Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do WE need to come together to help save the franchise?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    Fandom come together? Thats hilarious
    What is this "fandom" you people keep mentioning? I see a bunch of weird folk posting on the internet, that's all. (And I'm one of them, mind you.)
    sigpic
    Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Are you being serious or just sarcastic?
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderstorm View Post
        But see a combo movie to many fans is just as bad as one series only. That only pleases that intersection of fans that liked all 3 series.
        no it doesn't. it gives the opportunity for everyone to get the chance at closure.

i'm not a 'fan' of all 3 series, but i'm willing to have the other two involved, if it means i get the chance at s/j confirmation.

(it's really no different that watching an episode, where you'll see things you love, hate, or/and are indifferent to. you focus on the likes and ff through the dislikes )
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
          (it's really no different that watching an episode, where you'll see things you love, hate, or/and are indifferent to. you focus on the likes and ff through the dislikes )
          Too bad that everyone's likes/dislikes are not the same, which in a Stargate united movie would lead to problematic issues such as characters that are just going to be in such a tiny part that it's not even worth watching the longwinded episode for because those same PTB who couldn't write something decent for them in the actual episodes, won't have anything decent for them in the longwinded episode. And thus ... what's the point?
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            Are you being serious or just sarcastic?
            Sigh. Humor on the internet - it is a delicate thing, and I'm apparently bad at it!

(Sarcastic, my friend, sarcastic. Lately sarcastic is my default setting!)
            sigpic
            Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis-Neith View Post
              not a single one of the Stargate series got a real ending, as in planned, and filmed as an ending. Even if SG 1 got 10 seasons (and 2 films), and Atlantis got 5 seasons, non of them got a correct ending.
              You're wrong about SG-1. "Unending" was a planned series finale. It was thrown together at the last minute, but it was planned, if briefly. Stargate: The Ark of Truth was planned to end the Ori saga. Stargate: Continuum was planned to give us a final Goa'uld romp and bring Ba'al's shenanigans to an end. SciFi cancelled SG-1, because the network could not justify the program's cost in regards to ratings. Hence, the network did not renew the show. However, to soften the blow, it was the network's idea to transplant an SG-1 character to Atlantis. The writers had been trying to move Carter over anyway, she'd already signed a contract for the 2007-08 season, so there ya go.

As for Atlantis, that was poorly handled. It wasn't cancelled so much as it was replaced with a new spinoff. The problem was that Brad Wright's team didn't give the show a season to wind down and come to an end. The fifth season finale was the 100th aired episode, so they went all out. When the cancellation was announced, it was sheer good fortune that the season finale doubled as a series finale. For me, the ending works. We don't know what will ultimately happen to the Wraith in the Pegasus galaxy, but Atlantis is safe and sound. In my imagination, Atlantis stays on Earth. The war with the Wraith continues via Earth ships (Daedalus and Apollo) and a newly constructed base somewhere in Pegasus (think of the SGC, Earth's Alpha Site, or Icarus base).

Do you see a pattern? How much is Stargate really worth to MGM (or Syfy either)?
              The pattern could be that you didn't get the ending that you wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                This.

IMO the only SG series that didn't get a real ending is Universe. It would've been great if Atlantis got the same respect as SG-1 in respect to ending; but at least it didn't end on a cliffhanger.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                  You're wrong about SG-1. "Unending" was a planned series finale. It was thrown together at the last minute, but it was planned, if briefly. Stargate: The Ark of Truth was planned to end the Ori saga. Stargate: Continuum was planned to give us a final Goa'uld romp and bring Ba'al's shenanigans to an end. SciFi cancelled SG-1, because the network could not justify the program's cost in regards to ratings. Hence, the network did not renew the show. However, to soften the blow, it was the network's idea to transplant an SG-1 character to Atlantis. The writers had been trying to move Carter over anyway, she'd already signed a contract for the 2007-08 season, so there ya go.

As for Atlantis, that was poorly handled. It wasn't cancelled so much as it was replaced with a new spinoff. The problem was that Brad Wright's team didn't give the show a season to wind down and come to an end. The fifth season finale was the 100th aired episode, so they went all out. When the cancellation was announced, it was sheer good fortune that the season finale doubled as a series finale. For me, the ending works. We don't know what will ultimately happen to the Wraith in the Pegasus galaxy, but Atlantis is safe and sound. In my imagination, Atlantis stays on Earth. The war with the Wraith continues via Earth ships (Daedalus and Apollo) and a newly constructed base somewhere in Pegasus (think of the SGC, Earth's Alpha Site, or Icarus base).

If you think SG-1 got a regular final, and full planned last episode, take it. Maybe it was, I just remember reading all the complains of SG-1 fans here, and got the impression it was not really a final episode, be it.

Atlantis should, as far as I understood, get another season to end the story, it didn't happen, and therefor the last episode of the season was also the last episode of the series. Kind of an open ending, again as far as I understood it from the comments here. So, you see I don't had any wishes for those series, or got any endings I didn't wanted.

Like in the case of SGA SGU was ended before the story was told. And in this case the last episode should have been a season finale, but it was never planned to be a series finale. It was just the last episode of the series. I got the impression the writers just gave the series an open ending, not as bad as an regular cliffhanger at the end of a season, but still not the same as an planned out, finale episode of the series, like for example the Star Treck series got, or Babylon 5 got.

It's not that I didn't get the ending for SGU I wanted, I absolutely don't see how an emergency-open-pseudo-never-planned-as-an-ending-last-episode-of-SGU is the same as a well planned last episode of a series, with all stories told. And if you don't see the difference, in the last episodes of SGA, and SGU to any of the last episodes of those series I mentioned above (ST, B5), there's no point to waste more words on it.

I for myself prefer to read a whole book, and not only a half one, because the second half of the book got lost, and someone just ended the last paragraph on a random last page with a sentence, and that last sentence with a point, because a paragraph should end with a sentence with a point at the end of it. SGU don't got an real ending, the writers just changed the last paragraph a bit, and made a point at the end of the last sentence. That was the best they could do with the fragment on the table.

And I still see a pattern in the emergency endings of at lest two SG series.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis-Neith View Post
                    If you think SG-1 got a regular final, and full planned last episode, take it. Maybe it was, I just remember reading all the complains of SG-1 fans here, and got the impression it was not really a final episode, be it.
                    I don't think it did, I know it did. I had been visiting the website back in 2007 when the show was cancelled. All shows end, most get cancelled, and most that do get cancelled don't get an ending. SG-1 not only the head's up so a series finale could be cobbled together, but MGM stepped in and greenlit not one but two movies. Now, if we're excluding film and discussing the series itself, than yeah... it's rushed and open ended, but the plan was to lead into film. Star Trek: The Next Generation was left open with the intent to do movies as well, four were made. I don't really pay attention to fan complaining unless I wish to offer a logical explanation. Just take the show for what it is. If you like the episodes, what does it matter what anyone else thinks?

Atlantis should, as far as I understood, get another season to end the story, it didn't happen, and therefor the last episode of the season was also the last episode of the series. Kind of an open ending, again as far as I understood it from the comments here. So, you see I don't had any wishes for those series, or got any endings I didn't wanted.
                    Atlantis ended on a season finale that conveniently works as a series finale. I don't mind that it was cancelled, five years is a good run. I just wish Brad Wright had told everyone, "Hey, this'll be the last season, we're doing Universe next year." It would have given everyone time to wrap up loose ends. All shows end, but just... give everyone a head's up, ya know?

Like in the case of SGA SGU was ended before the story was told. And in this case the last episode should have been a season finale, but it was never planned to be a series finale. It was just the last episode of the series. I got the impression the writers just gave the series an open ending, not as bad as an regular cliffhanger at the end of a season, but still not the same as an planned out, finale episode of the series, like for example the Star Treck series got, or Babylon 5 got.
                    The original Star Trek ended with a regular episode, series finales just didn't exist in the 1960's. TNG, DS9, and VOY all went into the seventh season knowing it'd be the last. Hence, those three shows had time to come to a natural conclusion. Enterprise, on the other hand, was cancelled. Like SG-1, the producers slapped together a last minute finale. Like SG-1, it was rushed and received a lot of criticism. I try to give the producers and writers a little room. At least we got a finale, rushed and flawed. I'd rather that then ending on a regular season finale.

It's not that I didn't get the ending for SGU I wanted, I absolutely don't see how an emergency-open-pseudo-never-planned-as-an-ending-last-episode-of-SGU is the same as a well planned last episode of a series, with all stories told. And if you don't see the difference, in the last episodes of SGA, and SGU to any of the last episodes of those series I mentioned above (ST, B5), there's no point to waste more words on it.
                    I understand your feelings on both SGA and SGU. In the case of SGA, we lucked out. Yeah, the Wraith are still at large and some storylines are unresolved, but Atlantis is safe and sound on Earth. That's good enough for me. As for SGU, I didn't watch the show (boring), but when a show is cancelled after two years of poor ratings, what do you expect? SGU just didn't work. Take Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, a great series that aired on FOX for two years. It was cancelled a month after the Season 2 finale. It ended on a cliffhanger. Though most of the second season storylines were resolved by the finale, the main story (will the Connors stop Skynet?) was left wide open. Eh... because most of the storylines were resolved, I can still enjoy revisiting the series. A cliffhanger ending is horribly annoying, but it's tolerable (for me anyway) if there's some resolution prior to the finale.

I for myself prefer to read a whole book, and not only a half one, because the second half of the book got lost, and someone just ended the last paragraph on a random last page with a sentence, and that last sentence with a point, because a paragraph should end with a sentence with a point at the end of it. SGU don't got an real ending, the writers just changed the last paragraph a bit, and made a point at the end of the last sentence. That was the best they could do with the fragment on the table.
                    I wouldn't compare a series to a book. Maybe a few episodes to a season, perhaps, but a whole series? You couldn't fit all of that into a book. Besides, most shows are episodic adventures where as a book is one story. Even with SGU's serial format, there were many conflicts and adventures that couldn't fit into one book. A cancelled series without a proper ending is more like a book series that ends without resolution due to poor book sales.

And I still see a pattern in the emergency endings of at lest two SG series.
                    SG-1 got a last minute ending, SGA got a "We're cancelled, but our season finale works as a series finale" ending, and SGU... got screwed. Eh, that's showbiz.

Comment

Originally posted by sighphi
                      Arent the dudes that made the first film in the process of making 2 more movies?
                      Yeah, I think they might be. IMDB lists Independence Day 2 and 3 are supposed to be coming out within the next couple of years.

Comment

Working...
                      X