No announcement yet.

The First Stargate Episode You Ever Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started with the movie, on VHS. I grew up on Star Wars, Star Trek, BSG, etc, so would make a beeline for the scifi section of the video shop. IIRC I pulled out Stargate because of the mythology - I'm more interested in Greek and Celtic mythology, but the Egyptian mythology combined with scifi was enough to interest me - and James Spader, of course.

Loved the movie, and was happy to follow on to SG-1 when it aired in Aus. The first episode to really hook me and elevate SG beyond just 'something fun to watch' was The Torment of Tantalus. I loved that episode (yes, it still moves me to tears).

Finally it was SGA that pushed me over the edge and into fandom. I love the whole series, but watching the city come out of the water in Rising is STILL awesome.

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
    Started with the movie originally and loved it. When it came out on TV a few years later, loved it from the start as I watched 'Children of the Gods' when it first aired on television but must admit I was (at the time) disappointed Kurt Russell and James Spader didn't return. Loved it then, been watching it ever since.
    I agree with James Spader - although Michael Shanks didn't take long to adjust to! I was relieved that Kurt Russell didn't come over to the series though - I just can't warm up to him for some reason.
    sigpic
    My LJ & Fics * Proud Member of W.A.S.P. * Pay It Forward

Comment

Ahh, the first one? Children of the Gods. The original movie doesn't count, does it? Anyway, I was shocked at first, and it took me a while to get over what I saw. But it didn't take long for me to get into Stargate and become an obsessed fan! My mum introduced me and my sisters to it.

Comment

Sure the movie 'counts', since it does set up the basic premise that feeds into COTG... If you haven't seen it but you understand the background, great... but if you haven't seen the movie, do yourself a favor and watch it, because it really is a lot of fun.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
        Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
        sigpic
        now also appearing on DeviantArt
        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
          Sure the movie 'counts', since it does set up the basic premise that feeds into COTG... If you haven't seen it but you understand the background, great... but if you haven't seen the movie, do yourself a favor and watch it, because it really is a lot of fun.
          Okay, then the movie would be the first Stargate I ever saw. Daniel was my favourite character from the very beginning. Such a cute little nerd who sneezed a lot! (And left his coffee in odd places.) He's not as nerdy as he used to be, but I still love him. Michael Shanks is awesome~

Comment

Oh, definitely! And I loved how well Shanks was able to pick up the Spader thread of the character in such a smooth transition!

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
            Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
            sigpic
            now also appearing on DeviantArt
            Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Me too. He's really good as Daniel.

Comment

the movie - its brilliant
                sigpic

Comment

First time I ever even heard of Stargate, was when I aired the episode (I think) The Daedalus Variations, because I feel like I've seen that episode significantly more than any others. We use to air it on weekends late at night at my job, sadly we dropped it. I hope they pickup SGU soon.

Comment

I had seen the original movie of course and loved it, but then kind of forgot about it. Then, since I didn't watch much tv the last half of the 90s because of college, and didn't even know SG-1 existed, until I was watching reruns on the sci-fi channel in about '04. I saw a rerun of 'Tangent', and loved it.
                    sigpic
                    Jack: Uhh, Daniel - for cryin' out loud!!, I said I would watch the Stanley Cup playoffs with you!
                    Is all this necessary??!?

Comment

My first episode was "1969" when I was around 9 years old. At the time I was fascinated with the idea of time travel, and after that I was totally hooked.

Comment

I think for Atlantis it was the Storm and for SG-1 it was Gemini
                        sigpic
                        My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                        poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

The original movie back in the '90s. Then Children of the Gods a few years back when I decided to give the series a shot.
                          sigpic

Comment

For me, it was the '94 movie.

I didn't get into the show until it came out on DVD (I didn't have Showtime). "Children Of The Gods" was my first series episode. It seemed hokey. But I love Sci-Fi (even with the camp that seemed like a genre staple back in the day), and enjoyed it.

Towards the end of "The Enemy Within", when Teal'c holds Kawalsky's head in the event horizon...that's when the show really began to make an impression with me. That's when I realized that the series would do justice to the premise.

Comment

It's kinda funny how i got started. I was watching the movie groundhog day it was about 40 mins in i dropped the remote and the channel changed to the stargate episode Window of oppritunity. Since then ive been hooked.

Comment

1969. Not a bad way to jump into things, I'd say, lol...although it didn't strike me until I became more familiar with the series how hilarious it was to see Teal'c in that get up.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X