Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would happen if you enter the event horizon of the gate from the opposite side

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would happen if you enter the event horizon of the gate from the opposite side

I have long since wondered, what would happen if one were to try to enter the event horizon of the Stargate from the opposite side? Would you just pass right through as if nothing happened, or...? I'm sure this has been addressed in at least one episode, and I just must not have been paying attention, but it really does make me wonder..

Teal'c mentioned in one episode that a Jaffa once tried to enter it from the opposite side and what happened was "most unpleasant".

Comment

Originally posted by CompanionCube View Post
      Teal'c mentioned in one episode that a Jaffa once tried to enter it from the opposite side and what happened was "most unpleasant".
      that was from a book not an episode. JM mentioned on his blog that if you do so you just come out the front. http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...h-the-mailbag/

Comment

Hmm, Mallozzi said something strange, though.

Another similar question I get asked is “What happens if you enter an incoming wormhole?” The answer – You’ll be spat back out at a speed relative to that at which you entered it.
        Personally I think that it wouldn't actually be an event horizon, and the gate deconstructs you as you step into the circle and transmits the data (which makes 48 Hours make sense) This would only happen if the gate was active (and transmitting), so if the wormhole was incoming you'd just pass right through. Maybe that's what Mallozzi meant. This would also mean it doesn't matter which side you enter, too, which makes space gates feasible.

Comment

Originally posted by Inquisitor View Post

Personally I think that it wouldn't actually be an event horizon, and the gate deconstructs you as you step into the circle and transmits the data (which makes 48 Hours make sense) This would only happen if the gate was active (and transmitting), so if the wormhole was incoming you'd just pass right through. Maybe that's what Mallozzi meant. This would also mean it doesn't matter which side you enter, too, which makes space gates feasible.
          well im pretty sure the ancients would have means to stop people needlessly being killed if they used it wrong, or as much as they could possibly do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Inquisitor View Post

Seems logical.
            sigpic

Comment

I imagine you'd get de-materialized, but not sent anywhere.

Comment

this is a good question. Another one I've ponder is why the gate spins on the recieving end; locking in chevrons. So my point is this: if your gate shares some of the coordinates of another gate, say the first three, does your gate spin for 3 chevrons and then quite or what?

Comment

i think it "spins" for all of them. it is locking in the chevrons.

as for entering an incoming wormwhole, i always thought it would have a similar effect as walking into a woosh, you get incinerated. but i suppose you also just end up on the other side. all i know is i can see why no one would try it, maybe they don't know what would happen.
                  sigpic

Comment

If SGU was still active, I'd enjoy having curious Eli wonder what happens if you throw something through the other side (like a kino or something useless, not that kinos are useless).

Comment

Working...
                    X