This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
    Thats not how it is though, its the exception to the rule that actors don't have good looks - its virtually a pre-requisite. There are actors who keep their looks even at RDA's age but he isn't one of them in my opinion, he just looks like an old man.
    and this is where we fall on personal opinion, where ours clearly differ
    sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
      and this is where we fall on personal opinion, where ours clearly differ
      Which part? that its almost always required actors to have good looks or that RDA no longer has good looks?

Comment

Its true though.
        No, it's not. It's just your personal opinion. In MY opinion RDA doesn't look bad at all, is getting back in shape - just ask anyone who attended MTM in August, people were impressed by how much weight he'd lost, how good he looked and how fit he seemed to be - and in no way is he too old for the lead role.

Its not to say that there are no old actors but RDA has made a career off of his looks and its hard for those actors to get away with looking like an average old guy in the way that actors who never relied on their looks do.
        Again, in your opinion. Out of curiosity, have you seen him in anything besides Stargate and MacGyver? I have, and based on that I can tell you that the man has talent - not to mention incredible charisma - and that talent & charisma have nothing to do with good looks. And yes, he still looks good.

I couldn't help but notice that you are a guy, and about 90% of criticisms of RDA's looks or mean remarks about his age are made by men. I wonder, why is that? As a girl I can assure you that RDA still has lots and lots of female fans who still find him hot. Let's put it that way: he's older than my father, but if he invited me over for a dinner I wouldn't turn him down. Some guys just are like that, no matter their age.

And now I'll bow out of here, before the discussion turns into ageism and slams, as it usually does. Check out various threads in the Movies folder, RDA's abilities to do the third movie were vastly discussed there.
        There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
        sigpic
        awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
          I couldn't help but notice that you are a guy, and about 90% of criticisms of RDA's looks or mean remarks about his age are made by men. I wonder, why is that? As a girl I can assure you that RDA still has lots and lots of female fans who still find him hot. Let's put it that way: he's older than my father, but if he invited me over for a dinner I wouldn't turn him down. Some guys just are like that, no matter their age.
          I expect its just because we aren't attracted to men (at least most of us) that we are able to objectively consider his looks without taking into consideration all the other things that make men attractive to women like charm, personality, charisma, sense of humor, hero worship and whatever else makes you attracted to him. In short, we aren't thinking with our ...okay that cliché doesn't work when talking about women but you probably get my point.

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
            RDA is getting to old to hold a leading role. I think their missing the buck by not passing the torch to Sheppard who has a remarkablely similar cavalier personality and yet different.
            As an SG1 fan for whom JF/Sheppard was the one of the main reasons I didn't watch Atlantis, I think you're the one missing the buck here. Altantis fans didn't and don't want SG1 horning in their show/film, and I'm sure most SG1 fans feel the same. Besides, Mitchell is leading SG1, as he should be, and Jack will be the general who gets in the mix. What would the movie need Sheppard for?

Not this again...
            It's always this. Always.

Umm, no, they aren't. Not every Jack fan likes Sheppard. Not everyone thinks they are in the same league even. And with all due respect to Joe Flannigan, his name isn't as well known and recognizible as RDA's.
            All of this, plus Sheppard is not an SG1 character, he's never been an SG1 character and there is no role for him to fill in an SG1 film. I doubt Atlantis fans would be happy seeing him ordered around by Mitchell, which is what would happen.

Its not to say that there are no old actors but RDA has made a career off of his looks and its hard for those actors to get away with looking like an average old guy in the way that actors who never relied on their looks do.
            And here I was thinking he's made a career off his ability to act. Silly me. But even if he had built his career on his looks (which I think is dead wrong) I just saw him a few months ago, and guess what? I still think he's handsome, and he was thinner and running around the room and seemed to be quite capable of acting in a film.
            Originally posted by Callista
            Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
            Originally posted by HPMom
            She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

Thats not how it is though, its the exception to the rule that actors don't have good looks - its virtually a pre-requisite. There are actors who keep their looks even at RDA's age but he isn't one of them in my opinion, he just looks like an old man.
              I must agree with you- I am a huge MacGyver fan (yep have the whole series and movies on dvds...thanks mom! ) and also enjoy sg1, but I don't find RDA overly attractive-- he's just not my cup of tea I guess. I also am not a huge fan of his acting abilities (mom still giggles whenever you mention RDA and General Hospital. ) so I am not dying to see a Jack-centric SG1 movie...let the man retire (as he so obviously wanted to in seasons 7 & 8 of SG1.) and cameo in the movie.

Sami_ are you a guy???? I always assumed you were a gal. sorry
              All of the above statments are merely my own opinion unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by Snookie16 View Post
                I must agree with you- I am a huge MacGyver fan (yep have the whole series and movies on dvds...thanks mom! ) and also enjoy sg1, but I don't find RDA overly attractive-- he's just not my cup of tea I guess. I also am not a huge fan of his acting abilities (mom still giggles whenever you mention RDA and General Hospital. ) so I am not dying to see a Jack-centric SG1 movie...let the man retire (as he so obviously wanted to in seasons 7 & 8 of SG1.) and cameo in the movie.

Sami_ are you a guy???? I always assumed you were a gal. sorry
                Yeah a guy

I think a lot of people mistake RDA's natural humor and witt with good acting, I'm not saying hes a bad actor but his personality just works on screen so well. The best actors have to work hard to become something they are not, thats not how I see RDA.

Comment

Yeah a guy

I think a lot of people mistake RDA's natural humor and witt with good acting, I'm not saying hes a bad actor but his personality just works on screen so well. The best actors have to work hard to become something they are not, thats not how I see RDA.
                  Which is why I asked you if you've ever seen him in other roles than O'Neill & MacGyver; and you still haven't replied.
                  There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                  sigpic
                  awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Which is why I asked you if you've ever seen him in other roles than O'Neill & MacGyver; and you still haven't replied.
                    I saw him in Legend where he puts on a poor attempt at an accent but otherwise seems like O'Neill in his inflections and personality.

I also see him in interviews and again he is more or less the same as the characters he portrays, same inflections, same humor but a tad less serious.

Comment

What´s after SGU... I would say nothingness and a depressed franchise, so I hope for 6 season minimum. If not my last hope for mankind is completely gone.
                      sigpic

Comment

Isn't RDA's age not only off topic but getting pretty close to personal insults about an actor?
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          Isn't RDA's age not only off topic but getting pretty close to personal insults about an actor?
                          yes
                          sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

I have to hand it to you folks, you really do know how to stifle conversation and debate.

The political correctness at Gateworld these days makes me want to puke.

Comment

I have to hand it to you folks, you really do know how to stifle conversation and debate.

The political correctness at Gateworld these days makes me want to puke.
                              I know. How dare us not to want to insult people physical features. What is this world coming to?
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                I know. How dare us not to want to insult people physical features. What is this world coming to?
                                I didn't insult him, I believe I said he was an average looking old guy.

Comment

Working...
                                X