This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the Gate

I have a very interesting question for the stargate. In Stargate Universe in the episode 'Water', at the end of the episode, when on Destiny they dialed the planet with the ice for drop off the bugs, Young said to them to shutdown the gate for they dial and come through. Why they must to dial the gate for come through? I mean why they couldn't come through when Destiny dialed the planet?

If I understand correctly than you'd like to know why they couldn't come through the gate when it was dialled on the Destiny... the answer is quite simple - the gate is one way. You leave from the end you dialled from.

So, you are at point A and want to go to point B, then you have to dial the gate at A to get to B, not the other way around (unless you want to go from B to A).
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony23310 View Post
        Thank you.
        No problem.

Comment

I've always wondered what would happen if you go through the gate the wrong way. Would you just walk through it and run into the green screen? or...
          sigpic
          Originally posted by dacooker
          The ships named Destiny for a reason....three years my friend, three years....

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
            I've always wondered what would happen if you go through the gate the wrong way. Would you just walk through it and run into the green screen? or...
            Funny you should say that... seeing as how Jack stuck his arm in once when he came through the keep the gate open... so you'd think you'd just run in though where you end up is a mystery.

In all likelihood, yes you'd run head first into the green screen.

Comment

I always thought you'd die or get something cut off, just like being hit by the kawoosh.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicated View Post
                I always thought you'd die or get something cut off, just like being hit by the kawoosh.
                Or simply disappear in the wormhole never to be seen again... all particle-ized.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicated View Post
                  ^this, i've always thought you'd get incinerated.

and i thought that when was it jack? put his arm though it was from an out going wormwhole?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
                    and i thought that when was it jack? put his arm though it was from an out going wormwhole?
                    Incoming cause he had just come from the planet where the NID was storing their stolen technology. Early seasons...

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      Incoming cause he had just come from the planet where the NID was storing their stolen technology. Early seasons...
                      He put his arm in to keep the wormhole open, yet Wormhole physics sugests that his plan should not have worked. (wormholes being a one way phenomenon) Quite simply, the wormhole does what the writers want it to do, Stargate is FULL of contradictions/plot holes, yet as a "fun scifi show", it's entirely forgivable.
                      sigpic
                      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Is it possible to exit im a place without an actual stargate as in 1969?
                        In that episode they appeared at the mountain where the stargate did not exist.
                        And if a stargate is dialed whereby an orbiting ship also has one, how does the wormhole know where to deposit you? On the ship or on the planet?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
                          Is it possible to exit im a place without an actual stargate as in 1969?
                          In that episode they appeared at the mountain where the stargate did not exist.
                          And if a stargate is dialed whereby an orbiting ship also has one, how does the wormhole know where to deposit you? On the ship or on the planet?
                          It depoists you wherever the gate is except in some time travel eps lol.

The gate only accepts matter in whole chunks so as long as you don't put your full body in you won't go anywhere. But I don't get how you can get your hand back in incoming wormhole.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
                            It depoists you wherever the gate is except in some time travel eps lol.

The gate only accepts matter in whole chunks so as long as you don't put your full body in you won't go anywhere. But I don't get how you can get your hand back in incoming wormhole.
                            But there was no gate in 1969 at the Mountain......and wasn't the apparent address derived in the parallel world for a goa'uld ship that could only be gated to if it were orbiting a world? And would the world and the ship have the same address?

Comment

They didn't gate to 1969 as a destination. The solar flares caused them to travel back in time and bring them back to Earth, so the moment they got out of the gate it was 1969 and thus there was no gate (making it disappear).

If a ship is in orbit of a planet with a gate, then the incoming wormhole will be directed towards the gate on the ship. If Klorel's ship hadn't been in orbit, SG-1 would have gated to the planet instead (same if Klorel's ship had been in orbit of a different planet).

And a gate with a DHD takes precedence over a gate with a dialing computer (like we've seen with the beta gate and the rogue team) when there are two gates on one planet, before you ask.
                              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Working...
                              X