This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Physics Thread

Hi all. I looked for a thread on stargate physics, but found none, so hear is the stargate physics thread. Do you think the stargate is possible. Will people be dematerialized and shot across the galaxy in the coming future? Is it even possible or is it all Psuedo - Science.

Post Here!

No, it's not science, it's science fiction. The whole concept of the wormhole travel is obscure and, pardon me, wrong in so many ways. I'm not an expert in physics but I am reasonably convinced human race is and will be forever confined to this planet (or this solar system, meaning the same in effect).

Comment

There's some theory on this subject, but it requires "stargates" that are a "little" bit bigger

I have a thread somewhere here where you can ask questions. Search for MrNuby and you'll find it.

Comment

dematerialisation is unlikely as heisenbergs uncertainty prnciple says that you cant positively identify every part of an atom.

quote from http://zebu.uoregon.edu/~imamura/208/jan27/hup.html

I cannot predict where a particle will be with 100 % certainty. I can only speak in terms of probabilities. For example, I can say that an atom will be at some location with a 99 % probability, but there will be a 1 % probability it will be somewhere else (in fact, there will be a small but finite probabilty that it will be found across the Universe). This is strange.

We do not know if this indeterminism is actually the way the Universe works because the theory of Quantum Mechanics is probably incomplete. That is, we do not know if the Universe actually behaves in a probabilistic manner (there are many possible paths a particle can follow and the observed path is chosen probabilistically) or if the Universe is deterministic in the sense that I can predict the path a particle will follow with 100 % certainty.

a bit in depth but you should get the drift

wormholes see http://abc.net.au/silversun/starrunner/space/

No one is sure if wormholes really exist but if they do we might be able to use them to travel huge distances through space. Space is big and getting anywhere takes a long time. Just to get from earth to the closest star outside our solar system would take more than 100,000 years in a rocket. A wormhole is a super fast way of travelling through space and can be thought of as a tunnel that provides a short cut across the universe. It has an entrance like a black hole that sucks things in at one end and an exit that pops things out somewhere in another part of the universe. It might even be possible for a wormhole to take you into a different universe. Don't pack your bags yet, there are lots of problems with wormhole travel not the least being as your body passed through it you would be fried to oblivion.
        gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
        love Torri

Comment

the thing is, the energy required to uhm, demolecularize would be very massive, and i mean yeah..massive on the planetary scale.

its not impossible, but its not probable anytime soon...

Daniel: No Jonas, I will NOT play pass the mustard with you.
          Jonas: What about pass the mayo?
          Daniel: ...okay, but dont tell Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by shinyredpants
            the thing is, the energy required to uhm, demolecularize would be very massive, and i mean yeah..massive on the planetary scale.

its not impossible, but its not probable anytime soon...
            weve only just mastered fission the best source of energy is nuclear fusion the one that takes place in the sun
            gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
            so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
            love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
              weve only just mastered fission the best source of energy is nuclear fusion the one that takes place in the sun
              Actually, the best possible source would be antimatter combined with normal matter. You'd get all the energy from that mass in the form of pure radiant energy. Finally a use for all that useless, non-fissionable, non-fusionable iron (Well, you can do it, but you lose energy)...

Comment

Fusion is about 10 times more powerful then Fission.
                Anti-Matter is 200-300 times more powerful then Fusion.
                Fusion leaves Iron as a byproduct.

That Iron can be used in many ways:

1. Build a Fusion reactor that dumps the Iron into a M/AM-Reactor. This reactor would bombard the iron with Anti-Proton, Positron and Anti-Neutrons)
                (Lets say there were 500g Iron)

The result would be a 20Mt explosion. Hiroshima was 15kt. So that would mean 500g iron + 500g anti-iron would be 1000 times more explosive then Heroshima.

Goa'uld weaponary has showed to have same firepower as a tomahawk.
                A Tomahawk can level a buildning(see Homecoming)
                A Tomahawk has 545kg explosives. that's *2 to get to one metric tonne.
                545*2=1t
                *1000=1kt
                *1000=Mt
                So two million Goa'uld Ha'tak bolts equal 500g Fe and 500g a-Fe.

And that anti matter doesn't have to be used to power a reactor, it could be feeded to the weapons system which would get a significant boost

2. Use the iron for railguns. Remake the four main missile launchers on the front and aft to 10 huge railguns which would tear through the Ha'taks. Or they could be launching smaller missiles like the Sind Winders.
                Last edited by aAnubiSs; 18 January 2005, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by id3372
                  Hi all. I looked for a thread on stargate physics, but found none, so hear is the stargate physics thread. Do you think the stargate is possible. Will people be dematerialized and shot across the galaxy in the coming future? Is it even possible or is it all Psuedo - Science.

Post Here!
                  Am I gonna need a P.H.D. to communicate in this thread?

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

or we can just dig up some naquadah/naquadriah from somewhere.
                    love Torri

Comment

"Hi all. I looked for a thread on stargate physics, but found none, so hear is the stargate physics thread. Do you think the stargate is possible. Will people be dematerialized and shot across the galaxy in the coming future? Is it even possible or is it all Psuedo - Science.

Post Here!"

Interesting question. As has been mentioned, no one knows whether wormholes even exist, and if they do, whether or not they would stay stable long enough (or even be large enough) for travel. We're a long, long, long way from wormhole travel-even if it is possible. But, it sure would be maginificent if it were (possible, that is).

As for Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, that's just one of many problems with dematerializing/rematerializing a human being.

UD'38
                      “He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that.” - John Stuart Mill

Comment

http://www.crystalinks.com/wormholes.html

Originally posted by Worm Holes
                        It is theoretically possible, although highly improbable that a worm hole could somehow be stabilized to allow safe passage through it. The only theoretical way this could be done that I was able to find involves using 'exotic matter', or matter unlike any we know, highly exotic matter. In order to stabilize the worm hole the throat of the singularity would have to be threaded with this matter which would be spherical in nature. The properties this matter would have to have would be negative mass, and yet still be capable of exerting a positive surface pressure.
                        Griffin: You aren't Spanish, are you?
                        McKay: Oh yes! Of the Barcelona McKays!

Steam Asgard Commander of the Teal'c

http://www.youtube.com/partcontinuum

Comment

Working...
                        X