Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you guys watch a CGI animated series, ala The Clone Wars?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you guys watch a CGI animated series, ala The Clone Wars?

Someone who called the Gateworld Podcast recently brought up the subject of an animated Stargate series and that got me thinking...I don't know about anybody else, but I LOVE the Clone Wars, as a Star Wars fan, and as a general SF fan...I think its brilliant and especially after the past six episodes it has far exceeded my expectations for the series when it was first announced (which were very LOW, especially after the lackluster premier movie) - the voice overs are great, animation is some of the best on TV and most of the stories are decent to great...

Which brings me to Stargate...how's this for the continuation of SG-1/SGA/SGU? They could do a 20-26 episode (I think the Clone Wars does like 26 or 27) season per year of CGI animated stories that would encompass Stargate SG-1, Atlantis and Universe. How they could do it may very, perhaps they'd do 3-4 episode arcs like The Clone Wars sometimes does, or do single stories, or maybe one season per year would be dedicated to a certain show. They wouldn't be forced to use original voice actors (though whoever they could get would be great of course) - watch The Clone Wars and their voice actors have done a pretty good job of emulating the original actors, and they could even bring back characters like Weir and Hammond since they wouldn't need the original actors. They also wouldn't be stuck chronologically and could jump around in the chronology of the franchise...not to mention that they would also be able to do great alien locations without the typical limitations.

Anyway, an idea I was running around in my head...I think it could work. All three camps would be happy, we'd get our conclusion to SGU, we'd get more SG-1 and SGA stories, and maybe while they do this they could come up with the next big live-action series. Would you guys be interested if that's the direction Stargate was heading? It'd certainly be better than no TV at all.
    That is just my two cents.

Hell I would I'd love it if they did...
    The world hath known no greater love than this, to give one's life for his friends. John 15:34

The banning of images in SIGs suck.

Comment

I don't think an animated/CGI Stargate series would work. I love my Stargate, I love The Clone Wars, but ne'er should the two meet.

I think that Star Wars lends itself to animation and CGI a lot more than Stargate. Star Wars is necessarily closer to the fantasy end of science fiction. It has archetypal characters engaging in swordfights (lightsabers), an absolute conflict between good and evil (Light and Dark) with very little grey, mixed together with magic (the Force) and technologies that are fantastical rather than practical.

Stargate is none of these things. Stargate is an action/comedy with a bent toward realism, framed in our reality.

I don't think the two are compatible.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I must say to my sadness that I agree with DigiFluid. I'd love for it to work, but I'm afraid it wouldn't...
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
          I must say to my sadness that I agree with DigiFluid.
          I'm not sure whether I should be pleased or insulted by this sentence
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            I don't think an animated/CGI Stargate series would work. I love my Stargate, I love The Clone Wars, but ne'er should the two meet.

I think that Star Wars lends itself to animation and CGI a lot more than Stargate. Star Wars is necessarily closer to the fantasy end of science fiction. It has archetypal characters engaging in swordfights (lightsabers), an absolute conflict between good and evil (Light and Dark) with very little grey, mixed together with magic (the Force) and technologies that are fantastical rather than practical.

Stargate is none of these things. Stargate is an action/comedy with a bent toward realism, framed in our reality.

I don't think the two are compatible.
            I'm sorry Digifluid but your argument makes no sense, Starship troopers also had for a while a CG animated show and it is a pretty grounded franchise, no magic or even lasers involved. The only reason it was canned was because of the cost which given Clone Wars longevity has dropped somewhat.

To base the success of a show in CG on the ground that it has to be about magic is unfounded at best, my 2 cents.
            And Stargate had plenty of magic like things with the Ori storyline too...
            The world hath known no greater love than this, to give one's life for his friends. John 15:34

Comment

Originally posted by RJLCyberPunk View Post
              I'm sorry Digifluid but your argument makes no sense, Starship troopers also had for a while a CG animated show and it is a pretty grounded franchise, no magic or even lasers involved. The only reason it was canned was because of the cost which given Clone Wars longevity has dropped somewhat.

To base the success of a show in CG on the ground that it has to be about magic is unfounded at best, my 2 cents.
              Two words: giant bugs.

Also, way to completely miss the point of my post and post an example that proves exactly what I was talking about in the very same post. Roughnecks was nothing resembling grounded, it's Starship Freaking Troopers for crying out loud. Giant intelligent bugs, over-the-top kitbash weapons, strange alien environs--all stuff flying off into the fantasy end of things.

Stargate uses real-world weapons like P90s and G36s. Earth starships are not imaginative silliness like Star Destroyers or fighters that double as droids that can walk on surfaces; they're office buildings in space. Our people go to distinctly Earthlike environments, because that's the in-universe explanation for real-life on-location shooting.

Stargate does not lend itself to animation. I would have thought Infinity was proof positive of this on its own.
              Last edited by DigiFluid; 11 February 2011, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RJLCyberPunk View Post

Ori storyline was magic? Did I miss something?

To answer the question: Don't like the Clone Wars (tortured myself with a handful episodes a while ago) and for me it wouldn't work, especially when it will involve the latest stu... incarnation. As much as I love some other animated CGI-movies this would not work. Stargate was also about the actors/actresses. It was funny to watch Sam as a puppet in "200" but I really don't want to see her as a angled supermodel with super-boobs *shivers*.

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
                Sig & Avi by Josi
                sigpic
                LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
                I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

it would depend on the storyline and how the CGI was done. I despised the look of the clone wars, it just put me right off, but I think it could still be done, depending on how it was done. Nothing beats real people though and I suppose it's the 'humanness' of the cast that increases the believability for me. Turn that into crappy cartoon CGI and maybe I no longer care about the characters or their story.
                  sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

I'd watch a really dark adult Anime series, but I'm not sure I'd like to watch something like the Clone Wars.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                      Two words: giant bugs.

Also, way to completely miss the point of my post and post an example that proves exactly what I was talking about in the very same post. Roughnecks was nothing resembling grounded, it's Starship Freaking Troopers for crying out loud. Giant intelligent bugs, over-the-top kitbash weapons, strange alien environs--all stuff flying off into the fantasy end of things.

Stargate uses real-world weapons like P90s and G36s. Earth starships are not imaginative silliness like Star Destroyers or fighters that double as droids that can walk on surfaces; they're office buildings in space. Our people go to distinctly Earthlike environments, because that's the in-universe explanation for real-life on-location shooting.

Stargate does not lend itself to animation. I would have thought Infinity was proof positive of this on its own.
                      Infinity was a horribly written Animated series to begin with. And klet's recap the being grounded in reality theory other than the guns the franchise boasts a multigalaxy spawning artificial wormhole/teleportation network yes very grounded in reality we have the latest model of that at Radio Shack OH wait...

Let see what else, Cystal lifeforms and shapeshifters that can mimic anyone or anything with near perfection, yep we are practically surrounded by those, OH wait...

I could go on and on like this, and Office buildings in Space? Earth ships specially battlecruisers look anything but, you must be confusing 303s with the Naquadah building Baal had built which was teleported into space before it exploded.

Comment

*Thinks Infinity* *shudders* No.
                        Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
                        ---
                        sigpic

Comment

Why do people even associate Infinity with the current TV incarnation of Stargate? It has no relation whatsoever and probably 90% of Stargate fans don't even know of its existence. Myself I have no intention of watching it because of that very fact.

It would be more fair to think about something like the Star Trek animated TV series - if anybody has seen it its actually pretty decent. Obviously the 70's animation isn't the best, but the stories were just as good (in my opinion) as any stories in the original series.

And what's with all the hate on The Clone Wars animation? I think the animation, especially in season 3 has been brilliant and it keeps on improving with each episode...the last 5 or 6 episodes have in my opinion been some of the best stories Star Wars has produced in years - I'm enjoying The Clone Wars far more than I did the prequel trilogy.
                          That is just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Browncoat1984 View Post
                            And what's with all the hate on The Clone Wars animation? I think the animation, especially in season 3 has been brilliant and it keeps on improving with each episode...the last 5 or 6 episodes have in my opinion been some of the best stories Star Wars has produced in years - I'm enjoying The Clone Wars far more than I did the prequel trilogy.
                            People like to hate on Star Wars because of how bad the prequels were, and because the Clone Wars movie wasn't very good either.

I love it. It's basically everything we wanted from the prequels but didn't get.

Comment

It's odd imagining Stargate in the cartoonish CGI animation style of The Clone Wars, but it could potentially be good. If such a series were made, I'd give it a chance.

If it turned out terrible, I'd probably stop watching it after a while. But then again, if it were officially canon I might feel obligated to continue watching anyway, just to keep track of how canon was being butchered (which is also the reason I continue watching The Clone Wars, as much as it pains me to do so).
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X