Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that, had SGU's "Alliances" been a bigger deal and featured a full-scale attack by the Lucian Alliance (possibly as a two-part episode), then that would have been a great way to introduce the Stargate program to the public. The political and social fallout from the massive attack, and presumably hundreds of deaths, would also create some opportunities for interesting stories.

I can just imagine all of Earth's 304s fighting attacks Ha'taks in space/in Earth's orbit.

Comment

While the visuals would be awesome, the devistation on the ground wouldn't.. Unless all those battles were over non inhabited areas.

Comment

I couldn't really be bothered reading all the other posts right now.

One that i don't think many people would have thought about is democracy. One of the flaws with democracy is that people who have no idea get to choose the best course of action.

With the mindless masses not interfering it could really mean survival or destruction in the line of work at the SCG.

There would also try to be power grabs, big corporations and banks have a big voice among politics because it is really them, for the most part, who run the country. They would want to get some profits from off-world minerals or alien technology.

There would be economics, with Asgard transport beams thousands will be out of a job, ect.

~~~~~~~

On the other hand people could find it enlightening and maybe exactly what we as a world need. Knowing that we are not alone, there are others like us and some more powerful people may stop thinking that we are the center of the universe, and instead of thinking inwardly start thinking outwardly.

New cultures and philosophy would be made available. With people able to see the hight we as a race are able to reach (Like the Ancients) we would put aside our differences and try to reach them. Goals like Ascension could also unify the world.

Comment

WEll, it would also peeve of the scienceologists!

Comment

I think this could have been a fantastic story arc in or around season 6ish SG1, like before Earth became the most powerful force in the known universe, but after they've acquired a few bits and bobs....
            I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

I think if it was released back then there would have been a LOT more bad issues..

Comment

Originally posted by LC_ View Post
                Hi:
                I've been writing a fairly large "opus" almost since "Unending" aired that covers 30 years of life post-Unending and I'm reaching a point where I was planning on introducing the concept of making the "program" known to the public. One of the hallmarks of my work is realism so I'm interested in a serious discussion about what the consequences would be if/when the program goes public.

There are certain things that have already occurred to me; like "fear of aliens" because they are unfamiliar, the devoutly religious having issues with Daniel's experiences.
                So what I"m looking for is other 'issues and consequences" that I haven't thought of.

For context: The year is 2023. The thinking at the highest level is that the public would deal better with the information about the Stargate if it isn't given to them when the world is at risk.
                And I've also put forward the premise that the earliest of the classified files about the program would be becoming public domain in another five years(don't know if that's valid or not....the govt can probably keep things "classified" as long as they want) and it's better to start before that happens so the govt can control the way the program is presented to the public instead of the press controlling how it is presented.

So I'm looking for anyone's thoughts or comments about issues or repercussions that haven't occurred to me.
                (if this thread topic already exists someplace else then please just point me in the correction direction).
                thanks
                Do you have a link to this story

Comment

I think there have been a few hints that they have been releasing at least some Gate-inspired tech already (late SG-1 and Miller's Crossing both had some references to civilian companies working with alien tech). The big stuff like naquadah is probably still secret, but some of the small stuff might be in use now, and probably even more by 2023.

Comment

Working...
                  X