Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To settle all arguments

Eigth and ninth chevrons

The eigth chevron dials a different galaxy. The galaxy symbol goes at the start of the address (e.g. Atlantis is in the Pegasus galaxy, the Pegasus symbol is at the start of the address). The logical extention of this is that the ninth chevron dials a differnet galactic cluster, and the ninth chevron comes at the start of an address.

Difference between a hyperdrive and an FTL drive

A hyperdrive allows you to move through sub-spacetime, which is faster than moving through normal spacetime. An FTL drive creates a spacetime "wave" that propels the space that you occupy through spacetime (like driving a car. The car is moving but you aren't.). THIS DOES NOT BREAK RELATIVITY!!! Search "Alcubierre drive" for more info.

How do DESTINY stargates work?

I don't know. The best theories that I have heard are that it is a co-ordinate reference or a system where each gate has a code (like a barcode or ISBN number) and the gate dials the code.

Why does the Destiny gate only have a limited range?

Not because it's an earlier model. It's because the Destiny will only supply a certain amount of power to the gate, so it has a limited range.

Why can't the Destiny gate dial while in FTL?

(See above for how an FTL drive works) Because a wormhole would break the spacetime wave and probably destroy the Destiny.

Please post any more issues that you are unclear on, and I will do my best to resolve them.

When the Iris opens.. where does it go?

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
      Attached Files

Comment

How is there a thump against the iris when someone hits it, when that person is still just a bunch of unassembled energy?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by min min light View Post
          How is there a thump against the iris when someone hits it, when that person is still just a bunch of unassembled energy?
          because there is a small gap between the iris and the wormhole, so a thin sheet of matter can materialise.

Comment

Because the energy hits the iris and is dissapated as vibrations that we percieve as sound.

Comment

The iris prevents molecular reconstruction, that means not even molecules are able to form between it and the event horizon. So the thud can't possibly be any actual material making contact, if anything it's a production goof.

Comment

And it's one big thud, too - it's not lots of tiny dings like rain on a tin roof. It's more like a giant bird hitting a window.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tpn View Post
                  because there is a small gap between the iris and the wormhole, so a thin sheet of matter can materialise.
                  You didn't answer my question

I can't ask any more until you do.. *points to list*

Comment

I think maybe this answer was meant for you?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                      Ummm i watched it one day as i was to puzzled by this, it seems to be to big to fit in the space its given, even if it does swish round

http://scifi.stackexchange.com/quest...ate-retract-to
                      sigpic

Comment

The eigth chevron dials a different galaxy. The galaxy symbol goes at the start of the address (e.g. Atlantis is in the Pegasus galaxy, the Pegasus symbol is at the start of the address).
                        Maybe. Yes, Atlantis's address does begin with the "Pegasus" Glyph. However, it worth noting that the Pegasus Dwarf Irregular Galaxy is not the only galaxy in the constellation Pegasus - it shares that part of the sky with the Pegasus Dwarf Spheroidal Galaxy.

I'm not necessarily saying that I disagree with you, just that it may be more complicated that "galaxy code." E.g., the first glyph could identify a general direction, while the rest of the address fine-tunes the direction and sets the distance.

On a side note, for all we know, an 8-chevron address could cover an entire dwarf galaxy, rather than the smaller regions coded by 7-chevron addresses.

The logical extention of this is that the ninth chevron dials a differnet galactic cluster, and the ninth chevron comes at the start of an address.
                        I used to be one of the most vocal advocates of this view (or at least a similar one). However, the more I look at Stargate Universe, the more I think that this position has been repudiated by the show.

Also, this:

aaroNIGHTS writes: “How was a standard Stargate located at Icarus Base able to locate and dial Destiny? [...] How was it possible for a standard Stargate to make these calculations in order to connect to the Stargate aboard Destiny? How could the standard Stargate used possibly begin to know where Destiny could be?”

Answer: Given he fact that Destiny has been on the move for as long as it has, dropping in and out of FTL over the course of its lengthy journey, a MUCH greater distance than the effects of stellar drift, it’s clear that the onus on recalibrating the destination gate rests with Destiny once its particular address is dialed. While the address dialed may remain consistent the gates location is not.
                        -

A hyperdrive allows you to move through sub-spacetime, which is faster than moving through normal spacetime. An FTL drive creates a spacetime "wave" that propels the space that you occupy through spacetime (like driving a car. The car is moving but you aren't.). THIS DOES NOT BREAK RELATIVITY!!! Search "Alcubierre drive" for more info.
                        On a side note, Alcubierre drives still allow time travel.

If anything gets from point A to point B faster than a beam of light could, there is at least one valid frame of reference where that thing has traveled back in time. Because no valid frame of reference is preferred over any other, if something can travel back in time in one valid frame of reference, it can travel back in time in any valid frame of reference (though this might require skilled piloting).

Why does the Destiny gate only have a limited range?

Not because it's an earlier model.
                        You should probably read this:

AaronNiGHTS writes: “Why were Destiny and the seeder ships launched with prototype Stargates? Why would such a great and long mission be placing possibly millions of Stargates that are an inferior, prototype model?”

Answer: Because, clearly, that’s what they were working with at the time.
                        And this:

There has been some concern among fans of the two previous series that because Universe is set on a ship they won’t be using the Stargate, can you reassure fans on this issue?

Brad Wright: In either SG1 or Atlantis, not every show was a “going through the stargate adventure”, it just wasn’t. I would argue that the balance of episodes when we go through a Stargate on an adventure is probably the same as the other two series. It’s too cool a story telling device not to use.

Robert Cooper: And this stargate in my opinion the coolest one.

Wright: Yes, it’s not a new stargate it is in fact a very old stargate, it’s the prototype.

Cooper: And a rotary dial version (laughs).

Wright: It has a limited range, a far more limited range than the Milky Way or Pegasus Galaxy stargates. For example, if the Destiny is travelling through a galaxy it can’t go anywhere in that galaxy, it can only go within a limited range, that’s why they put it on a ship, so as it moves through the galaxy it can move across it and explore stargates that have been seeded by other ships prior to the launch of the Destiny who knows how many hundreds of years before.
                        Conversely, there is this:

4. Three part question:a.) Does Destiny’s gate physically have a limited range?

b.) Is Destiny’s gate range a power issue?

c.) Is Destiny’s gate locked out of some gates, and it’s range purposely limited by a computer program?”

Answer: yes, Destiny’s gate does have a limited range (as opposed to the far greater range of the Milky Way and Pegasus gates). This is why, often, only a handful of planets are within range when the ship drops out of FTL. Although we have yet to officially establish why this is so, it stands to reason that it is a power issue rather than any programmed attempt to limit gate access.
                        Of course, Destiny can still charge its reserves up to about 40% ("Water"), and 100% was supposed to be able to get them back to Earth at some point in Destiny's journey (and probably not just the first day/week/year), so there has to be something more than power keeping them from dialing other Stargates in the same galaxy.

Because the energy hits the iris and is dissapated as vibrations that we percieve as sound.
                        My gut tells me that this is very close to the right answer, but the rest energy of a human being (~50kg) is roughly equivalent to a gigaton of TNT, so the fact that the west coast of the U.S. isn't vaporized every time something hits the iris suggests that something more is going on.
                        "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                        - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                        - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                        - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Oh yay, another thread for arguing over fictional non-science. Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                            My gut tells me that this is very close to the right answer, but the rest energy of a human being (~50kg) is roughly equivalent to a gigaton of TNT, so the fact that the west coast of the U.S. isn't vaporized every time something hits the iris suggests that something more is going on.
                            I would assume it is either a case of the atoms falling back into the wormhole, or the matter re-integrates as radiation with mass (IE, alpha particles). A gigaton of TNT would make a person impacting the iris kinda like a small LHC collision.

Comment

I think they made the iris mechanics similar to the mechanics of the helmet that the Horus guards wearing. That's why it can retract to so tiny a space. It's just my speculation.
                              sigpicHallowed are the Ori.

Comment

Working...
                              X