Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts/speculation on the future of the franchise.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
    Well I know Spike TV which is a cable channel reaches 96 million homes and there are only 114 million homes with television in the United States.
    Just because the channel can reach 96 mil households it doesn't mean that everyone in those households actually wants to watch the channel. And I don't know where you are getting your numbers from, but does the 96 million mean that 96 million are subscribed to the channel or that 96 mil have the ability to subscribe to the channel?
    Also, it's a fact that cable providers put a few of the channels you do want together with loads of channels you're not really interested in when you subscribe to package. And as you can clearly see by the difference in ratings, people do watch more network shows than the ones on cable, and thus the ratings required for cable shows to survive are lower.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvilSpaceAlien View Post
      Just because the channel can reach 96 mil households it doesn't mean that everyone in those households actually wants to watch the channel. And I don't know where you are getting your numbers from, but does the 96 million mean that 96 million are subscribed to the channel or that 96 mil have the ability to subscribe to the channel?
      Also, it's a fact that cable providers put a few of the channels you do want together with loads of channels you're not really interested in when you subscribe to package. And as you can clearly see by the difference in ratings, people do watch more network shows than the ones on cable, and thus the ratings required for cable shows to survive are lower.
      Source: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.a...80407spiketv02

I did a little checking and for all the major cable companies I checked Spike was in their most basic package (as was Syfy).

Comment

Didn't we already have a thread like this?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by seinfeldsg1 View Post
          Ever since SG-1 went off air it seems like the series has continued to slide. Popularity for Atlantis was never what it was for SG-1, and popularity for Universe isnt even what it was for Atlantis. Traffic on these forums are WAY WAY WAY down from Gateworlds SG-1 days, MGM is in trouble and they dont do as many conventions as they used to anymore either. Im not sure that the popularity of SG-1 can ever be duplicated, are Gate's days numbered?
          Considering that SG can still produce shows after a decade, I'd have to say that's sky-falling talk
          sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Errr.... I don't think so. If I remember correctly, Rising was the highest rated premiere back in '04, but it was beaten by Eureka's Pilot in '06.
            I am pretty sure, Eureka just missed it. SGA had 4.2 Million, Eureka had 4.0 Million. I will have to recheck the numbers. I know W13 for their 4th or 5th episode set the record but it was not a premiere ep.

Edit: I was correct.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2...rd-books/6665/

Eureka had just over 4 Million, SGA had almost 4.2 Million.
            Last edited by Briangate78; 20 August 2010, 07:16 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
              I am pretty sure, Eureka just missed it. SGA had 4.2 Million, Eureka had 4.0 Million. I will have to recheck the numbers. I know W13 for their 4th or 5th episode set the record but it was not a premiere ep.

And the numbers guy does it again
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                And the numbers guy does it again
                Is the number eleventy real?
                Tst

Comment

Originally posted by spinny magee View Post
                  Is the number eleventy real?
                  Who knows
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post

Oh, well. You can't be right all the time.
                    sigpic

Comment

Didn't the Warehouse 13 premier completely topple both Eureka and SGA?

Comment

Originally posted by Skygate View Post
                        Didn't the Warehouse 13 premier completely topple both Eureka and SGA?
                        No I believe it was the fourth episode which was the highest rated Syfy original series episode ever.
                        sigpic

Comment

No I believe it was the fourth episode which was the highest rated Syfy original series episode ever.
                          Actualy it was the 6th episode
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            actualy it was the 6th episode
                            k
                            sigpic

Comment

Is the Stargate franchise dead?

You know, in my mind, there's really no such thing as a dead franchise. Farscape may have no new episodes being produced or what-have-you, but since there's still fans upon fans and people attending panels at conventions and stuff, the franchise is living vicariously through its nerdy followers. So, how the OP put together the fact Stargate is dead given that it's only the off season in between SGU's first and second seasons, and the fact Gateworld is still frelling existing, I've got no clue.

I suspect trolling.
                              ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
                                Is the Stargate franchise dead?

You know, in my mind, there's really no such thing as a dead franchise. Farscape may have no new episodes being produced or what-have-you, but since there's still fans upon fans and people attending panels at conventions and stuff, the franchise is living vicariously through its nerdy followers. So, how the OP put together the fact Stargate is dead given that it's only the off season in between SGU's first and second seasons, and the fact Gateworld is still frelling existing, I've got no clue.

I suspect trolling.
                                I wouldn't call it dead, but I respect other people's right to choose a provocative titkle and reserve it for myself . It's hard to ignore that the franchise isn't exactly having a heyday. I hope it doesn't "die", but there is a possibility. And regarding the definition of "dead" a franchise without an active series (or something concrete in the pipeline), let alone spin offs such as movies or video games is pretty much dead.

Stargate of course isn't dead at this time, except that I'm dying of boredom eagerly awaiting the new SGU season !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

Working...
                                X