This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many species have gone extinct?

It like toward the end of SG-1 and Atlantis, several alien races went extinct. The Goa'uld System Lords are gone, but we can presume that the Goa'uld as a species will continue. The Tok'ra have no queen, so they'll die out eventually unless they can convince a Goa'uld queen to join them. SG-1 annihilation the Ori with Merlin's weapon, but this wasn't confirmed until Adria was confronted at Celestus. The Asgard died out when their planet exploded, they were thought to be extinct until a small faction was discovered in the Pegasus galaxy. The Asurans were also wiped out by a temporary Atlantis-Travelers-Wraith alliance. A few survived but ultimately ended up adrift in space. They were left intact, adrift in space, but we've seen an Asuran revived from a space-sleep before. Extinct?

Given that the Goa'uld and Tok'ra are technically the same species, we'll say... not extinct. The Pegasus Asgard allow the Asgard to survive. That just leaves the Ori and Asurans who were both homicidal on a galactic scale. Frankly, both had to go.

Did I leave anyone out? I'm leaving out the Replicators as there really weren't enough human-form replicators to constitute a people.

you got it for the end of the show, but during:

the tollans in i think season 4, most likely went instinct after the go'auld attacked to them.
    sigpic

Comment

Neither the Tollan nor Tok'ra are species.

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
        the tollans in i think season 4, most likely went instinct after the go'auld attacked to them.
        Oh, right, I forgot about the Tollans. Could they be extinct given that they were technically human? If extinction can apply to a culture instead of a species, then yeah... That episode was one of the low points in SG-1. I remember wondering how on Earth the SGC could hope to stop the Goa'uld if they can wipe out the Tollan.

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
        On the Tok'ra front, I pointed that out in my opening post.

Comment

If you class the Tok'ra and Goa'uld as one and the same, as well as the Asgard from the different galaxies, shouldn't the Ori and the Ancients be the same too?

And how can you really make the distinction between whether or not they are still the same species? Even with the Tollan/humans. Most of the human species the SGC has encountered originate from Earth. But it's been thousands of years since they left and presumably they've slowly evolved and their DNA, morphology and ecological niches have changed as well. As far as we know there aren't any Tau'ri who've successfully produced fertile offspring with any of the alien humans or other species out there (or tried and failed), so it's really difficult to define the different species here.
          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

It is highly unlikely that off world humans have developed into species incapable of producing fertile offspring. We're talking a few thousand years of seperation. It is possible that some other planets have crazy diseases that particular genes associated with x chromosome might help with allowing natural selection to favor those with abnormal x chromosome. Over time this could drive a seperate species over millions of years.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
              Oh, right, I forgot about the Tollans. Could they be extinct given that they were technically human? If extinction can apply to a culture instead of a species, then yeah... That episode was one of the low points in SG-1. I remember wondering how on Earth the SGC could hope to stop the Goa'uld if they can wipe out the Tollan.

On the Tok'ra front, I pointed that out in my opening post.
              The Tollan sat on their laurels hoping those cannons would allow them to be neutral in MW affairs. In the long run, that was a poor strategy. Had they shared that tech, there could have been a dozen of those cannons on prommy = no goul'd.

Comment

i agree its hard to say rather or not the tollans are different species or not. but i was just naming a group of people, and yeah there culture was destroyed.
                sigpic

Comment

The Tollan sat on their laurels hoping those cannons would allow them to be neutral in MW affairs. In the long run, that was a poor strategy. Had they shared that tech, there could have been a dozen of those cannons on prommy = no goul'd.
                  The Prometheus wasn't launched until over a year later.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                    The Prometheus wasn't launched until over a year later.
                    But it was being built...It certainly could have potentially at least considered.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X