This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
    but is not a fact that thr glyphs are supposed to represent constellations not random symbols. The fact is that the way the writers wrote SG-1 the glyphs might as well been the numbers 1-39.
    Well, yeah. That's kind of my point, isn't it?

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
    sigpic
    now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut975 View Post
      I had never realized that.....it makes sense from a storytelling perspective but it feels 'off' to me, makes it far too Earth-centric.

I had always figured that, since most of their travels were from Earth to Planet 'X' and then back again, all they would have to do is dial Planet X, arrive, and then when ready to return dial the Earth address. The DHD, 'remembering' where this last group had dialed from, would be able to send them back.

Feh, Science Fiction can be so tricky when factoring in actual Astronomy, lol.

I would chalk up any inconsistency to DHD awesomeness.....if leaving Earth for Planet X and back again, it's just a matter of reversing the gate to the location that they dialed from. If they had to, say, hop back and forth from Earth to Planets X, Y and Z and then back again, the DHD would be able to recognize the Earth address from the first sequence that they used at SGC and send them back with no issues.
      No, that doesn't work because the gates were meant to allow anyone to go anywhere, not just between two points. Think about that: if the gate can only dial the last address that dialed in, you'd have to have a separate gate for every pair of planets.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
      Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut975 View Post
        Yeah, that would complicate it......maybe there's something within the Gate that recognizes the physical make up of an individual.
        What purpose would that serve? An individual might want to go anywhere, not just where he or she came from.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
        Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
          No, that doesn't work because the gates were meant to allow anyone to go anywhere, not just between two points. Think about that: if the gate can only dial the last address that dialed in, you'd have to have a separate gate for every pair of planets.
          Originally posted by fems View Post
          Yep, Teal'c was once stuck in the gate's buffer. But what you're proposing still won't work with more than one person or if someone travels in between said person's arrival and departure.

Good points, like I said I'm definitely in need of a refresher course in basic Gate operations, the re-watch will take care of that nicely
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
            Well, yeah. That's kind of my point, isn't it?
            It makes the Stargate just Phonegate lol. I think it is still canon that the gate finds the other gate on the whole 6 constellations to find locations and the writers just didn't want to have different constellation symbols for each gate.

Comment

Working...
            X