Ideas/brainstorming for a new Stargate spinoff/reboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
    whatever drugs you're on, can i have some?
    Yeah its gotta be said I thought that post was a bit weird too.

Comment

One thing I've learned from this thread is that I would be more interested in a sci-fi show with a central mystery, than a sci-fi show where they just fight the big bad. But I'd want it to be a mystery with actual clues and reveals, not a phony bag of tricks like Lost.
      sigpic

Comment

If a completely new series was made and it had nothing to do with Sg-1, SGA, SGU timeline then to be honest I would like to see something set much..much..much earlier.

Stargate: Origin.
        A prequel series to Stargate where we follow the Ancients. It can start off on their home world wherever the heck that is and tell the story of their journey explaining why they left their world and settled on Earth, why they created Destiny and sent it off in to space then began creating the second generation of Stargates and plonking them around the Milkyway, who they met while doing that, then at the end of the story..the final few episodes show them build Atlantis and head off to Pegasus...and that obviously leads us to the world of Stargate as we currently know it from the movie and SG-1.

The Ancients didn't start off with all this advanced technology and we know Atlantis was build waaaaay after Destiny and Destiny when compared to Atlantis isn't that advanced so whatever ships they had when they left their home world must have been pretty basic and not very advanced and the rest of their technology must have been quite basic and I am pretty interested to know why they left their home world and why they never returned (as far as we know)..must have been a pretty good reason. I would like to watch this story

I think a prequel series would work quite well.

Comment

Originally posted by maxrpg View Post
          If a completely new series was made and it had nothing to do with Sg-1, SGA, SGU timeline then to be honest I would like to see something set much..much..much earlier.

Stargate: Origin.
          A prequel series to Stargate where we follow the Ancients. It can start off on their home world wherever the heck that is and tell the story of their journey explaining why they left their world and settled on Earth, why they created Destiny and sent it off in to space then began creating the second generation of Stargates and plonking them around the Milkyway, who they met while doing that, then at the end of the story..the final few episodes show them build Atlantis and head off to Pegasus...and that obviously leads us to the world of Stargate as we currently know it from the movie and SG-1.

The Ancients didn't start off with all this advanced technology and we know Atlantis was build waaaaay after Destiny and Destiny when compared to Atlantis isn't that advanced so whatever ships they had when they left their home world must have been pretty basic and not very advanced and the rest of their technology must have been quite basic and I am pretty interested to know why they left their home world and why they never returned (as far as we know)..must have been a pretty good reason. I would like to watch this story
          So basically the same as me then lol

Comment

lol yes I guess so

I like your idea of time travel.. A modern day exploration team some how gets sent back in time (waaay back) and end up on a really distant planet and after a while realise they have no way to get home so they settle on this planet for a while maybe a few generations then something happens that causes them to leave so they build a ship and head back to earth...when they get there they realise just how far back in time they were sent and there is no hope of them ever returning to their own time....as a twist to whole story it could turn out that they are in fact the people we now know as the Ancients.

Comment

Originally posted by maxrpg View Post
              lol yes I guess so

I like your idea of time travel.. A modern day exploration team some how gets sent back in time (waaay back) and end up on a really distant planet and after a while realise they have no way to get home so they settle on this planet for a while maybe a few generations then something happens that causes them to leave so they build a ship and head back to earth...when they get there they realise just how far back in time they were sent and there is no hope of them ever returning to their own time....as a twist to whole story it could turn out that they are in fact the people we now know as the Ancients.
              Destiny would of course be the perfect way of delivering this story line.. In Ancient mythology (by this I mean the mythology in the ancients time not ours) describes a ship that came from a far away planet with the ancestors being carried in stasis and being stranded on a planet when the ship created a wormhole that was struck by a solar flare sending the entire ship back millions of years. The crew settle and literally become the start of "The Ancients". The tale is of course recorded on a kino and kept recorded for millions of years - the 9th chevron and Destiny being created specifically for the purpose of ensuring their own destiny and creation. The ancients never dialled Destiny or worried about it because they knew that as long as they built it and lauched it, the future was guaranteed to happen as its been recorded already in their history. The radiation signature thing being left on board on purpose to ensure that Rush would keep the crew onboard to complete the mission and ensure they reach the Lanteans homeworld.

This would then be a plausible reason for the ancients never interfering or helping (except the odd nudge) as they can't interfere with our events for fear of screwing up their own creation. Once they witness Destiny going back in time / seeding their own race they are no longer at risk and can in theory become involved with the lower plane again - returning to earth even.

Sounds plausible and bonkers at the same time but we've seen other time travel plots with Weir herself going back to the Ancients.

Comment

That works for me as an ending.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by min min light View Post
                  That works for me as an ending.
                  To finish it off nicely, the Destiny crew could enter stasis (eg Destiny actually landed on the planet) after spawning the next generation telling the next generation that they must be sent home at the right time. The ship is maintained by each successive generation who periodically launch it for a recharge at the local star before bringing it back again.

This continues for generations until the Ancients leave the homeworld and start making their way across the universe on the journey to find 'Earth'. With each move, they take Destiny with them (so they know where they're going) and over the course of millions of years, they've worked their way back to earth with Destiny (and their own ships - a convoy) and the crew in 'Hyper stasis" - a form of total suspended animation where they are actually dead but preserved (instead of alive with a very slow metabolism as the other stasis chambers do). Destiny is landed on Mars and a human face built over it (ties in nicely with all the photos of that we've seen over the years in real life).

When the time comes that the distant Destiny is sent back in time, a few moments pass and the destiny on Mars powers up and activates a subspace beacon that Atlantis picks up. Atlantis is launched to detect this subspace beacon coming from Mars and find themselves greeted by the site of the human face on mars crumbling. Destiny is launching and entering orbit right infront of their eyes. Atlantis (to the amazement of McKay and others) sends automated landing instructions to Destiny which then enters through the shield and lands on one of the piers.

Not realising what destiny is or who is onboard, the Atlantis personnel board the ship to investigate. They explore the barely lit ship seeing remnants of SGC equipment and uniforms scattered around the recreation area. Confused, they finally make their way to the stasis pods where they find the Icarus personnel. They reanimate the personnel who share their take of millions of years of space travel, seeding the Ancients, being periodically awoken by them, flown across the universe, watching the 'new' destiny being built and launched (with the help of Dr Rush who designs the radiation clues himself to catch his own attention) and then entering hyperstasis for the last time just before the ship is secured on the mars.

Destiny is now not only the original millions of years old, it's also gone back in time millions of years before its own creation, been preserved for more millions of years, and finally flown back across the universe over millions of years by the ancients taking the same route / path that it took on its outward journey before being safely landed on Mars.

Meanwhile, as things are getting back to normal for Destinys crew who are now back home, we go back in time once more to the ancients and continue to follow their story. The ancients have to outwit their enemies, fight for survival, develop new technology etc all to ensure their own creation by a future generation.

Comment

This ending doesn't work. It's already been established in numerous episodes across all three series that predestined temporal paradoxes don't occur. "Twin Destinies" is a perfect example of this. Also, the Destiny can't be the origin of the Ancients. Are we forgetting that the Ancients came from another galaxy where they split off from the Ori?

Comment

How about one that instead of the human characters, focuses on the Gates themselves as the main elements of the show? Like anthropomorphised talking Stargates. Obviously they can't move and are generally on their own so it would be a lot of Samuel Beckett-esque monologues. I mean the playwright, not Scott Bakula! Like a Stargate must have seen a lot of crazy jazz going down over the centuries and they're such sophisticated devices I wouldn't be surprised if they have developed their own organic intelligence. The ephemeral struggles between the organic races of the Gakaxy must just be a distraction. It would add a cool philosophical-existential aspect to the series IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                        This ending doesn't work. It's already been established in numerous episodes across all three series that predestined temporal paradoxes don't occur. "Twin Destinies" is a perfect example of this. Also, the Destiny can't be the origin of the Ancients. Are we forgetting that the Ancients came from another galaxy where they split off from the Ori?
                        +1000

Comment

I like it so I'll handwave the continuity problems. Of course if whoever owns SGU wants to bother giving me a real ending, I'll ditch this one.
                          sigpic

Comment

As much as I would like to see SGU finished I really am not sure MGM will be interested. I would think that if we were to see more Stargate then it would be a total reboot with less of the cheeseiness of SG-1 (I loved all stargate). But thats my feeling.

Personally if I was doing a reboot this would be my idea.

During an experdition mapping the antartic ice they discover on scans a platform and ruins under the ice. This platfork turns out to be a sort of ring system and when they work out how to activate it a team goes through and find themselves in an almost empty massive room (like a hanger) at one end there are instument panels and a door and in the empty space in the middle are round markings on the floor with a radius of a good 20 meters.

The walls are just a shinny black and there are no signs of age, no blemishes nothing its all pitch black apart from the tourches they have. The door is powered so will not open.

more teams are sent as they can not get a signal in or out to determine where on earth they are. the air is getting thinner. Another team manages to link up a basic power supply into the consol and it kind of jump starts the sytems. the place lights up and display screens that couldnt even be seen in the walls light up with info. on one of the screens it displays earth in real time and starts highlighting info like population and cities temps and the makeup of the atmosphere. It also shows the moon and seems to indicate a masive under ground base, it indicates that this is where they are.

Through the door it leads to the rest of the base (we can investigate that later)

Teams investigate the systems and wire up to the systems and experts begin fidling to hack in. Whilst this is going on a team with a kind of Daniel Jackson are investigating the ring markings on the floor and trying to work out the writing around it. all of a sudden the guys weh are hacking the system stumble into something in the system and activate what turns out to be the gate. the team in the ring marking on the floor try to run but a ring of floor around the ring they are standing on begins to spin and then raises 4 foot in the air and a giant dome shapped puddle opens around them and above. the rings drop to the floor and the puddle drops flat agains the floor and the team in the middle are gone.

I would get them back fairly quickly but from this breakthrough they have managed to get into the sytems and then the stargate program is born. Equipment and personel are transported to the moon SGC through the rings in antartica and then the gate on the moon is used (its big enough to send a tank (later on an armed reserch truck through so that they have a kind of mobile base with supplys.

The door leads into a kind o

Comment

This ending doesn't work. It's already been established in numerous episodes across all three series that predestined temporal paradoxes don't occur.
                              Care to explain this a bit more and give me an example?

"Twin Destinies" is a perfect example of this.
                              Twin destinies was a perfect example of how people could be sent back in time to spawn a new generation of people. You've not forgotten the Novan people have you? - Although I know you weren't keen on watching all of SGU previously, I'd hope you've seen this episode as I clearly told you season 2 was superior to season 1 and those episodes prove that it could happen.

Also, the Destiny can't be the origin of the Ancients. Are we forgetting that the Ancients came from another galaxy where they split off from the Ori?
                              No.. but the Ancients / Lanteans as a civilisation are millions of years old and could have scattered across many galaxies before coming to earth. Just because they were in another galaxy before they split, doesn't mean that they weren't in many other galaxies in their past too.

For all we know, their main purpose / goal as a civilisation may have been to find Earth itself so that they could be guaranteed that their species would survive by having the knowledge that they would lead enough scattered tech around that humans would later evolve, find atlantis, bring it back and then manage to dial destiny thus sending the very seeds of their species to the ship that will fulfill it's purpose millions of years into the past.

It's also odd how the Atlantis database never has a great deal of information about anything useful - almost as if it was wiped of anything that could potentially give the game away but enough being left to keep the Atlantis personnel on the right track.

While I agree it's not great, somehow humans / ancients in theory would need to evolve naturally I like the idea of the ancients being created by us and then silently setting us up to create them while refusing to help knowing that we'll get there anyway because their very existence has guaranteed it.

Morgan Le Fay herself said that when they returned to earth, they scattered the seeds of life on earth and that it was primitive. How do we know that those primitive people were not the start of us / the ancients? - We don't. They may have been the natural evolution from monkey to human that started us all off in the first place which then millions of years into our future (or in this case our past) sees the human race evolve into ancients.

This would explain why they dislike dealing with other species / planes of existence for fear of screwing it up before destiny drops its payload on the correct planet. It would also explain why the seed ships are out there planting gates on every planet they can find and why destiny is then collecting data from the ships and the gates themselves via the live subspace connection - it's looking for THE planet that the ancients have recorded as being the home world.

I also like Initials idea though.. each stargate address can actually act as a switchboard for other subgates in each solar system. Now thats something I always wanted to see in each series but it never happened.

Comment

Stargate: Carebears.

They find out who the Furlings really are........

Comment

Working...
                                X