This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does there have to be a fourth series?

I get wanting to see a third SG-1 or Atlantis film, largely because the scripts for both have been written. I get wanting to see Universe continue, who wants a serial to end unresolved? What I don't get is the presumption that there should be a fourth series. Why? Most science-fiction shows don't get a spin-off, and most that do have one short-lived spin-off. Star Trek is a rare exception where we got one show after another, and I think Stargate fans just assume we should get the same treatment. The fact is, all shows end. I never expected a spin-off, but I warmed up to Atlantis. I never thought there'd be a third show. After Milky Way and Pegasus adventures, where do you go? I always figured Atlantis's homecoming would be the end of Stargate. With Atlantis on Earth, it's happily ever after, ya know? Universe was just so different, it doesn't feel like Stargate at all. Different is good, but it was too different, to the point where no one cared. If Stargate ends with Universe, I really won't be that upset about it. Really, the only thing I'm terribly bothered with is Atlantis's Wraith storyline being left unresolved. Alas, cancelled shows always have unresolved stories.

I'm still waiting for resolution on the second and third series, never mind a fourth.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

What resolution are you waiting for in regards to Atlantis?

Comment

Uh...that Teyla, Ronan, and Todd aren't from our galaxy. And that Atlantis is on Earth--ie, now what? What the evil Asgard are all about. That virtually the entire Pegasus Galaxy is suffering because of the various scourges that our crew released on them, and specifically that the Wraith issue remains unsolved.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
          What resolution are you waiting for in regards to Atlantis?
          I for one am aching to know about the adventures of Zombie Heightmayer.
          I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

[re: SGU] Different is good, but it was too different, to the point where no one cared.
            Also: bull. A million+ people tuning in every week cared. And that's just what's being reported by the hopelessly broken ratings system.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              Uh...that Teyla, Ronan, and Todd aren't from our galaxy. And that Atlantis is on Earth--ie, now what? What the evil Asgard are all about. That virtually the entire Pegasus Galaxy is suffering because of the various scourges that our crew released on them, and specifically that the Wraith issue remains unsolved.
              This is why I really hope the Atlantis movie happens, even if we have to wait a while. All of this could easily be wrapped up with one movie.

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              Also: bull. A million+ people tuning in every week cared. And that's just what's being reported by the hopelessly broken ratings system.
              Obviously, that wasn't enough.

Comment

I guess since there has been 4 series (don't forget Infinity) and with the show-runners so easily moving from SG-1 to Atlantis and then continuing both with Universe everyone just assumes that a fourth show would happen because, why not? The consensus seems to be that the property itself is still valid and marketable with plenty of stories to be told so truthfully why couldn't there be?

I think the reality is that except for the most fanatical of followers, the show doesn't have the validity we as those fanatical followers would like it to be and the casual fan moved on after Atlantis ended. It's like you said, shows get cancelled all the time, unresolved, every season. Except for the people who saw every episode, bought every DVD and eagerly awaited every season premiere, most people just moved on, which is probably one of the biggest reasons Universe did suffer in ratings.

That doesn't mean the property can't continue to exist in another form. I'm a convertee to the idea that novels are the way to go. That could also lead to the property being revisited with a new movie or show or whatever down the line. I've mentioned elsewhere that the Star Wars novels from 1992 on are largely credited with keeping the property alive and fanbase strong enough for Lucas to do his prequels.

Comment

Obviously, that wasn't enough.
                  Obviously not. But it's also obvious that "no one cared" is nonsense.

Comment

The show has been cancelled, urgo a million+ viewers was not enough to sustain renewal for a third season. As for "no one cared," I should have been more clear... casual viewers dropped off when ATL ended, only the fanboys stuck around for UNI hence low ratings and cancellation.

Comment

The show has been cancelled, urgo a million+ viewers was not enough to sustain renewal for a third season. As for "no one cared," I should have been more clear... casual viewers dropped off when ATL ended, only the fanboys stuck around for UNI hence low ratings and cancellation.
                      Also a few fangirls.

On topic - no, don't want to hear anything about 4th series. Just give me a proper ending for SGU, and SG-1/SGA movies.
                      sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't mind a 4th series. Of course, that's if they wrap up Atlantis and SGU first.

Dream scenario: they get a shipload of cash somehow, and pick up where all three series left off and run a 4th series alongside the 3.
                        (and then people end up complaining about 'over saturation' or nitpick on how stuff is 'degrading' )
                        sigpic

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Yes. But I would like to see SGU resolved first.

Comment

As far as the topic of this thread goes-No....Let the series lay down and rest for now. Just give us any ending to SGU-now off topic-
                              From his recent interview-
                              N. John Smith:
                              Well, SG-1 was notoriously a big effects series. It was a bigger series. The budgets reflected that. We spent a lot more money on SG-1 than Sanctuary. Again, on the new show [Stargate Universe], our budgets are double what Sanctuary spends.

There is alot of cgi on Sanctuary,that cant be very cheap. I was surprised to read they spent (overall) twice as much per episode on SGU. That being said, you can throw money at a hole in a damn, but its still gonna leak some. And just because you spend large sums of money on a show doesnt make it successful. Scheduling was an issue as we all know:
                              Everyone except Syfy has acknowledged that the scheduling has caused problems for Caprica. Syfy has issued excuses for their poor marketing, such as that Tuesday was their best programming night. Meanwhile Caprica’s average ratings fell 31% in the move from Friday to Tuesday night. Stargate Universe’s average ratings fell 36% from 1.685 million when aired on Friday to 1.076 so far on Tuesday. Fox did the same with Firefly. Just let the series rest for now. Please. Bring it back in a few years on a different network.

Last edited by anaberration; 16 February 2011, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X