This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acquisition of Technology

The primary goal of the Stargate Program is to acquire Alien Technology. We have made some serious strides since the 1990s when the program was first launched. We still have a long way to go however.

There are many technologies we have come across that we seem to have little interest in adapting to our own uses. Weapons especially. By now SG teams should be carrying around a ZAT or a Wraith stunner anywhere they go. We should also have developed our own form of Staff weapon. At best we should be able to make our own Energy weapons by now.

Wraith Darts had some really amazing technology we should be studying heavily. This would be very useful in combat situations, taking captives, and possibly even moving equipment.

We have not done nearly enough in ship development. We only have 2 classes of ship really. We need a mid-sized ship type, we need cargo ships, mining ships, etc. If we can't build them, than we should be trading for them and retrofitting them with our own technology when possible.

On that subject we should be trading for ships and other technologies. We have several distinct types of trading partners: The various criminal syndicates (Lucian Alliance, etc.), The Jaffa, The Tok'Ra, The Travelers, The Space Race worlds, The followers of the Ori (the Supergate is still there and many of them remain in our galaxy), etc.

Between all these different cultures we should have a mish-mash of different ships, weapons, etc. We also should be learning how to make some pretty neat stuff....

What do you guys think? What kind of technologies do you think we will see in the next series?

. By now SG teams should be carrying around a ZAT or a Wraith stunner anywhere they go. We should also have developed our own form of Staff weapon. At best we should be able to make our own Energy weapons by now.
    Watch the episode the Warrior (season 6 sg1). Teal'c is on a jaffa world showing the locals around, and Jack explains to them that the staff weapon is good for one thing. INTIMIDATION, not war. And used a P90 to put it to shame. Though i do agree on zats.

Wraith Darts had some really amazing technology we should be studying heavily. This would be very useful in combat situations, taking captives, and possibly even moving equipment.
    I think we have tried adapting/using that tech, but have nt had much luck..

Comment

Originally posted by Ekras View Post
      We have not done nearly enough in ship development. We only have 2 classes of ship really. We need a mid-sized ship type, we need cargo ships, mining ships, etc. If we can't build them, than we should be trading for them and retrofitting them with our own technology when possible.
      We saw what could happen when a glider was retrofitted before. It didn't turn out very well. I'm not saying that would be the case with anything else, but I wouldn't be surprised if the LA decided to booby trap their ships also.

On that subject we should be trading for ships and other technologies. We have several distinct types of trading partners: The various criminal syndicates (Lucian Alliance, etc.), The Jaffa, The Tok'Ra, The Travelers, The Space Race worlds, The followers of the Ori (the Supergate is still there and many of them remain in our galaxy), etc.
      Who would trade their ships for what we could offer? We may have defeated the Gou'ald and the Ori, but it wasn't because we have awesome tech. It was because they were arrogant, and very confident that we weren't a threat after years of fighting. I certainly wouldn't trade an Ori toilet ship for anything we currently have. Except maybe the Ark of Truth.
      "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
      - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
        Watch the episode the Warrior (season 6 sg1). Teal'c is on a jaffa world showing the locals around, and Jack explains to them that the staff weapon is good for one thing. INTIMIDATION, not war. And used a P90 to put it to shame. Though i do agree on zats.
        This. I would like to see some Earth tech to rival the Zats.

Comment

Staff Weapons = No Ammo Needed!

Comment

Actually: Staff Weapons= Crappy aim. Unless your name is Teal'c anyway.

Comment

The ammunition is liquid naquadah.
              If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
              Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
              If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
              Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

There is only so much we can do without revealing the program to the public (it should be revealed, IMO, but I won't get into that now). F-302s can be shrugged off easily as just a top secret fighter jet, they can be easily built without arising too much suspicion.
                BC-304s and any large scale ship on the other hand, require those large underground bunkers, building the bunkers alone is costly, and it gets harder and harder to keep them a secret as you build more and more.

In season 10s episode "Bounty" we saw and heard a few things.
                1. We do have an energy-based weapon.
                2. The scientists working with the stargate program have to keep up the illusion that their inventions are the result of trial, error and revisions, lest they raise suspicions about where something came from.

On top of all of that, because Earth is distinctly lacking in naquadah, a materiel that is integral to nearly all Go'auld and Ancient tech, we need to mine it from other planets. The more mines, the more workers. The more workers, the greater chance of revealing the program.
                The Stargate program seems to only investigate and develop technology we are lacking. We were lacking in a viable method of defending ourselves from the Go'auld, so we built ships. We were never lacking in infantry weapons, and there was rarely a point in early parts of the series where a P90 would have been better off firing bolts of incredibly visible plasma.

Comment

Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered View Post
                  Actually: Staff Weapons= Crappy aim. Unless your name is Teal'c anyway.
                  Yup. Plus less range. A good firearm can kill out to 5 football fields in length. It would be hard to even see a Jaffa staff score a kill out to 1 football field.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                    Yup. Plus less range. A good firearm can kill out to 5 football fields in length. It would be hard to even see a Jaffa staff score a kill out to 1 football field.
                    It was shown that a good Jaffa couldn't even hit a slightly moving target very well from about 50 feet. I think it'd be pretty well impossible from a football field length.

Comment

That was more like 50 yards...

Comment

Working...
                      X