Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the burying a Stargate the shape of things to come?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the burying a Stargate the shape of things to come?

It seems to me that at least in the United States the general air towards Science Fiction on television as turned very cold...if we look at history we can see that there have been several golden ages of Sci-Fi from the 30s till about 2 or 3 years ago...we seem to be entering a poopy age right now...what with Sci-Fi being redefined as one of three things

1. Endless versions of the same Ghost Hunting reality show

2. A ripoff of American Pickers (only this time for Movie and TV props...see the twist)

and here's the best one...

3. Wrestling...

Now my question is, is the fact that the Stargate franchise, which once seemed unstoppable and mighty, has fallen by the way side a sign that we may have to wait 10 or 15 years for Sci-Fi to become fashionable again?
    "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

If you are talking about the Syfy channel, they wouldn't know Scifi if a Klingon walked up to them and started singing Opera. Scifi isn't that big a genre for TV so they are forced to repeat the same crap over and over, and over again. Scifi Channel here in the UK is the exact same way.

sigpic

Comment

People need to wait & see what MGM says before going all doom & gloom, MGM owns Stargate & not Syfy & if they Syfy has no more interest in Stargate then MGM is free to check out other net works. Syfy has no final say in where Stargate airs. If Power Rangers can take a year off & then come back strong with its original owners & not Disney & on a new channel then so can Stargate

Comment

it does seem like syfy is definitely going down hill. they do seem to air the same stuff over and over again. yet they rather have random repeats then stargate. and as said mgm owns stargate.

as for sci-fi in general there are still a few shows on, i don't watch them but i've heard fringe, v and supernatural are good.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
          If you are talking about the Syfy channel, they wouldn't know Scifi if a Klingon walked up to them and started singing Opera. Scifi isn't that big a genre for TV so they are forced to repeat the same crap over and over, and over again. Scifi Channel here in the UK is the exact same way.
          I agree.
          If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
          Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
          If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
          Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

LMAO Quoted for truth but Brad Wright and the rest of the team behind the franchise has not given up on it and neither should we and since is MGM that owns the franchise and not Syfy if Syfy wants to change to become just a wrestling and dumb reality shows channel they are welcome to it, Showtime can get the franchise back all of it.
            The world hath known no greater love than this, to give one's life for his friends. John 15:34

The banning of images in SIGs suck.

Comment

There's not enough good Sci-Fi these days.
              My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

Originally posted by Goose View Post
                There's not enough good Sci-Fi these days.
                There is just not enough "new scifi" (good or bad) being made for TV to support a "scifi only" station.
                sigpic
                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

If you are talking about the Syfy channel, they wouldn't know Scifi if a Klingon walked up to them and started singing Opera.
                  This gets my vote for GW quote of the week!
                  sigpic
                  Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JackO'Neill View Post
                      People need to wait & see what MGM says before going all doom & gloom, MGM owns Stargate & not Syfy & if they Syfy has no more interest in Stargate then MGM is free to check out other net works. Syfy has no final say in where Stargate airs. If Power Rangers can take a year off & then come back strong with its original owners & not Disney & on a new channel then so can Stargate
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                        There is just not enough "new scifi" (good or bad) being made for TV to support a "scifi only" station.
                        You don't need new sci-fi for a good sci-fi only station. There are plenty of good old sci-fi shows that could be aired on a sci-fi only channel. Give the usual 2-6 AM paid programming and show reruns for the older shows with the new ones on prime time. Reruns can be just as great as new shows. Especially for people who haven't seen the old shows.
                        "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
                        - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

Science fiction on television is already quite popular or else a remake of V wouldn't be on PRIMETIME television on a big 4 network. I have a feeling someone doesn't want the best SciFi NBC owns to run on it's second rate network. Maybe that's just the conspiracy theorist in me.

Comment

Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered View Post
                            You don't need new sci-fi for a good sci-fi only station. There are plenty of good old sci-fi shows that could be aired on a sci-fi only channel. Give the usual 2-6 AM paid programming and show reruns for the older shows with the new ones on prime time. Reruns can be just as great as new shows. Especially for people who haven't seen the old shows.
                            Well yes you are right, but even with the lower cost of running mostly reruns (like Sci fi Australia), would that get the station enough money to invest in new scifi? I don't know mate, It's possible I guess, but I really don't know, too many variables to even consider "armchair guesswork" imo.
                            sigpic
                            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                              Well yes you are right, but even with the lower cost of running mostly reruns (like Sci fi Australia), would that get the station enough money to invest in new scifi? I don't know mate, It's possible I guess, but I really don't know, too many variables to even consider "armchair guesswork" imo.
                              I think if they used the big shows that are off the air (ie Trek, Babylon 5 etc) they would be able to pull in quite a few more viewers than they can with GH, GH:I, the new show Face Off, or any of the crap they have coming up.
                              "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
                              - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X