, but stuff that lacks heart, characterisation and solid plotting.

I'm a massive Trekkie, and I had my reservations when the Trek reboot was confirmed, and no I'm not entirely happy with what's been done with them (though I like them and will be going to see Star Trek Beyond when it comes out)...but JJ Abrahms and co. at least made sure to set the films in an alternate timeless and paid homage to the source material. As a result it's easy to sit back and enjoy the new films knowing that the shows you loved are respected and remembered.

The Stargate TV shows paid homage time and time again to Stargate's source material while elevating it to a new level of storytelling. Devlin and Emmerich wouldn't be getting the chance to tell/retell their trilogy if it weren't for SG-1's success (if Stargate hadn't remained in the public conscience in one way or another in the 20 years since the original there's no way MGM would have given the reboot the green light) and I think they owe it at least a little respect. But unlike JJ Abrahms they won't do that. I think they're going to go out of their way to scrub the shows from existence.
                  I have to admit I didn't like the new Star Trek films either.......I tend not to like reboots as much for the stunning lack of imagination which leads to them as anything else, sequels and continuations a la Next Generation and Atlantis at least carry stories forwards but reboots seem to me the height of pointlessness and laziness. I'd probably be warmer towards the film if it was set 20 years after the last one, but just trying to wipe out what's gone before, nah, lazy.

To be honest though, the films ignoring the SG-1 universe isn't a problem for me, in fact, I think its a good thing that they DON'T reference the television world because that keeps it two separate worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    Here's the kicker: fans are not the people they want to please here. They are aiming for a new audience. If the fans of the original film and/or tv-series come and see their new thing than that's a plus, but really, it's all about garnering a new audience.
                    Agreed, else they wouldnt be rebooting it.

I'm not happy with this reboot for a few reasons
                    1. I think it's going to flop. Stargate is not on the same level (in terms of recognition) as Star Trek, or Star Wars. If it flops then it's likely we'll not get any more Stargate ever...or we'll wait 20 years for a reboot.
                    To be honest, i'm surprised the reboot came so fast. I was fully prepared to wait till 2030 for a reboot. Besides, TPTB have repeatedly said that Stargate made MGM a LOT of money. They will try, and try again.

Stargate the movie was an okay movie, but despite making a fair bit of money it was considered a critical and commercial failure
                    We're 20 years further now. I heavily doubt the reboot will be anything like STARGATE, it'll probably retain the basic idea but i bet you that it'll be completely different. MGM will definitely push it to be different enough from SG1 to ensure that people won't get confused. Hell, it may not even be called Stargate.

I'd hoped for Stargate to go the way of Babylon 5 and have a series of TV films.
                    The death of the DVD market killed that hope a long time ago.

4. I worry that the people at MGM really understand that this franchise's strength is in episodic storytelling.
                    I disagree. It's strength was in the characters, people that we could love and relate to. Richard Dean Anderson was a big, big reason i loved Stargate. I didn't start liking the others until their characters became much more fleshed out. Oh, and i didn't even know RDA before Stargate.

This is their move at turning the franchise into a cash cow and they might cash out after one film and mothball the franchise forever.
                    Stargate has always made them a lot of money, maybe not in huge heaps at a time but it's always been a great investment. If it didn't make them so much money, they would never be rebooting it.

You must have missed the discussions about the new lightsaber designs.
                    A few months ago people were going nuts over how bad Battlefront was. Now i'm seeing page after page being piled with people loving it. People change their opinions. People hated Star Wars, now i'm seeing them love how it uses practical effects etc etc etc.

Comment

...I was fully prepared to wait till 2030 for a reboot.
                      But I'm not.

Comment

Are your DVD's suddenly going to loose their content? Is the internet suddenly going to loose those million amount of words written in fanfic (which occasionally redcons every bit of the show, or ignores certain events to the authors content)?

If the answer is no, stop being so dramatic.
                        If the answer is yes, then we have a problem.
                        No they won't all of a sudden 'wipe out all the dvd/internet content'. BUT when someone like this is flat out ignoring the millions of fans worldwide who without us, there wouldn't even BE a ptential to 'resurrect the original Trilogy of SG films, its a massive slap in the face.. Akin to say Budweiser saying "we are making a new beer' but it will appeal to an entire new generation of people.. All the buds before are being ignored." would be a slap in the face of the millions of Bud drinkers out there who made bud a household name.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                          BUT when someone like this is flat out ignoring the millions of fans worldwide
                          I understand your concern, and i'm not too happy about it either. But there are so many more reboots going on and a lot of people don't actually seem to mind. In some cases it even allows for something better.

Of course, whether this is *better* remains to be seen. My opinion on this movie won't form until there's more info on this than 4 names.

Doesn't this come out somewhere after 2017? ID2 then ID 3 come out first, i believe.

Comment

Old fans die, new fans are born -- it's the circle of fandom life!

Comment

Old fans die, new fans are born -- it's the circle of fandom life!
                              Mostly in a slightly less dramatic fashion than actual death

Comment

Mostly in a slightly less dramatic fashion than actual death
                                Oh of course...

Comment

Working...
                                X