Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What plot would you like for the Devlin/Emmerich film reboots?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
    is there one single thing about sg1 or atlantis that you'll even miss? do you even like these series? do you like the characters?

it's not grouchy, flyboy, it's grieving.
    Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
    Speaking for myself, and I'm almost sure that Flyboy feels the same way cos we do about most things, yes; we do miss the Stargate franchise. We wouldn't be on this site if we weren't fans. But on the other hand, the series was cancelled years ago. We're over it. We've found different shows to enjoy just as much, if not more and we can still re-watch stargate whenever we feel like it and just get a slight pang of sadness when we get to the end of SGU.... until we go "Well then I guess it's time for BSG/Babylon 5/ Star Trek/ Sanctuary/ Firefly/ Blake 7/ Farscape" next then."
    P90 (my official spokesman) has summed up my views.

Majorsal, I like you, you know I do - but I have to confess I *do* think you're being overly protective and defensive on this matter.

I love Stargate. For a start. it was *the* first major science fiction franchise that I really got into. They were the first dvd boxsets I ever owned. And the first series I watched from start to finish. It has a very special place in my heart. I like the characters, as a child I related so much to Daniel Jackson. As I grew up and joined the military, I began to relate more and more to Major Davis. Fantastic characters in a fantastic story.

Do I 'grieve'? No.

I still have all of the Stargate episodes and movies on DVD, and FYI that includes Stargate Infinity (which I bought out of sheer curiosity). I can revisit the televised Stargate whenever I so choose. I will freely admit, my interest in dipped a little bit towards the end of SG-1 and Atlantis because I felt it had drifted too far from the wonderous concepts that I had fallen in love with. For me the golden era of Stargate will always be SG1 S1-6 and SGA S1. Interestingly, you don't mention SGU - which was sufficient to revitalise my interest in what the franchise was doing. In many ways (for me) it brought a lot of core concepts back, and characterwise reminded me far more of the early days of SG-1. It was sufficiently different to be fresh and interesting, but still retained a core Stargate theme.

Why am I excited about these movies, new interpretations, new ideas, new rules, new concepts, yet still with a Stargate brand?

Because I tire of SG-1 zipping about in 304s. I tire of beaming technology. I tire of The Ancients/Lanteans. I tire of deus-ex machinas. I tire of Canadian Pine Forests. Stargate moved closer and closer to a style that other shows do *better*. The set up in SG1 1-6 and SGA S1 was utter perfection and was imo lost. (Though I confess, the Ori as a theme were enough to hold my interest, despite my distain for spacey-waceyness in Stargate).

I was genuinely satisifed with Continuum as a conclusion to the Stargate SG-1 story. And I *like* conclusions. I like endings. I also was satisfied with the finale of Atlantis, unlike many - I feel it provided a perfect and above all, practicable ending. Far more palletable than the Wraith being wiped out in ana ct of Genocide. Earth was finally secure (they *could* have made a bigger deal about that). Apart from SGU, which still had a wonderful ending, even though no sense of completion, I am now ready to see what else the core concept of Stargate can offer.

As thekillman indicates, we have an entirely new universe available with new rules. But the core concept behind Stargate should (most likely) remain - false Gods, enslavement of Earth humans, ancient alien astronauts, riddles of the Pyramids, that sort of stuff. I'm ready to see where we can go with something new. Whether it succeeds or fails, it will never take away my enjoyment of SG-1, SGA and SGU. But it will give me a brand new adventure where the rules aren't known, and nothing is predictable.

I'm excited.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
      P90 (my official spokesman) has summed up my views.

Majorsal, I like you, you know I do - but I have to confess I *do* think you're being overly protective and defensive on this matter.

I love Stargate. For a start. it was *the* first major science fiction franchise that I really got into. They were the first dvd boxsets I ever owned. And the first series I watched from start to finish. It has a very special place in my heart. I like the characters, as a child I related so much to Daniel Jackson. As I grew up and joined the military, I began to relate more and more to Major Davis. Fantastic characters in a fantastic story.

Do I 'grieve'? No.

I still have all of the Stargate episodes and movies on DVD, and FYI that includes Stargate Infinity (which I bought out of sheer curiosity). I can revisit the televised Stargate whenever I so choose. I will freely admit, my interest in dipped a little bit towards the end of SG-1 and Atlantis because I felt it had drifted too far from the wonderous concepts that I had fallen in love with. For me the golden era of Stargate will always be SG1 S1-6 and SGA S1. Interestingly, you don't mention SGU - which was sufficient to revitalise my interest in what the franchise was doing. In many ways (for me) it brought a lot of core concepts back, and characterwise reminded me far more of the early days of SG-1. It was sufficiently different to be fresh and interesting, but still retained a core Stargate theme.

Why am I excited about these movies, new interpretations, new ideas, new rules, new concepts, yet still with a Stargate brand?

Because I tire of SG-1 zipping about in 304s. I tire of beaming technology. I tire of The Ancients/Lanteans. I tire of deus-ex machinas. I tire of Canadian Pine Forests. Stargate moved closer and closer to a style that other shows do *better*. The set up in SG1 1-6 and SGA S1 was utter perfection and was imo lost. (Though I confess, the Ori as a theme were enough to hold my interest, despite my distain for spacey-waceyness in Stargate).

I was genuinely satisifed with Continuum as a conclusion to the Stargate SG-1 story. And I *like* conclusions. I like endings. I also was satisfied with the finale of Atlantis, unlike many - I feel it provided a perfect and above all, practicable ending. Far more palletable than the Wraith being wiped out in ana ct of Genocide. Earth was finally secure (they *could* have made a bigger deal about that). Apart from SGU, which still had a wonderful ending, even though no sense of completion, I am now ready to see what else the core concept of Stargate can offer.

As thekillman indicates, we have an entirely new universe available with new rules. But the core concept behind Stargate should (most likely) remain - false Gods, enslavement of Earth humans, ancient alien astronauts, riddles of the Pyramids, that sort of stuff. I'm ready to see where we can go with something new. Whether it succeeds or fails, it will never take away my enjoyment of SG-1, SGA and SGU. But it will give me a brand new adventure where the rules aren't known, and nothing is predictable.

I'm excited.
      Well said dear boy... More so than me, but I'm assuming that unlike me, you've slept so...
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Ancients are part of the story. Overpowered yes but still better than the goa'uld as the top race of the galaxy. If you want to get rid of them in the reboot, might as well get rid of Destiny, Atlantis and the jumpers too. Almost all the tech was derived from them. This is nonsense. Stargate without Ancients is like Startrek without the Q continuum.

This is Stargates universe, you take the good with the bad. You guys are suffering from gate fatigue, you want something entirely new no matter what gets lost in the process. The hell with the replicators, their story was weak anyway, the human form that is cause the generic ones were awesome right? While at it, to reflect the times, lets change Egypt by Iraq and the great pyramid by the ziggurat of Ur, not the air force but the marines, replace Ra by Anu. Same stuff just different. Might as well tell J.J. Abrams to erase the Borg from Startrek canon, they are so predictable after all.

Stick with the story gods be damned.

Comment

Originally posted by meo3000 View Post
          Ancients are part of the story. Overpowered yes but still better than the goa'uld as the top race of the galaxy. If you want to get rid of them in the reboot, might as well get rid of Destiny, Atlantis and the jumpers too. Almost all the tech was derived from them. This is nonsense. Stargate without Ancients is like Startrek without the Q continuum.

This is Stargates universe, you take the good with the bad. You guys are suffering from gate fatigue, you want something entirely new no matter what gets lost in the process. The hell with the replicators, their story was weak anyway, the human form that is cause the generic ones were awesome right? While at it, to reflect the times, lets change Egypt by Iraq and the great pyramid by the ziggurat of Ur, not the air force but the marines, replace Ra by Anu. Same stuff just different. Might as well tell J.J. Abrams to erase the Borg from Startrek canon, they are so predictable after all.

The Ancients were only really began as an ongoing mystery. Once the mystery of who they were was solved then the show kinda lost something. SGU regained it with the mystery of where Destiny was going and why. That level of long running mystery isn't really needed in a film series. You can condense that all into Ra's race. Perhaps have the notion of other races who pretended to be other Gods, like the Asgard and the Norse religion. You can still get a sense of mystery, but in a film series it's better to keep things simple. The stargate's for example will probably end up being an invention of Ra's race, and so they should be in this case. It helps to easily demonstrate the technological power that Ra has and helps create an enemy that seems far beyond us.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Ancients are part of the story. Overpowered yes but still better than the goa'uld as the top race of the galaxy. If you want to get rid of them in the reboot, might as well get rid of Destiny, Atlantis and the jumpers too. Almost all the tech was derived from them.
            That's pretty much my point.

For me, a return to a simpler Stargate story is part of my excitement. Real world level tech vs aliens of immeausurable power. I didn't much LIKE the uber advanced tech that Stargate Command ended up with. It was far *too* spacey wacey for me. For me Stargate was about aliens posing as ancient gods, disguising technology as magic, and the real world military with real world tech levels in opposition. Hence why my favourite SG-1 is S1-6, and SGU is so dear to me. Sure in the latter they were ON an advanced ship, but we were back to run of the mill humans with run of the mill weapons. Perfect! Stargate should be about wonder, about how tiny we are in the galaxy and how much is out there for us to see. SG-1 S1-6 & SGA S1knew that (Torment of Tantalus, Crystal Skull, The Fifth Race), and SGU knew that. But SG1 S7-AoT, as well as SGA 2-5? We were the big boys, with zippy ships, there WAS no wonder to the universe any more. It had gotten old.

I'll say this, The Lost city was perfect. If you could have bolted that on to the end of S6 as a movie (as was planned), I'd have been happy with SG1 ending there and the reigns being handed over to Atlantis fully... but instead it was milked. The problem is, The Lost City was always meant to be a finale... what comes after the finale is *never* as interesting, because a threshold is reached.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Well i think that if you're going to watch the Reboot you'll be sorely, sorely disappointed. They're rebooting. We can expect something like the original movie -but updated by 20 years of the maker's ideas and experiences-. As i pointed out, the movie doesn't explain an aweful lot about the various things. The Show filled in a TON of stuff.

The ancients may be cool in concept, but the whole deal just dried out over time. Ascension was probably the least interesting part about them. What's the point in showing so much power, yet doing absolutely nothing but noting how much power you have but not being able to use it? The whole idea of ascension in the show has basically been nothing but filler and some, what, 3 Deus Ex Machina in the most literal form. Then the Asgard who started out cool, but have been suffering from the Ancients needing to be the top of the food chain despite it flying in the face of Tornment of Tantalus. things like the Nox and the Furlings just died out completely as storylines. You can't really blame the writers, but basically they were too uninteresting to write about.

For a movie, many of the choices made for the TV series are made moot. The stargate connecting to many gates, the time travel angle, the whole Goa'uld concept are things made to work for TV. Now, stuff just has to work for 3 movies rather than 300 episodes.

For me, a return to a simpler Stargate story is part of my excitement. Real world level tech vs aliens of immeausurable power. I didn't much LIKE the uber advanced tech that Stargate Command ended up with. It was far *too* spacey wacey for me.
              My threshold was hit later ( i thought the spaceships were fine) but yea, the same here. We reached the top of the food chain, and not the goa'uld-level foodchain but that of the Asgard and the Ancients. I'm sorry but 10 years to be declared a Fifth Race is just ridiculous, no matter how full-circle the whole thing was.

Now, after almost 20 years we can go back and say, "knowing these 17 years of the series, what would we have done differently?". And in my mind, the Stargate would be the first to suffer my Retcon hammer. I liked SGU's version of the gate MUCH better and found both the remote, the Kino and the limited range to be FAR more interesting than SG1's version of events. I full well know why they did it. But i think i mentioned it here, or another related thread. I can't watch much SG1 anymore, because it looks dated. My memories of episodes are a lot fonder than the actual episodes themselves.

Comment

I for one would like to see the Furlings. They are the only one of the Four Great Races we never see. No idea for storyline, just a random thought.

I'm still of mixed feelings regarding a reboot, but I felt the same way about the recent ST movies before I went to see them (and loved 'em both).
                Monica Zelenka lover since 2004! RDA fan since 1985! Lorne fan since 2003!
                sigpic
                Lady Pandora
                Atlantis Series: Retrospective Ruminations Unexpected

Comment

That's pretty much my point.

For me, a return to a simpler Stargate story is part of my excitement. Real world level tech vs aliens of immeausurable power. I didn't much LIKE the uber advanced tech that Stargate Command ended up with. It was far *too* spacey wacey for me. For me Stargate was about aliens posing as ancient gods, disguising technology as magic, and the real world military with real world tech levels in opposition. Hence why my favourite SG-1 is S1-6, and SGU is so dear to me. Sure in the latter they were ON an advanced ship, but we were back to run of the mill humans with run of the mill weapons. Perfect! Stargate should be about wonder, about how tiny we are in the galaxy and how much is out there for us to see. SG-1 S1-6 & SGA S1knew that (Torment of Tantalus, Crystal Skull, The Fifth Race), and SGU knew that. But SG1 S7-AoT, as well as SGA 2-5? We were the big boys, with zippy ships, there WAS no wonder to the universe any more. It had gotten old.

I'll say this, The Lost city was perfect. If you could have bolted that on to the end of S6 as a movie (as was planned), I'd have been happy with SG1 ending there and the reigns being handed over to Atlantis fully... but instead it was milked. The problem is, The Lost City was always meant to be a finale... what comes after the finale is *never* as interesting, because a threshold is reached.
                  Nicely said, although, the Lost City was the S7 finale, not the S6 finale. But I agree with everything you said. The writers-producers burned off a lot of good ideas while producing SG-1 and SGA back-to back and by SGA S4, they ran out of good ideas. The Ori, for one, could've easily fit into SGA in my opinion and could've made the series (even) more interesting in S5.

Comment

Originally posted by Mnikolic View Post
                    Nicely said, although, the Lost City was the S7 finale, not the S6 finale. But I agree with everything you said. The writers-producers burned off a lot of good ideas while producing SG-1 and SGA back-to back and by SGA S4, they ran out of good ideas. The Ori, for one, could've easily fit into SGA in my opinion and could've made the series (even) more interesting in S5.
                    Oh I know, but originally it was meant to be a movie following S6 as opposed to an S7 finale. I think that would have worked better (I found most of S7 rather lame). Glad you agree though.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Strange. I just looked over at GW website and you're right about Lost City being pushed back a year due to S7 pickup. Man, the writers-producers sure weren't lucky with their plans...

Anyway, if they'd conclude SG-1 with the 7th season and a movie, I think both SGA and SGU could've easily lasted long enough so they'd actually have their stories concluded as the writers-producers intended it.

Comment

None of the enemies from the series. Other than that, not sure.
                        sigpic
                        Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Noticed someone mentioning that they STILl wanna findout about the Furlings. This new Stargate-based game will show them, in a plot in which the goa'uld steal most of their tech from them. http://www.systemlords.com
                          If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
                          [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

Originally posted by StargateWatcher View Post
                            Noticed someone mentioning that they STILl wanna findout about the Furlings. This new Stargate-based game will show them,
                            nope

Comment

I'm seriously questioning if people even read my original post. Barely anyone has actually replied to the topic of discussion and I'm surprised no administration has moved their posts to the threads they should be in. Arghhh lol

Comment

Originally posted by tomaso88 View Post
                                I'm seriously questioning if people even read my original post. Barely anyone has actually replied to the topic of discussion and I'm surprised no administration has moved their posts to the threads they should be in. Arghhh lol
                                i did read and reply properly

Comment

Working...
                                X