This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very stupid question about the event horizon

We all know that when something eneters the event horizon it turns to energy to be sent to the 2nd stargate.
    And also that the stargates are one way so you can only send matter through the stargate if you dial out.

This is my question if you put a whole arm (up to the shoulder) through the stargate one would you be able to move your arm? And secondly if you tried to pull your arm back through the gate to the side that you put it in through would it be destroyed.
    sigpic

answer 1:

your arm is in a "buffer", allowing blood to pass through your arm, allowing you to move your arm. you could simply pull it out, as they did in SGU.

answer 2:

this is never made clear, but if we are to believe Mallozzi, your arm would move through the event horizon to the front. in other words: from the back the event horizon has no effect.

Comment

Not intending to hijack the thread, but I've always wondered what would happen if someone tripped on their way into an outgoing wormhole and fell headfirst through the event horizon but didn't completely enter it... wouldn't their upper-half dematerialize and thus they'd be unconscious and unable to "back out"?

Comment

Originally posted by Aesop View Post
        Not intending to hijack the thread, but I've always wondered what would happen if someone tripped on their way into an outgoing wormhole and fell headfirst through the event horizon but didn't completely enter it... wouldn't their upper-half dematerialize and thus they'd be unconscious and unable to "back out"?
        I believe Atlantis 38 minutes answered this. You don't demarterialize until the whole object is in the gate.
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

In SGA 38 minutes the bodies of the pilots completely dematerialize while inside a ship that isn't. I'd love to hear the writers response on that. As in why wouldn't the bodies just rematerialize independent of the ship when the gate shuts off? Is it because they are touching the ship? What if there isn't any artificial gravity and they were free-floating inside the ship before it went halfway through the gate? They were pretty convinced in the back half that the front people would die but logically why wouldn't the people just get spit out on the other side without the ship? Does the gate not determine that people and ships are completely separate things? If not then why don't people come through the gate integrated into the ships hardware? It would seem like they would have built in some type of safeguard against that.
          Last edited by terminator; 13 January 2012, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aesop View Post
            in season 1 of sg-1, teal'c is fighting with the gao'uld in kawalski, and he kills it by sticking his head in the open stargate, when they turned it off.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X