This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aesop View Post
    Agreed, Pratt's about 10 years too young to play O'Neil. Jeremy Renner's a better pick for that one. Galecki's not bad for Jackson but I would personally rather see someone like Martin Freeman in that role - but that's just me.
    Yea Jeremy Renner is a better pick. As to Jackson... i think Galecki could do it, but with his role in The Big Bang theory, i think people would get him across as TOO nerdy. Jackson was a nerd, but a "im really passionate about my job" nerd and not a "i play games / love D&D / socially awkward" nerd. I think Freeman... i don't know about freeman. He always has a bit of a homely man look. You know, like a hobbit .

You know, reading through IMDB pages... i would love to see a Nick Frost / Simon Pegg stargate movie. Simon Pegg as O'neill and Nick Frost as Daniel jackson and then... just let them have fun. Shawn of the Dead/Hot Fuzz/The end of the World were really really fun. A nice parody would be good.

(but as a non-serious, Wormhole Xtreme kind of way)

Comment

Yvonne Strahovski must be the next Sam Carter.

Comment

Carter didn't exist in the movie. Kawalski did though. So a new version of Carter could only happen if someone were to reboot SG1 -- and then I remember that one scene from episode 200 where they have the teen-version of SG1 ... mmm, better not.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
          Yea Jeremy Renner is a better pick. As to Jackson... i think Galecki could do it, but with his role in The Big Bang theory, i think people would get him across as TOO nerdy. Jackson was a nerd, but a "im really passionate about my job" nerd and not a "i play games / love D&D / socially awkward" nerd. I think Freeman... i don't know about freeman. He always has a bit of a homely man look. You know, like a hobbit .

You know, reading through IMDB pages... i would love to see a Nick Frost / Simon Pegg stargate movie. Simon Pegg as O'neill and Nick Frost as Daniel jackson and then... just let them have fun. Shawn of the Dead/Hot Fuzz/The end of the World were really really fun. A nice parody would be good.

(but as a non-serious, Wormhole Xtreme kind of way)
          As soon as you said Pegg/Frost I immediately thought of Wormhole Xtreme, haha.

I agree with your thoughts about Galecki, seeing him as Jackson would just seem too much like a typecast. It would be cool to see him in the Stargate franchise, but maybe in a different capacity. As far as Freeman, I had his portrayal of Dr John Watson in mind.

If not him though, perhaps Shia LaBeouf. Yeah, yeah, maybe that's a little cliché but I think he would do a great job combining intensity and comic relief (if that's even necessary for the new film). After seeing him in Lawless and Fury, I have a whole new respect for him as an actor.

Comment

I bought Stargate on iTunes and rewatched it for the first time in years.

Although I knew it was awesome, I had forgotten just how awesome it was.

Personally, I think it would be fantastic if Devlin and Emmerich went the road of a sequel instead of a reboot - it would be great to see Spader, Russell, Avital and the others return.

However, I understand why a reboot makes sense - and is necessary business wise.

Recasting?

Some mentioned in another thread that Jeremy Renner is too young to play O'Neil but Renner is the same age Russell was in 1994!!!

I think I'd prefer Joel Edgerton as O'Neil though.

Cillian Murphy would be a great Jackson - he is a little older than Spader was but he us young looking. If younger is important, one of the Glesson boys - Domhnall or Brian.

Sibylla Deen and Moran Atias were the only reasons to watch Tyrant (though they weren't in it enough to justify watching the rest of the painful mess ). Either one could play Sha'uri depending on which age suits. Atias would make a great villain too.

As to Ra? That has me stumped. Jaye Davidson has a very unique look.

The sequel novels kept with the Egyptian mythology as I remember, but I also recall Devlin saying the sequels would involve other mythologies too, like Norse, Greek, etc. - which I believe happened in the TV series (I'm only now getting to watch the TV franchise from the start.)

Comment

David Oyelowo would also be good as O'Neil and Lupita Nyong'o would be great as Sha'uri.

I was also thinking that neither O'Neil or Jackson both need to be male.

Angelina Jolie as O'Neil.

Or Lupita Nyong'o as Jackson (why not make the expert on Egypt an Africian?)

Emily Blunt as Jackson.

However, should either Jackson or O'Neil change genders there should't be any romance (no will they/won't they) - Jackson should still find love on Abydos and O'Neil should still be emotional wreck.

Comment

Oh, gender-change... now, that would be interesting but will probably never happen cause that mean a leading lady and we can't have that. [/end sarcasm]

Comment

I could see the Daniel Jackson character being interchangeable with gender - it might even be more interesting, but it seems like O'Neil's story would make less sense in the persona of a woman.

Comment

I could see the Daniel Jackson character being interchangeable with gender - it might even be more interesting, but it seems like O'Neil's story would make less sense in the persona of a woman.
                    I spent about five minutes typing out a response but it just vanished from my phone before I pressed submit

The short version is - I don't think that a female O'Neil should, could or would happen - just throwing out the idea that we should look beyond gender and "ethnic" background (or whatever it us called ).

I don't see how a female O'Neil makes "less sense" to the persona - the lose of a child affects father and mother/ real world US military and women? who cares? Stargate is a movie (and a fantasy at that) - story, characters and the best actors/actresses to bring them to life are what come first.
                    Last edited by I Am Not James Spader; 10 January 2015, 10:21 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Comment

Originally posted by I Am Not James Spader View Post
                      I spent about five minutes typing out a response but it just vanished from my phone before I pressed submit
                      I spent 15, then by accident pressed a link and now my reply is gone.

RAAHHHHH

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                        i spent 15, then by accident pressed a link and now my reply is gone.

Raahhhhh

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          Carter didn't exist in the movie. Kawalski did though. So a new version of Carter could only happen if someone were to reboot SG1 -- and then I remember that one scene from episode 200 where they have the teen-version of SG1 ... mmm, better not.
                          Well, in universe, Sam was involved in the Stargate program then, just not on screen in the movie. Having one of the scientists investigating the gate be named Samantha Carter would be a good way to pay homage to the rest of the franchise. I'm not saying it should be a major role, maybe even just have her be the person who dials the gate.

Comment

Originally posted by Starsaber View Post
                            Well, in universe, Sam was involved in the Stargate program then, just not on screen in the movie. Having one of the scientists investigating the gate be named Samantha Carter would be a good way to pay homage to the rest of the franchise. I'm not saying it should be a major role, maybe even just have her be the person who dials the gate.
                            I agree with you completely. The best case scenario would be accepting the TV shows as cannon, and leaving the main characters in the background, by referring to them, or mentioning what they did sometimes. Giving some of them a cameo, a few lines or even a bigger part in the franchise would be fantastic. But just leaving their names in the franchise would be at least something. That said, I do have to say, making Sam go from incredibly smart and important scientist to the person who only counts chevrons, and replaces an automatic system because "The SG teams like to know that there's a real person on the other end"(A quote from Harriman in Heroes Part 1) is a bit disrespectful if you ask me

Comment

Originally posted by I Am Not James Spader View Post
                              I don't see how a female O'Neil makes "less sense" to the persona - the lose of a child affects father and mother/ real world US military and women? who cares? Stargate is a movie (and a fantasy at that) - story, characters and the best actors/actresses to bring them to life are what come first.
                              Well, not to fall into the rut of "traditional gender roles" or "stereotypes", but O'Neil dealt with his grief very stoically. Like a military man would. That's not to say that women can't be stoic, but it's less likely and in some cases - especially in film if we're being honest - less believable. It seems like films portray even the toughest females as emotionally weaker than your average tough man (however unrealistic that may be).

I'm not saying I don't support a female version of O'Neil, it could easily be more compelling than a male version, but studios may be less likely to back something like that with a nine-figure budget if it's relying on a strong female lead. One of the unfortunate realities of the male-dominated culture we live in.

Comment

I'm not saying I don't support a female version of O'Neil, it could easily be more compelling than a male version, but studios may be less likely to back something like that with a nine-figure budget if it's relying on a strong female lead. One of the unfortunate realities of the male-dominated culture we live in.
                                Word.

Comment

Working...
                                X