Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why so many German and French fanfilms? Why so few American ones?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hyndara71 View Post
    Completely disagree (once more) with you here.
    It seems more likely you completely misunderstood (once more) what has actually been said. The quote below from you supports my argument. I never said it was about fans wanting a piece of the franchise, I specifically argued against that.

There is nothing about "I want to be part of this franchise", it's more about "I want to do something I love to".

Comment

fan videos? i've never heard of those.

though i imagine that the people that do it, do it for fun not to make money. though it'll be cool if someone came up with a stargate one that becomes the next show
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzle foot View Post
        Same thing could be said for fan made doctor who films. I think it's because other countrys fans want a piece of it, and try and clame it for thereselves?
        more like add a piece to it and mainly because they love it. And if they are proud of adding that piece it's bad? why? Or now we are going to have restriction on who can like what?

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
          fan videos? i've never heard of those.

though i imagine that the people that do it, do it for fun not to make money. though it'll be cool if someone came up with a stargate one that becomes the next show
          indeed, I think for the most guys and gals they do it just for fun and because they love their show/franchise/movie whatever!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
            If it were simply a case of people from different nationalities wanting a piece of the franchise for themselves, then the disparity would be drawn along national lines, but it isn't. It's specifically non-English speaking countries that seem to have most of the fan films, not simply non-American ones.
            Ah, yes. Yeah, that was part of what made me start this thread. It's odd.
            Sincerely,

Kevin Long
            (The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0)
            http://www.kevin-long.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hyndara71 View Post
              Completely disagree (once more) with you here.
              I only can speak for Germany, maybe Belgium is a bit different, this BTW.

Personally I think the biggest problem is that we here don't have anything like Stargate, StarTrek, StarWars, Firefly, Dr. Who, etc. When you look back into time there was a short-living German Scifi-Show called "Space Patrol" back in the 1960ths. When you originally look more into this one you can see, there is STILL a very active fandom here in Germany - and in the 1990ths this community brought Space Patrol back into the minds - they did an original movie for the show which was planned to got a theatrical release, and also it was planned to do a modern time spinoff to that show. To be correct they put money into this spinoff and had already filmed one or two episodes BEFORE the network cancelled down everything. They got a DVD-release for that movie and now the stages are part of the "Bavaria movie Park" (here I'm not completely sure, sorry, I only know those stages are still existing and in one of these movie parks around Germany).

German TV (all networks) has a real problem with Scifi and/or Fantasy. I know there are some original scripts out there for movies and also for new shows but no network will greenlight them. At present we only have one (trash) Scifi-show out here, which airs on a dead timeslot and is more or less only produced by the PTB themselves and only at TV because it's more comedy than scifi and based on the books of an author who is hardly accepted as literature (besides the fact that the network is fighting its own image with this show). That's one show, one show in more then 20 years.

On the other hand we have a growing interest on scifi, fantasy and horror. I think Germany is one of the leaders when it comes to import from (especially the US) market for shows and also for books/novels. And there are lots of creative people out here, writers, actors, movie-makers, who are highly interested in doing scifi, fantasy and horror. But they don't get the money to make this.

There is nothing about "I want to be part of this franchise", it's more about "I want to do something I love to".
              Now that's interesting in a lot of different ways.

Firstly, why is German TV opposed to Science Fiction? I could understand it in a country like, say, Spain or New Zealand, since the shows are generally hugely expensive and you've got a comparatively small demographic that's interested in such things. In the case of Germany, though, the country has a fairly large population, a well-known love affair with science and technology, and despite there being a American flags on the moon, it was mostly Germans who put 'em there. (And put the Russians in space as well). The idea that Germans wouldn't be interested in SF is stunning to me. The idea that German networks would *think* Germans aren't interested in SF (Assuming Germans really are interested in such things) is astounding to me.

Secondly: Why Stargate, and not some other foreign franchise? Is it because it's fairly cheap? Because 50 or so US military bases in Germany make it fairly easy to come across uniforms and props? Or is there something else that causes the appeal? And while on the subject, the films I've seen generally seem to be Germans pretending to be Americans, though the 'Gate franchise makes it clear there are international teams in the SGC. Why not "The Adventures of SG-27," or some other group, who happen to be German?

Thirdly: I know you said you could only speak for Germany, but you've got me wondering how Germany and France ended up doing the same thing, and if they ended up coming to it by different roads.
              Sincerely,

Kevin Long

Comment

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post
                indeed, I think for the most guys and gals they do it just for fun and because they love their show/franchise/movie whatever!
                Well, in the 'States fanfilms tend to get made (A) because they're fun and interesting to do, (B) because we've got these childish notions about playing Captain Kirk (or whomever) and (C) because our favorite franchise is dead, and it's a way to keep the flag flying.
                Sincerely,

Kevin Long

Comment

I'll try to get this conversation going again now that the holidays are over. This is directed at Hyndara 71:

Now that's interesting in a lot of different ways.

Firstly, why is German TV opposed to Science Fiction? I could understand it in a country like, say, Spain or New Zealand, since the shows are generally hugely expensive and you've got a comparatively small demographic that's interested in such things. In the case of Germany, though, the country has a fairly large population, a well-known love affair with science and technology, and despite there being a American flags on the moon, it was mostly Germans who put 'em there. (And put the Russians in space as well). The idea that Germans wouldn't be interested in SF is stunning to me. The idea that German networks would *think* Germans aren't interested in SF (Assuming Germans really are interested in such things) is astounding to me.

Secondly: Why Stargate, and not some other foreign franchise? Is it because it's fairly cheap? Because 50 or so US military bases in Germany make it fairly easy to come across uniforms and props? Or is there something else that causes the appeal? And while on the subject, the films I've seen generally seem to be Germans pretending to be Americans, though the 'Gate franchise makes it clear there are international teams in the SGC. Why not "The Adventures of SG-27," or some other group, who happen to be German?

Thirdly: I know you said you could only speak for Germany, but you've got me wondering how Germany and France ended up doing the same thing, and if they ended up coming to it by different roads.
                  Sincerely,

Kevin Long

Comment

Working...
                  X